James Perch

James

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Could just be the perspective of the player, but this is interesting:

"Looking back, I probably should have stayed and fought for my place, but I just knew that Mike (Ashley) didn't want me there. Pardew wasn't big enough to stand up to him and say, 'I want to play Perchy.' So, I just thought I'll leave.

Was Ashley a lot more involved in player decisions than we thought?

Ref MA not who to play. Just who to sell. Which would then make APs mind up in advance who to play leading up to the window.

Lots of folk remember him by his purple patch in CM but i can’t get away from his first few games at RB. I mean he was no right-footed Wayne Quinn but he was so inept at PL level, getting stupid bookings and then being unable to tackle for the rest of the game. I guess he found a niche as a basic but plucky emergency CM- an earlier Hayden- but I can’t look back favourably on this guy. We should have had better as with 100 other similar situations under Ashley. 

I’m glad he at least had a good time playing here and looks back on it fondly. But like Leon Best, I can’t understand the cult hero status afforded.

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Lots of folk remember him by his purple patch in CM but i can’t get away from his first few games at RB. I mean he was no right-footed Wayne Quinn but he was so inept at PL level, getting stupid bookings and then being unable to tackle for the rest of the game. I guess he found a niche as a basic but plucky emergency CM- an earlier Hayden- but I can’t look back favourably on this guy. We should have had better as with 100 other similar situations under Ashley. 

I’m glad he at least had a good time playing here and looks back on it fondly. But like Leon Best, I can’t understand the cult hero status afforded.

For about two or three games he was superb. Don't think you can blame him for the time he was playing in and I'm also glad he enjoyed it here and also put the effort in when it would have been easier to have given up and hidden like a few did.

Did like that article. 

Maybe my memory is failing me but I seem to remember we never properly recruited a RB that summer and he was thrown in. I was sat in the SE corner at the time so got a few 45 min masterclasses of full back work.

Through a series of barely comprehensible events a bloke I used to work with somehow ended up teaching Ryan Taylor and Perchinho how to fish around 2012ish. We were both at a charity coincidentally around about the same time we were also doing fishing lessons with some disabled kids.

My colleague told them about this and both Taylor and Perch turned up and spent all afternoon with the kids, getting photos and generally being absolutely fantastic human beings. It wasn’t club mandated, it wasn’t a publicity thing. As far as I can tell they turned up under their own steam as a thank

you to my mate.

Couldn’t give a shit how hopeless he was at right back, have boat loads of time for Perch (and Raylor) after that.

Adding to the “Perch is a canny bloke” chat, my mate once sorted him a replacement iPhone when he worked at the Apple Store in Eldon Square. My mate was having a bit crack with him about football and Perch sorted us two tickets for the Swansea game in 11/12. Told us to head to the players entrance and give his name and we were handed two tickets in an envelope. Absolutely no reason to do so but he certainly didn’t have to considering he could well afford a new phone. Just fancied giving back, top bloke.