Carrick - Fergie's correct.... and there's our midfield cornerstone.

sicsfingeredmong

Sir Alex Ferguson's response to criticism directed at the said player, criticism inferring that Carrick has made a limited contribution in the wake of his move to United.

Here are the main points:

"He just knows where is passing the ball and when to pass it"

"He knows the right angles and the right weight. His passing is absolutely fantastic"

and there's this in relation to those who have slipped into the false illusion that in order to be an effective midfield anchorman one has to "run around alot and fly into tackles all over the place", or he doesn't have the defensive capabality or muscle/steel needed to compliment the attacking machine.... the ever-forward bombing Scholes. In other words those who have spent too many wintery afternoons watching our midfield destroyer, aka Scott Parker, upending Joe Cole and others alike with a series of highlight worthy tackles.

"Just because you don't pund into tackles it doesn't mean you're not good at your job in terms of the positions you take up"

Ferguson's right on both counts, and this is where i make the comparison with the man who many supporters feel is Captain F*ckin Marvellous.

Matches are won & lossed on the back of turnovers - those critical moments, and there only is a second or two available, when the opposition midfield is caught in between attack and attack ie. before they've regained their defensive shape, while the passing lanes are open. Carrick's vision, or his ability to instantly see these available passing lanes, coupled with his passing range has complimented Scholes perfectly, a player who is at his best 'off the ball on the counter'. Carrick, unlike Parker, stays on his feet as a defender and is provide an instant launchpad when he does gain possession.

Ferguson has reinvented his midfield, and he should be commended for it......... we on the otherhand are stuck with a 6.5m mistake.

Can't say I fully agree.  I'm not Parkers biggest fan, far from it, but our frailties in attack are much less due to Parker going in full force on tackles and more due to absolutely shit positioning of the other midfielders, forwards and fullbacks. 

I think an anchorman is only as good as his supporting cast.  Too many times a game you'll see Parker with the ball at feet, twisting, turning, trying to find a fucking outlet and yet there is none, so it gets passed back and lumped forward -- and where are our other midfielders during all this?  Standing still as statues.  Carrick on the other hand has the likes of Scholes, Rooney, Giggs, Ronaldo, Neville and Heinze "bombing forward" running into space, actually looking to get onto a pass, actually asking to be passed to. 

And though I too feel he doesn't stay on his feet enough, I don't buy that it's the biggest reason, or even one of the bigger reasons, that we're shite going forward/countering -- our midfield as a whole doesn't seem know how to transition, creating forward outlets and running into space is a mystery to them as off the ball positioning is a fairy tale. 

Can't say I fully agree.  I'm not Parkers biggest fan, far from it, but our frailties in attack are much less due to Parker going in full force on tackles and more due to absolutely shit positioning of the other midfielders, forwards and fullbacks. 

I think an anchorman is only as good as his supporting cast.   Too many times a game you'll see Parker with the ball at feet, twisting, turning, trying to find a ****ing outlet and yet there is none, so it gets passed back and lumped forward -- and where are our other midfielders during all this?  Standing still as statues.   Carrick on the other hand has the likes of Scholes, Rooney, Giggs, Ronaldo, Neville and Heinze "bombing forward" running into space, actually looking to get onto a pass, actually asking to be passed to.   

And though I too feel he doesn't stay on his feet enough, I don't buy that it's the biggest reason, or even one of the bigger reasons, that we're shite going forward/countering -- our midfield as a whole doesn't seem know how to transition, creating forward outlets and running into space is a mystery to them as off the ball positioning is a fairy tale. 

Agreed, stick Dyer in centre mid alongside Parker and viva la difference

I think the reason Man U have stepped up a gear is actually Ryan Giggs, who for some reason is playing the best football of his career.

Interesting that Man U are still after Hargreaves, who does run around all day, upending people, but Carrick's passing is very good and as you say, in turnovers, that's very useful. I don't think a top team can afford to have an anchor man who's just a clogger, because a player in that position does see a lot of the ball, and if he loses it a lot or delays an attack, then that's a problem. Ideally, you need someone who can both tackle and pass to a top level (Keane, Makelele, Viera) but players like that are not common, and you usually have to make some compromise.

I have to confess that I thought Parker was going to be a bit more comfortable in possession than he seems to be, and although he's done a good job, I'm a bit disappointed so far.

carrick has not impressed me this season - although i have to admit that i've not seen all manure matches.

but from what i've seen i think he makes way too many mistakes - he often misplaces even short easy passes, and that has led to your precious turnovers!

the only reason he is looking good is the team around him - both attacking a defensive. both giggs and ronaldo are playing their best football ever, and vidic is turning out to be a great signing too...

i do, however, think he'll improve as he gets used to his new team...

as for parker - as is pointed out, no one gives him an outlet, there is far too little movement in our team. combine that with the fact, that the he just knows that getting caught on the break will quite likely lead to a goal against us due to our shite defence.

it is the entire team - not parker alone that is the problem!

Guest theunis

Yeah Parker is on the ground allot, but at least he gives 100%, but on the Carrick issue he has not been overly great at Man U yet, people have been off his case i think because his team mates are great around him and Man U have been on a good run, but Hargreaves is class and should be good signing where ever he goes

Sir Alex Ferguson's response to criticism directed at the said player, criticism inferring that Carrick has made a limited contribution in the wake of his move to United.

"He knows the right angles and the right weight. His passing is absolutely fantastic"

and there's this in relation to those who have slipped into the false illusion that in order to be an effective midfield anchorman one has to "run around alot and fly into tackles all over the place", or he doesn't have the defensive capabality or muscle/steel needed to compliment the attacking machine.... the ever-forward bombing Scholes. In other words those who have spent too many wintery afternoons watching our midfield destroyer, aka Scott Parker, upending Joe Cole and others alike with a series of highlight worthy tackles.

"Just because you don't pund into tackles it doesn't mean you're not good at your job in terms of the positions you take up"

Ferguson's right on both counts, and this is where i make the comparison with the man who many supporters feel is Captain F*ckin Marvellous.

Matches are won & lossed on the back of turnovers - those critical moments, and there only is a second or two available, when the opposition midfield is caught in between attack and attack ie. before they've regained their defensive shape, while the passing lanes are open. Carrick's vision, or his ability to instantly see these available passing lanes, coupled with his passing range has complimented Scholes perfectly, a player who is at his best 'off the ball on the counter'. Carrick, unlike Parker, stays on his feet as a defender and is provide an instant launchpad when he does gain possession.

Ferguson has reinvented his midfield, and he should be commended for it......... we on the otherhand are stuck with a 6.5m mistake.

Couldn't agree more.

I like Carrick but I still think they paid over the odds for him. Then again, £18million on a good player is better value than £9.5million on a shite one.

Not sure what thread to put this in, I have been half following the Luque thread. Now what Fergie is saying about Carrick could that  apply to Luque. Some have written him off because he doesn`t run around like a headless chicken and tackling back when the team is under pressure.  What Luque does do when given the chance is get in the right positions to score as he has done when the odd cross does actually appear in the right place.

He normally does fuck all tbh. If he'd played more, I'm sure the stats would tell a truer picture. I'm not really prepared to have him playing just to prove the people on here who love him wrong though.

Guest Gemmill

Not sure what thread to put this in, I have been half following the Luque thread. Now what Fergie is saying about Carrick could that  apply to Luque. Some have written him off because he doesn`t run around like a headless chicken and tackling back when the team is under pressure.  What Luque does do when given the chance is get in the right positions to score as he has done when the odd cross does actually appear in the right place.

I think it's safe to say that Alex Ferguson wouldn't be offering up a similar defence for Luque if he was turning in the performances for MUFC that he has for NUFC.

I think it's safe to say that Alex Ferguson wouldn't be offering up a similar defence for Luque if he was turning in the performances for MUFC that he has for NUFC.

Thats true, I reckon Fergie would rip his head off, but the main bit is as long as he is doing what he is paid to do who cares how he goes about it. Lets face it if our team was class then he wouldn`t have to have the headless chicken bit as a big must for the team. When Arsenal were class you never saw Henry covering the whole pitch like a gimp. I think I have come to the conclusion that although he maybe a class player he isn`t cut out for a team like ours. He is more suited to a team that puts passing ahead of workrate.

Guest Gemmill

Thats true, I reckon Fergie would rip his head off, but the main bit is as long as he is doing what he is paid to do who cares how he goes about it. Lets face it if our team was class then he wouldn`t have to have the headless chicken bit as a big must for the team. When Arsenal were class you never saw Henry covering the whole pitch like a gimp. I think I have come to the conclusion that although he maybe a class player he isn`t cut out for a team like ours. He is more suited to a team that puts passing ahead of workrate.

I've seen very little evidence of this class you talk about tbh.  No one would complain if he wasn't that hard a worker but looked like a matchwinner.  Robert used to do that once upon a time.  Luque just doesn't look very good and he doesn't work.  It really annoys me when people try to suggest that he's somehow above us and needs a team more suited to his vast talents.  He needs to demonstrate some talent first.

Henry works a canny bit harder than Luque. Any other comparisons between the two are ludicrous too.

Completely agree it would be mental. I was trying to think of one of the only teams in the premiership that puts passing and intelligent positions before workrate. Basically thats what we got with Luque. Someone who isn`t a firery player but can finish and take up intelligent positions. Unfortunatly one of the only decent balls played to him by our players was the Milner cross he scored from.

Team NEWCASTLE UNITED League Rank     

Games 13       

Goals                        8              19     

Shots                    118            12      :lol:   

Conversion %          7%            19        :lol:   

Passes                  4750            8          Good passing   

Pass %                    72%          9          Also good passing but its all backwards

Crosses                    277          14          There is the problem    Duff/Milner

Cross %                  17%        20          There is the problem    Duff/Milner

Tackles                      375          1            Says it all really we never keep the ball

Tackle %                    74%    17            The most tackles but rarely won

Fouls                          189        7     

Yellow Cards              27          3     

Red Cards                      1        8

Shooting

Player                                  Shots Shot %   

1 Scott Parker                      18 44.4%   

2 Obafemi Martins                18 22.2%   

3 Damien Duff                        13 69.2%   

4 Shola Ameobi                      11 54.5%   

5 Charles N Zogbia                10 30.0%

Passing

Player                      Passes Pass %   

1 Scott Parker                556 80.6%   

2 Stephen Carr              440 74.5%   

3 Belozoglu Emre          400 83.5%   

4 Craig Moore                393 73.5%   

5 Titus Bramble              354 58.8%      Titus ahead of our wingers

Crossing

Player                                          Crosses Cross %   

1 Belozoglu                                        Emre 64 25.0%   

2 Damien Duff                                            51 15.7%   

3 James Milner                                          49 20.4%   

4 Stephen Carr                                          27 7.4%   

5 Nolberto Solano                                      22 18.2%

No left back crosses

Tackling

Player                      Tackles Tackle %   

1 Scott Parker                    73 75.3%   

2 Craig Moore                    37 70.3%   

3 Stephen Carr                  32 75.0%   

4 Titus Bramble                  29 82.8%      Good percentage considering the stick he gets

5 Belozoglu Emre                28 78.6%   

Dribbling

Player                        Dribbles Dribble %   

1 James Milner                  38 52.6%   

2 Charles N Zogbia            33 54.5%   

3 Damien Duff                    25 56.0%    Surely Duff should be top. 

4 Belozoglu Emre                20 45.0%   

5 Scott Parker                    14 64.3%

He normally does fuck all tbh. If he'd played more, I'm sure the stats would tell a truer picture. I'm not really prepared to have him playing just to prove the people on here who love him wrong though.

Dunno, like. AFAIK, we've only won three times this season and two of those wins are down to goals from Parker.

He normally does **** all tbh. If he'd played more, I'm sure the stats would tell a truer picture. I'm not really prepared to have him playing just to prove the people on here who love him wrong though.

Dunno, like. AFAIK, we've only won three times this season and two of those wins are down to goals from Parker.

Sorry, I was referring to Luque from the previous post.