On this day...

Tooj

• 1 month later...

NUFC 8-0 Sheff Wed.

Memory of this day was following it on the Sunday live Sky game (think it was Spurs) and they kept showing the goals as they went in. Remember the first update being Martin Tyler describing, 'Andy Booth thought he'd put the visitors 1 up but it was ruled out, before Aaron Hughes gave the home side the lead'. Then as the eighth was being shown Andy Gray saying, 'Jesus, not another one?'. :lol:

NUFC 8-0 Sheff Wed.

Memory of this day was following it on the Sunday live Sky game (think it was Spurs) and they kept showing the goals as they went in. Remember the first update being Martin Tyler describing, 'Andy Booth thought he'd put the visitors 1 up but it was ruled out, before Aaron Hughes gave the home side the lead'. Then as the eighth was being shown Andy Gray saying, 'Jesus, not another one?'. :lol:

I was at that match. Hell of a day. Other match I went to that season was the 5-0 against Southampton. I should have hired myself out as a talisman.

37 years ago - the great Tony Green was forced to retire due to injury.

According to many that witnessed him play - the best they've ever seen in a black & white shirt.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7804/7895151879751257978619.jpg

We got Tudor from Sheffield and Hibbitt from Leeds, MacDonald from luton and Smith Aberdeen, but we've got the greatest the world's ever seen, we bought him from Blackpool, his name's Tony Green...

Tony Green was one of the greatest players we have had over the last 47 years that I have been following NUFC.

I kept these newspaper cutting from that sad time in November 1973 . . .

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/manorpark_photos/Newcastle%204/Newcastle%205/TonyGreen-November1973_0002_zpsissyiys9.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/manorpark_photos/Newcastle%204/Newcastle%205/Tony%20Green%20-%20November%201973_0003_zpsuoakoyfr.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/manorpark_photos/Newcastle%204/Newcastle%205/Tony%20Green%20-%20November%201973_0004_zpsx0fpngqi.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/manorpark_photos/Newcastle%204/Newcastle%205/Tony%20Green%20-%20November%201973_0001_zpskim9npnm.jpg

Guest Howaythetoon

A few of the older gen I know say Green was a combination of Beardsley (quick feet etc.) and Zidane (controlling a match, strength, aura etc. on pitch). They all say with 100% absolute certainty he was the best they've ever seen in a Toon top and one guy saw Wor Jackie in his prime. Who by all accounts wasn't the best footballer, but had a lethal shot, was quick and a cool finisher. Best player based on everything I've read for us was Hughie Gallacher. Match reports, opposition comments, fan comments, stats etc. I studied that man for like 5 years and wanted to write a book about him. My fucking hero along with KK, Kurt Cobain and Optimus Prime...

He more than anyone in our history along with KK optimises NUFC in every way. If I could time travel... 1927, the swinging 20s, NUFC about to be crowned Champions, Wee Hughie leading the line as Captain, all 5.4 of him, terrorising defenders all over the world. We once beat a crack Brazilian team 7-0 IIRC on some world tour and were regarded as the best team in world football by the entire press the world over when it came to football. Such a tragic story for Hughie.

A few of the older gen I know say Green was a combination of Beardsley (quick feet etc.) and Zidane (controlling a match, strength, aura etc. on pitch). They all say with 100% absolute certainty he was the best they've ever seen in a Toon top and one guy saw Wor Jackie in his prime. Who by all accounts wasn't the best footballer, but had a lethal shot, was quick and a cool finisher. Best player based on everything I've read for us was Hughie Gallacher. Match reports, opposition comments, fan comments, stats etc. I studied that man for like 5 years and wanted to write a book about him. My f***ing hero along with KK, Kurt Cobain and Optimus Prime...

He more than anyone in our history along with KK optimises NUFC in every way. If I could time travel... 1927, the swinging 20s, NUFC about to be crowned Champions, Wee Hughie leading the line as Captain, all 5.4 of him, terrorising defenders all over the world. We once beat a crack Brazilian team 7-0 IIRC on some world tour and were regarded as the best team in world football by the entire press the world over when it came to football. Such a tragic story for Hughie.

I love your posts about the 20s HTT.

In regards to Green, I've heard this many a time? !

Guest Howaythetoon

It was our golden period, by far the best team in world football. The 50s we were the Cup Kings and famously gave up on a genuine title challenge to concentrate on the FA Cup (we won) which back then was considered glamorous, and for players laden with bonuses. The league back then was a slog and not considered glamorous at all. Friendlies against exotic teams from abroad and even Ireland would often draw in bigger crowds than league games and considered more lucrative for players.

NUFC as an institution is historically a key club in the history of the game. We were heavily involved in the creation of what is now known as the modern off-side law and the play-off system.

Players would arrive at the Central Station, here a whistle and think bloody hell we aren't even on the pitch and the ref has blown for off-side. That's how good defensively we once were.

So good they changed the god damn law...

Back to Hughie Gallacher, he arrived here and no-one knew anything about him other from a few lines of press clippings so when he first took to the pitch there were audible gasps from the crowd used to 15 stone plus Albert Shepherd, a beast of a CF for us btw. Not black either TCD...

5ft 4in or whatever, they laughed and thought no chance. He would terrorise defenders, however. Kicked black and blue, but never bettered. He famously went in at half-time during one match having taking an almighty kicking and chinned a referee for not protecting him more. His retaliation was to nut meg defenders, dribble around them 3 or 4 times, and then lob the often behemoth 'keeper from 25 yards before jiggling away to the delight of 60K plus crowds who would chant his name and make him the first darling of the Gallowgate.

We sold him to Chelsea for a world record fee and our highest ever attendance to this day stands the day he returned as an opposition player. Bear in mind back then the away team got 15% of the gate... the club fiddled the true figures. I've read reports from then respected journalists who reckoned 100K attended, with thousands outside and on the roof tops of the Leazes houses.

He was a flash bugger, he would wear a genuine fur skin coat, smoke expensive cigars, swig brandy and walk around in top hat like royalty. He famously gave his coat to a beggar at the Central Station, a packet of fags and a few shillings. A hero, but a man of the people and they loved him for it.

A wominser and alcoholic he tragically killed himself jumping into a train at ironically no man's crossing in Gateshead. He threw an ashtray at his son which struck him and marked him, social services got involved and he basically couldn't live with himself. He had lost his first wife too at that stage, was a drunkard and obviously couldn't cope without football.

A tragic end for a tragic figure who for Newcastle United scored the following in the following matches:

143 goals in 174 matches

Only Andy Cole has a better goals to minutes record.

Hughie Gallacher for me is our greatest ever player.

It was our golden period, by far the best team in world football. The 50s we were the Cup Kings and famously gave up on a genuine title challenge to concentrate on the FA Cup (we won) which back then was considered glamorous, and for players laden with bonuses. The league back then was a slog and not considered glamorous at all. Friendlies against exotic teams from abroad and even Ireland would often draw in bigger crowds than league games and considered more lucrative for players.

NUFC as an institution is historically a key club in the history of the game. We were heavily involved in the creation of what is now known as the modern off-side law and the play-off system.

Players would arrive at the Central Station, here a whistle and think bloody hell we aren't even on the pitch and the ref has blown for off-side. That's how good defensively we once were.

Back to Hughie Gallacher, he arrived here and no-one knew anything about him other from a few lines of press clippings so when he first took to the pitch there were audible gasps from the crowd used to 15 stone plus Albert Shepherd, a beast of a CF for us btw. Not black either TCD...

5ft 4in or whatever, they laughed and thought no chance. He would terrorise defenders, however. Kicked black and blue, but never bettered. He famously went in at half-time during one match having taking an almighty kicking and chinned a referee for not protecting him more. His retaliation was to nut meg defenders, dribble around them 3 or 4 times, and then lob the often behemoth 'keeper from 25 yards before jiggling away to the delight of 60K plus crowds who would chant his name and make him the first darling of the Gallowgate.

We sold him to Chelsea for a world record fee and our highest ever attendance to this day stands the day he returned as an opposition player. Bear in mind back then the away team got 15% of the gate... the club fiddled the true figures. I've read reports from then respected journalists who reckoned 100K attended, with thousands outside and on the roof tops of the Leazes houses.

He was a flash bugger, he would wear a genuine fur skin coat, smoke expensive cigars, swig brandy and walk around in top hat like royalty. He famously gave his coat to a beggar at the Central Station, a packet of fags and a few shillings. A hero, but a man of the people and they loved him for it.

A wominser and alcoholic he tragically killed himself jumping into a train at ironically no man's crossing in Gateshead. He threw an ashtray at his son which struck him and marked him, social services got involved and he basically couldn't live with himself. He had lost his first wife too at that stage, was a drunkard and obviously couldn't cope without football.

A tragic end for a tragic figure who for Newcastle United scored the following in the following matches:

143 goals in 174 matches

Fantastic stuff. I'd buy the book if you write it!

I knew about the offside trap. Frank Hudspeth was the genius behind it IIRC. Wasn't he basically one of the first ever coaches, using a blackboard for tactics in which he designed the then offside trap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew about the offside trap. Frank Hudspeth was the genius behind it IIRC. Wasn't he basically one of the first ever coaches, using a blackboard for tactics in which he designed the then offside trap?

Bill McCracken, weren't it?

Bill McCracken, weren't it?

Aye.

143 goals in 174 matches

Greatest ever player for us ? I'd still go Colin Veitch mind and no I never saw him live.

• 1 month later...

Nicely summed up by .com!

2015 mackems (a)

0-3 (0-1)

Premier League

Coloccini(45+1-professional foul)(later rescinded)

Johnson(45+3pen), Jones(65), Fletcher(86)

Another new mackem manager used the wear-Tyne derby to register their first victory as United were again on the wrong side of a 0-3 defeat that simply defied logic and belief.

The fact that it was former boss Sam Allardyce, made it even more galling but referee Bobby Madley's staggering decision to send off Fabricio Coloccini and award a penalty in first half stoppage completely changed the course of the game.

The dismissal was of course later rescinded, while the spot-kick was converted by soon-to-be convicted paedophile, Adam Johnson, still allowed to play by a club that already had in its possession overwhelming evidence that would eventually see him jailed. They fucking knew.

Also a year ago on this day we hammered Preston 6-0 in the League Cup, probably one of the most dominant Newcastle performances I've ever seen, even when it was 11 v 11. Up there with the best performances I've seen at SJP live.

Wasn't there but that was such a class game and result, really epitomised the upturn in mood from from the previous two-three years. 50k for a League Cup game, having paid a reasonable price to get in, and a resounding battering of a team we were so far beyond, even though we shared a division with them. Great stuff.

I remember how mad I was that day. We absolutely battered them. Come to think of it didn't the same thing happen the day Tiote got sent off at their place a couple of years before that and we ended up throwing away the 3 points? Lucky bastards.