On this day...

Tooj

Find it quite astonishing that folk can say that based on 33 games. How come it took 14 months post-injury to announce his retirement?

Because we haven't seen anyone better even after playing hundreds of games.  Green was simply the best.  He could give opposition players a 3 yard start and still beat them to a loose ball comfortably and then accelerate away. Brilliant dribbling skills a thunderbolt shot from distance  and could ping a long ball pass to feet.  He literally terrified defenders and his career ending injury was caused by the only way he could be stopped by fouling him!

I love how every NUFC fan over the age of around 60 swoons over Tony Green. Seen clips of him for Scotland v England and the win at Man U after we lost at Hereford and he looks amazing. Wish there was more footage of that era with him and Supermac, etc.

I love how every NUFC fan over the age of around 60 swoons over Tony Green. Seen clips of him for Scotland v England and the win at Man U after we lost at Hereford and he looks amazing. Wish there was more footage of that era with him and Supermac, etc.

He was before my time as a supporter - he retired before i was even born.

But he was supposedly an outstanding player. And yes, I wouldve loved to have seen more of him on old vids.

You got a link for those clips? Not sure I've seen video footage of him but aye, my Dad is another one who would wax lyrical about him.

He was before my time as a supporter - he retired before i was even born.

But he was supposedly an outstanding player. And yes, I wouldve loved to have seen more of him on old vids.

He was great on Bullseye.

Was a rather 'charged atmosphere' at that game.

1980, god feels like yesterday. 41 years ago...jesus.

Thankfully game/sport has moved on for the most part, still undoubtedly violence attached but certainly nowhere near the levels we had to endure for the majority of match going fans.

Away games were gauntlets of fear, that's my abiding memory of going anywhere to see us play. London probably being the worst of the worst.

Second leg of the Olympiakos pummelling 16 years ago today. Cracking win. Pity it all fell apart so dramatically two ties later.

14 European games in 14 years since Ashley arrived. One solitary season playing European football.

In the 14 years prior it was 92 games across 11 individual  seasons. This club used to compete in Europe.

Guest reefatoon

Loved that game. The amount of shots we had was ridiculous (was over 30 wasn’t it?). We absolutely destroyed them.

• 2 weeks later...

He'd been terrorised all day too by HBA, to the point that being chucked in nets was probably a welcome relief.

Probably the most enjoyable game from that side. HBA & Cisse at their absolute best, Carroll booked for diving, Jose in nets & Kenny wandering about like a lost old bloke. :lol: 

It's doing the rounds today as its 3 years ago so going to get ahead of it and say I don't like that Leicester clip. So many hospital balls when we had a chance to get a hold of it but it's treated as class because we went in for 50-50's.

19 years ago today we drew with Blackburn 2-2 to qualify for the Champions League. Can't believe it was that long ago! 

These quotes by SBR are a far cry from those within the club these days...

"It is marvellous for the players and for the fans. 

"When we started this season I thought we would jump up to about eighth and perhaps be on the tip of the Uefa Cup places. I never dreamt we would get into the Champions League. We've got a terrific stadium and a terrific crowd so we ought to be playing in the Champions League - there is nothing in the North-East that counts more than football and we should now be able to persuade anybody to come to Newcastle.

"I am really proud of the players. We've worked hard and it has been a long season. We did suffer a blip, but we deserve this, my second season at the club was put on hold by injuries but my third has been quite dramatic.

"I am looking forward to the challenge. It will be a good experience for the players, but they will have to learn how to defend better or we will be out before we begin.

"It's only three years since we looked to be going down and now look at us, but we have to make sure we hold our own. We need to try to find two quality players in the summer. We have got a very good squad here but we still need to strengthen and it's important that we are buying at the top end of the market."

"I won't be happy until we bring some silverware to this great club in this great city which has such a magnificent stadium and public.

"The real thrill is actually winning something and that's I want for these people. We are in the top four and now the hard works starts now to stay there and to try and get higher.

"The club was in a mess when I came but we have been able to jump 16 places up the Premiership table. It's so difficult to climb even one place in the Premiership these days and this is a measure of how well we have done.

"I suppose to go into the Champions' League is an achievement of some note and there are a lot of people at this football club who have deserved a lot of credit.

"We have great spirit and great character in our team and there has been a great will to win from the side throughout the whole season.

"Don't forget that we came back from being behind at both Arsenal and Leeds United - and how many teams are capable of doing that?

"I said to the players after the FA Cup defeat at Arsenal that from now until the end of the season we should not lose a match.

"And so far, with two games still to go, this has been the case. Usually to get into the Champions' League you have got to go into the last match still needing something, yet we have done it with six points still to play for.

"There are so many terrific characters here with a great attitude who want to do well for Newcastle United. We are there now and it is our intention to stay there."