On this day...

Tooj

On 01/01/2022 at 12:51, Dancing Brave said:

NYD 1980

Newcastle United 3 mackems 1 

A mental day in the Toon.

Any of the older Newcastle fans remember this song...

I remember the day we played sunland at home...

The red and white bastards they scored the first goal

But when it was over and when it was done

We beat the mackems by 3 goals to one

Young Peter Cartwright he scored our first goal

Then Tom Cass netted the best of them all

5 minutes late a penalty was given

If Alan missed he would have been forgiven

But when he stepped up

He did not miss

For the last half hour...we just took the piss. 

Classic days, both those new years wins. Not heard that song for ages but it's a classic too. Got a mate who doesn't get out much these days due to ill health but when he did he would never fail to belt that song out once he got a few drinks down him.

My first ever game, 16 years ago today. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, being made to watch Martin Brittain playing and Graeme Souness on the touchline. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

27 years ago today since the Cantona king-fu kick. I remember there was talk of a lifetime ban at the time for him. We’d have been champions 18 months later if that happened. Oh well.

Was coming out the Wimbledon match and heard someone say under the Leazes "Cantona's been sent off for kicking a phone" nice gag I thought.

Or if he'd got just any ban at all for kicking Albert and stamping on Shearer and Beardsley in the same match we'd have been champions the next year.

You'd think he played for Man United or something.

44 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was coming out the Wimbledon match and heard someone say under the Leazes "Cantona's been sent off for kicking a phone" nice gag I thought.

Or if he'd got just any ban at all for kicking Albert and stamping on Shearer and Beardsley in the same match we'd have been champions the next year.

You'd think he played for Man United or something.

Something something 'Shearer kicked Lennon that time' 

1 hour ago, elbee909 said:

Cost anyone the league his not being suspended for it?

Still think three is more than one myself.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, elbee909 said:

I know you're not drawing an equivalence here, but there's a SLIGHT difference between player on player violence, which is sadly relatively common, and player on paying customer violence. :lol:

On 11/01/2022 at 08:32, Paully said:

Lee Dixon - twat!

I was there that day - Ginola was kicked to buggery by Dixon, cheating little bastard, before eventually getting red carded when the frustration boiled over.   Taught me to hate ‘PFM’ ‘don’t like it up ‘em’ shite from English football ‘hard men’.  Never really played as well for us again - he only scored three league goals in his remaining 18 months at the club after that league cup exit at Highbury.  Had looked like a world beater in the first six months.

I love going on nufc.coms "on this day" section and reading through old match reports, particularly when it was a big game/win under Robson. 

https://www.nufc.com/html/2002-03html/2003-01-29tottenham-a.html

NUFC.com says this win took us 2nd, some achievement that when you consider that defence - particularly OBrien at right back. 

Robsons post match interviews are always full of enthusiasm. 

On 29/01/2022 at 09:53, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

I love going on nufc.coms "on this day" section and reading through old match reports, particularly when it was a big game/win under Robson. 

https://www.nufc.com/html/2002-03html/2003-01-29tottenham-a.html

NUFC.com says this win took us 2nd, some achievement that when you consider that defence - particularly OBrien at right back. 

Robsons post match interviews are always full of enthusiasm. 

I remember that one. Think Arsenal were also playing that night and Wenger was asked if he saw us as contenders and he just said ‘no, not really’ or something similar. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Robster said:

What a goal that was man, Unreal skill and presence of mind.

The state of the defending though, worse than the pitch [emoji38]