On this day...

Tooj

Jesus I have absolutely no recollection of that penalty. Must have put such trauma out of my mind as a defence mechanism. 

Aye, I thought we might be okay n'all. Against Pardew, too, the cunt. 

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Genuinely thought we were going to stay up after this. 

Same! One of the few times I’ve been back to SJP since I stopped going regularly around 2013. So wanted us to stay up for Rafa. The celebrations were mental in level 7 for the goal and also the Cabaye penalty save. Still sure he missed it on purpose too 

Was fairytale stuff that pen save (well our kind of fairytale) - for it to be in Cabye and Pardew. Remember the picture of Townesend celebrating became a big thing. I wasn't there, but a proper buzz for those games - mad that we didn't stay up with that run - done by Allardyce.

1992. 2-1 win at Leicester to avoid potential relegation to Sunland level, 3rd tier. Other results meant our result didn't matter but we were so close to disaster. Absolute hell on that day. Pitch invasions, seats thrown. David Kelly seeking refuge in the Toon end even. Watched the goals on YouTube today and probably felt more nervous than I did at the game even though I knew the outcome. Think I travelled that day resigned to us being relegated cos Leicester were a good promotion chasing side that season.

• 2 weeks later...

It is criminal. Just read the nufc.com match report from that fantastic day. So saddening, no maddening to think of how a great club has been allowed to decline. It was all coming together at the end of that season. The team was showing potential. The fans were united and happy. We'll never know but I believe even moderate backing would have kept Rafa. The club committed suicide that summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...