On this day...

19 years ago today we drew with Blackburn 2-2 to qualify for the Champions League. Can't believe it was that long ago! 

These quotes by SBR are a far cry from those within the club these days...

"It is marvellous for the players and for the fans. 

"When we started this season I thought we would jump up to about eighth and perhaps be on the tip of the Uefa Cup places. I never dreamt we would get into the Champions League. We've got a terrific stadium and a terrific crowd so we ought to be playing in the Champions League - there is nothing in the North-East that counts more than football and we should now be able to persuade anybody to come to Newcastle.

"I am really proud of the players. We've worked hard and it has been a long season. We did suffer a blip, but we deserve this, my second season at the club was put on hold by injuries but my third has been quite dramatic.

"I am looking forward to the challenge. It will be a good experience for the players, but they will have to learn how to defend better or we will be out before we begin.

"It's only three years since we looked to be going down and now look at us, but we have to make sure we hold our own. We need to try to find two quality players in the summer. We have got a very good squad here but we still need to strengthen and it's important that we are buying at the top end of the market."

"I won't be happy until we bring some silverware to this great club in this great city which has such a magnificent stadium and public.

"The real thrill is actually winning something and that's I want for these people. We are in the top four and now the hard works starts now to stay there and to try and get higher.

"The club was in a mess when I came but we have been able to jump 16 places up the Premiership table. It's so difficult to climb even one place in the Premiership these days and this is a measure of how well we have done.

"I suppose to go into the Champions' League is an achievement of some note and there are a lot of people at this football club who have deserved a lot of credit.

"We have great spirit and great character in our team and there has been a great will to win from the side throughout the whole season.

"Don't forget that we came back from being behind at both Arsenal and Leeds United - and how many teams are capable of doing that?

"I said to the players after the FA Cup defeat at Arsenal that from now until the end of the season we should not lose a match.

"And so far, with two games still to go, this has been the case. Usually to get into the Champions' League you have got to go into the last match still needing something, yet we have done it with six points still to play for.

"There are so many terrific characters here with a great attitude who want to do well for Newcastle United. We are there now and it is our intention to stay there."

Jesus I have absolutely no recollection of that penalty. Must have put such trauma out of my mind as a defence mechanism. 

Aye, I thought we might be okay n'all. Against Pardew, too, the cunt. 

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Genuinely thought we were going to stay up after this. 

Same! One of the few times I’ve been back to SJP since I stopped going regularly around 2013. So wanted us to stay up for Rafa. The celebrations were mental in level 7 for the goal and also the Cabaye penalty save. Still sure he missed it on purpose too 

Was fairytale stuff that pen save (well our kind of fairytale) - for it to be in Cabye and Pardew. Remember the picture of Townesend celebrating became a big thing. I wasn't there, but a proper buzz for those games - mad that we didn't stay up with that run - done by Allardyce.

1992. 2-1 win at Leicester to avoid potential relegation to Sunland level, 3rd tier. Other results meant our result didn't matter but we were so close to disaster. Absolute hell on that day. Pitch invasions, seats thrown. David Kelly seeking refuge in the Toon end even. Watched the goals on YouTube today and probably felt more nervous than I did at the game even though I knew the outcome. Think I travelled that day resigned to us being relegated cos Leicester were a good promotion chasing side that season.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic weekend, Geordies took over the Thames and on the train home, we were all optimistic that Rafa and Rondon would stay.......criminal FFS

It is criminal. Just read the nufc.com match report from that fantastic day. So saddening, no maddening to think of how a great club has been allowed to decline. It was all coming together at the end of that season. The team was showing potential. The fans were united and happy. We'll never know but I believe even moderate backing would have kept Rafa. The club committed suicide that summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...