Newcastle

Guest Tall Striker

Guest firetotheworks

I have to say like, I despise all of the big Geordie bands. All of them just sound like horrible, tacky, cringey shite.

Guest firetotheworks

I have to say like, I despise all of the big Geordie bands. All of them just sound like horrible, tacky, cringey s****.

all ? i can only think of 1.

edit. 2.

Lindisfarne,

Dire Straits,

Pet Shop Boys,

Dubstar,

The Lighthouse Family,

The Wildhearts.

I have to say like, I despise all of the big Geordie bands. All of them just sound like horrible, tacky, cringey s****.

edit. 2.

Lindisfarne,

Dire Straits,

Pet Shop Boys,

Dubstar,

The Lighthouse Family,

The Wildhearts.

dire straits weren't geordie (2 out of 4, they were as much a leicester band) as weren't the pet shop boys and the others are hardly big. i was thinking of lindisfarne and the animals.

Guest firetotheworks

edit. 2.

Lindisfarne,

Dire Straits,

Pet Shop Boys,

Dubstar,

The Lighthouse Family,

The Wildhearts.

dire straits weren't geordie (2 out of 4, they were as much a leicester band) as weren't the pet shop boys and the others are hardly big. i was thinking of lindisfarne and the animals.

Semantics really. Knopfler was the main songwriter in Dire Straits. I enjoyed The Animals to an extent. I still think the best popular band to come out of Newcastle (and Sunderland) is Maximo Park.

edit. 2.

Lindisfarne,

Dire Straits,

Pet Shop Boys,

Dubstar,

The Lighthouse Family,

The Wildhearts.

Semantics really. Knopfler was the main songwriter in Dire Straits. I enjoyed The Animals to an extent. I still think the best popular band to come out of Newcastle (and Sunderland) is Maximo Park.

dire straits were formed in london aswell. but as you say he was the main singer and songwriter....why did you miss the police off your list ?

edit. 2.

Lindisfarne,

Dire Straits,

Pet Shop Boys,

Dubstar,

The Lighthouse Family,

The Wildhearts.

And Billingham.

Guest firetotheworks

edit. 2.

Lindisfarne,

Dire Straits,

Pet Shop Boys,

Dubstar,

The Lighthouse Family,

The Wildhearts.

dire straits were formed in london aswell. but as you say he was the main singer and songwriter....why did you miss the police off your list ?

Aye. Well, I love a few songs by The Police. The others I mentioned have a 'sound' about them, that sounds wrong to me. It's something The Police, The Animals, and the newer Newcastle bands don't have either.

Trains, right? We all love trains don't we? Well, not the British ticket prices but you cannit beat a good train; the world depends on them.

Wouldn't have happened without this boy from the banks of the Tyne.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/GeorgeStephenson.PNG/419px-GeorgeStephenson.PNG

He lives across the road from me.

If you're on about the pub,my mate used to live 20 yards from there.Canny little pub,20 years ago.

Guest firetotheworks

Only good thing to come from Sunderland is the Futureheads, FACT.

I've sat here for a good few minutes to try and think of another example...

Field Music!

I guess he means that the shops/businesses etc located on Grey St are not befitting of its immense architectural splendour. It doesnt have much to attract people; its always quite a quiet street with few people about.

Yeah, fair enough.  I can see that, but I think that's one of the things that it's got going for it.  It's not at all gimmicky or whatever.  It's not the street with all of the pubs on it, or all of the restaurants, or whatever.

Guest firetotheworks

I think Blakes and Bar Luga are enough on that street to have a nice balance between being able to appreciate it comfortably without it being spoiled with too many bars and restaurants.