Newcastle

Guest Tall Striker

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Anyone else do the GNR yesterday?

My first one and my god I'm paying for it now

Done it 3 times in the past, very hard work, but great fun, I went for a walk after mine (the following day I must add) just to loosen up and it did the trick.

Edited by HTT II

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Aye. Sold my place to me mate a few months back and he dropped out Wednesday so I done it with no training, having not ran for over a year. My first GNR too, so didn’t know what to expect!

Feet are in fucking bits today, so glad I’m off work! Congratulations as well!

Well done on all those that did it, hopefully I will be in a position to do another one next year, it’s a great event and very important to our city/region.

Edited by HTT II

58 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It was my third yesterday. I knocked 11 minutes off my PB and came in at 1:44. Well chuffed. I'm a bit sore but I've been in worse states so I'll take it. 

I thought the organisation was spot on and the start was such a more effective way to do it - a constant stream of starters rather than everyone on the motorway at once. The end of the route was absolutely brutal mind. :lol: It was just one continuous slow incline through town.

Hopefully they stick to their commitment to South Shields next year because I do enjoy finishing at the coast but I really hope they're able to utilise the Town Moor for the start from now on. 

My boy had a game at Cochrane Park 9.40am (they got hammered :lol:) and it was great to see the Red Arrows fly over, the ref actually stopped the game so everyone could applaud, the colours in the sky was amazing, after the shitty year and a half or so we’ve had due to Covid, it was great to see and on the way to the game we had to divert and me and my boy wound the window down and wished so many people good luck, it was actually quite emotional having done it a few times myself. Just felt good tbh seeing so many eager and happy people ready for it.

Just now, NEEJ said:

It was my third yesterday. I knocked 11 minutes off my PB and came in at 1:44. Well chuffed. I'm a bit sore but I've been in worse states so I'll take it. 

I thought the organisation was spot on and the start was such a more effective way to do it - a constant stream of starters rather than everyone on the motorway at once. The end of the route was absolutely brutal mind. :lol: It was just one continuous slow incline through town.

Hopefully they stick to their commitment to South Shields next year because I do enjoy finishing at the coast but I really hope they're able to utilise the Town Moor for the start from now on. 

Well done mate that’s a great time, wow, and aye I’d much prefer a Town Moor start, loads of people I know who done it said the treck back into town was very hard and would prefer just running to South Shields ha ha.

Just now, HTT II said:

Well done mate that’s a great time, wow, and aye I’d much prefer a Town Moor start, loads of people I know who done it said the treck back into town was very hard and would prefer just running to South Shields ha ha.

I knew it would be tough, even from a quick glance at the course profile it was obvious that it would be a grim end, but it was horrible. I've walked bits and pieces of that route through town plenty of times over the years and never appreciated how it all goes uphill. :lol:

Just now, NEEJ said:

I knew it would be tough, even from a quick glance at the course profile it was obvious that it would be a grim end, but it was horrible. I've walked bits and pieces of that route through town plenty of times over the years and never appreciated how it all goes uphill. :lol:

Aye I looked at that route and thought fuck, those poor people. At least the normal pre Covid route a lot was down hill/or flat ha ha. So glad it went ahead and everyone had a great time, the photos look immense and loads I know who took part said it was so well organised and brilliant from start to finish, it’s a Geordie tradition like the Blaydon Races and again it was emotional seeing so many people setting off for the event yesterday morning. 

Yeah last 3 miles or so were brutal, thought there was a lack of watering stations in the final few miles too.

Picked up a back injury just before so was happy enough getting just over 2 hours but my back is in agony now. Looking forward to doing it fully fit next year hopefully

19 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Yeah last 3 miles or so were brutal, thought there was a lack of watering stations in the final few miles too.

Picked up a back injury just before so was happy enough getting just over 2 hours but my back is in agony now. Looking forward to doing it fully fit next year hopefully

My mate was more bothered about lack of shower stations ha ha 

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Well done on all those that did it, hopefully I will be in a position to do another one next year, it’s a great event and very important to our city/region.

it’s a massively overpriced corporate income generator for big bad Brendan Foster, it’s not a good run to do, the constant coverage leading up to it for two weeks every year bores me half to death.

Far better half marathons in the area with nicer routes and scenery for half the cash.

2 hours ago, frankpingel said:

Stretching and plenty of water today is key to recovery.

I disagree, as someone who is experienced in endurance events, never stretch and make sure you drink 4-5 pints the night before and about 8-9 the night after. 

3 minutes ago, Ed210 said:

I disagree, as someone who is experienced in endurance events, never stretch and make sure you drink 4-5 pints the night before and about 8-9 the night after. 

Surely the key to recovery is proper warm down after the event.....

2 hours ago, Ed210 said:

it’s a massively overpriced corporate income generator for big bad Brendan Foster, it’s not a good run to do, the constant coverage leading up to it for two weeks every year bores me half to death.

Far better half marathons in the area with nicer routes and scenery for half the cash.

What a load of shite!

53 minutes ago, HTT II said:

What a load of shite!

You pay your money you make your choice. I think it’s far better spent elsewhere. 

The Northumberland coastal run is one example of a far nicer and far cheaper run, the Keswick half marathon another.