Chris Hughton

stozo

With Blackpool currently 2-0 up against Man Utd, it's worth pointing out that the "disgusting and disgraceful" home defeats we suffered under Hughton were against sides ("we've got to beat sides like that") that currently stand 7th, 8th and 10th.

With Blackpool currently 2-0 up against Man Utd, it's worth pointing out that the "disgusting and disgraceful" home defeats we suffered under Hughton were against sides ("we've got to beat sides like that") that currently stand 7th, 8th and 10th.

Too bad that Blackpool lost 2-3 then, spoke too soon mate  :lol:

The point is not where they are in the table, even now there is so much movement in the table positions. Wait a few more matches, these same teams could be in the bottom half fighting off relegation. 2 questions are relevant though

1) If our objective is to survive our first season back, should we be beating (or at least drawing)  the likes of Stoke, Blackpool and Blackburn at home - the answer is yes

2) Has our form improved against these sort of teams (outside top 4-6) since Pardew took over - answer is yes too

Under Hughton we had some great wins against the likes of Arsenal, and yes 3 points are 3 points against anyone, but if our objective is to secure safety and survive our first season back, then it's far more important not to be losing/dropping points against teams that are likely to be also fighting for the same position as us.

We owe Hughton for bringing us back to the Premiership so convincingly, but the losses against the teams mentioned above will always remain a blemish on his record and no amount of twisting or turning from you or any of his fan club members is gonna change that.

I'm out of here  :eek:

Too bad that Blackpool lost 2-3 then, spoke too soon mate  :lol:

The point is not where they are in the table, even now there is so much movement in the table positions. Wait a few more matches, these same teams could be in the bottom half fighting off relegation. 2 questions are relevant though

1) If our objective is to survive our first season back, should we be beating (or at least drawing)  the likes of Stoke, Blackpool and Blackburn at home - the answer is yes

2) Has our form improved against these sort of teams (outside top 4-6) since Pardew took over - answer is yes too

Under Hughton we had some great wins against the likes of Arsenal, and yes 3 points are 3 points against anyone, but if our objective is to secure safety and survive our first season back, then it's far more important not to be losing/dropping points against teams that are likely to be also fighting for the same position as us.

We owe Hughton for bringing us back to the Premiership so convincingly, but the losses against the teams mentioned above will always remain a blemish on his record and no amount of twisting or turning from you or any of his fan club members is gonna change that.

I'm out of here  :eek:

The bottom 3 in the premiership are Wolves, Wigan and West Ham.. we didn't lose to any of them. We may have dropped some points over the season, but we didn't look like we were going to be in as much trouble as some other teams down there currently are.

Ultimately we'll never know what would have happened if Hughton hadn't been sacked.. and fair play to Pardew for getting some of the results that he has. Fact remains that the 3 teams we didn't want to lose lose against failed to beat us however. Maybe finishing off teams like Stoke when we had the chance we've kept Hughton in a job. But I doubt it.

In terms of his firing, I think the two away losses at Bolton and WBA hurt Hughton a lot more. We were to an extent unlucky to lose the 3 home games but those defeats on the road were abject.

In terms of his firing, I think the two away losses at Bolton and WBA hurt Hughton a lot more. We were to an extent unlucky to lose the 3 home games but those defeats on the road were abject.

Definitely, they were terrible. I'd say injuries & suspensions played a big part in that, but that's not really an acceptable excuse in football.

What I find impressive though is that bar the odd exception (which will always happen, I remember people demanding that Keegan quit about 6 games in because we hadn't won yet) the vast majority of fans still had faith that he'd turn it around. Inevitably, Pardew will go on a bad losing run like that. I'm curious to know how much time he'll be given.. by both the fans and the management.

i'd cut Hughton some slack over games nearer the end of his reign - at that time with the constant speculation he was being actively undermined by the board, in his own words he says they were making the job "very difficult" for him to perform. not a stretch to think this would have a knock on effect on the pitch.

Guest guinness_fiend

I still really miss him  :weep:

get over it homo.

Steady on, Mr. Gray.  There'll be no tongue-in-cheek jesting here.  Don't you know that they used to burn homosexuals at the stake in some countries?  Shame on you.

The three of them would be level on points with the sides in 13th, 14th and 16th had we beaten them of course.