Alan Pardew

JH

One thing that does puzzle me about him, is that he seems to change his mind about players at the drop of a hat. There's usually a consistency there with managers but Pardew seems to take a fancy to players for a week or two then you never see them again. Abeid played against Blackburn ahead of both Gosling and Ryan Taylor, I thought he was superb, not so much as seen since, with Perch promoted into his role.

Ryan Taylor had also completely dropped out for a while before Santon came in - now he's one of the first names on the team sheet again and in a different position.

Obertan had gone completely out of the picture prior to the Blackburn game to the point where he wasn't even appearing off the bench, now he's back in the first team.

Vuckic was flavour of the month for a few games, started at Anfield, then vanished before being sent out on loan despite numerous absences in central midfield, where he'd previously appeared.

Maybe it's a good thing that he's not set in his ways or tries new things but it always seems to me a very curious approach for a manager to take.

He behaves a bit like a manager who hasn't had a pre-season with his players and is trying things during the season which suggests he doesn't really know his players.  I've noticed him reacting but can't figure out what he's trying to do.

Yeah I tend to agree.

One thing I always liked about Hughton, and I don't want to go on about him again, was that he nearly always picked what I thought was the right team and even when the result or performance ultimately didn't go our way, I could always appreciate what he'd tried to do. When we did get it wrong, or when something went right (Joey Barton on the right, for example), he always seemed to learn from that and take it forward.

Too often Pardew leaves me scratching my head - not always for the worse however, I was bewildered by the Man Utd team selection and we p*ssed it.

have you forgot about the playing smith for months, too much lovenkrands etc ? agree though pardew can be just as bewildering.

seems to me like a manager who's team is doing better than he thought so when anything goes against him he gets ultra defensive.

I'm not sure how that would work.

it hasn't work too bad judging by our home form.

The way some go on, Pardew is one lucky f***ing b******. Wonder if he plays the lottery?

Way some go on, I guess Pardew is the new king of Newcastle, undeserving of criticism at all time. Watch the fucking game and not only the results. I guess some only watch this club and have no idea how the game is supposed to be played. 

The game was lost within 15 minutes. Replacing Obertan with Ben Arfa wouldn't have made the slightest f***ing difference imo.

It would have given him much needed football time with the other players, something Obertan has had more than enough of.

Agreed but it's a bit of a moot point. We didn't lose because of the decision to start Obertan instead of Ben Arfa but we may as well have brought him on at HT to give him some time on the park.

I just think when you drop HBA to the bench, it's a tacit admission to the opposition that you're frightened of them and that sets the tone. I have no doubt we were in the dressing room talking about the threat of Bale - I want them in the dressing room talking about the threat of HBA and what they're going to have to do to combat his ability, maybe even have Bale dropping a bit deeper to double up, which helps us defensively if anything.

Any manager seeing Obertan on the team sheet has one less item on his team talk because they know he poses no threat whatsoever.

Guest Dontooner

Omg Ryan Taylor...

Please Ashely , hope you witness this game today and scout a better manager at the end of the season, it fairly obviously we lost this game so badly because of the sheer quality difference at the helm. Lol Ryan taylor just confirms "Hoof and Cross Pardew" for me.

We've not been out of the top seven all season. We were a Championship side two years ago. Kindly go and boil your head. :thup:

Move on , we have bought well and have better players than two years ago, and a couple of years before we drop into the Championship , we were in Europe. Football changes and teams improve or fall off. Stop using that as an excuse, how many freaking years must we be out of the Championship before we can claim we can improve and be hoping for better.

Unless you're Man City/Chelsea it takes a while to build a squad capable of consistently finishing in the top six. The fact we're even competing a mere year and half follwoing a promotion is a testament to how well Pardew is doing.

The season hasn't ended lets see where we finish before the victory laps, i am more focus on how we are performing on the pitch. As i said in another thread is it Ridiculously to congratulate or give credit to Pardew before the end of the season. For now the credit he deserves is keeping us from being relegated and nothing more.

Where do you think we'll finish?

The fact we're merely competing for the top six shows what a great job he's doing.

1/3 of the season still to go, base on the football we are playing we wont be in the top 6 imo. Sorry i rate some of the players but not how Pardew translates it on the pitch , what if we ended the season 10,9,8?? how can you give credit to someone before the competition ends?

Maybe if there are 5 to 3 matches to go and we have a good tally, i will be more comfortable in assuming where we would be but before all the celebrations, No one is due credit. Challenging/competing means nothing if the end results doesnt correlate to our final standing

Who's celebrating/assuming where we're going to finish like?

We've had a great season thus far, Pardew deserves credit for that, if we finish badly he'll deserve criticism.

What a strange way of looking at it. I save all my opinion and emotional response until the end of the season when I can put it into context. That's when I perform my 40-minute interpretive dance: 1 minute dedicated to expressing my thoughts and feelings on each game and the final two-minute finale which serves as my summary of my opinion on the season as a whole and Pardew's reign to date. Be there.

Lol its really up to you when to shower your happiness and bath in glory of whatever that floats your boat.

As i point out in the thread many times, personally i am disappointed by the performances on the pitch.  For the same victory of 3 points you might want to dance shout or scream, i grasp and think we could have done better or we were very lucky or even why we play worst than the team we just beat.

Think that is a individual thing, but i cant see how Pardew is due the overwhelming credit before we finish the season. Why not just pay him his incentives now since he is doing such a mid way good job? But the job isnt done, you lot talk like we have already finish top 6 or look like a top 6 team on pitch.

One thing that does puzzle me about him, is that he seems to change his mind about players at the drop of a hat. There's usually a consistency there with managers but Pardew seems to take a fancy to players for a week or two then you never see them again. Abeid played against Blackburn ahead of both Gosling and Ryan Taylor, I thought he was superb, not so much as seen since, with Perch promoted into his role.

Ryan Taylor had also completely dropped out for a while before Santon came in - now he's one of the first names on the team sheet again and in a different position.

Obertan had gone completely out of the picture prior to the Blackburn game to the point where he wasn't even appearing off the bench, now he's back in the first team.

Vuckic was flavour of the month for a few games, started at Anfield, then vanished before being sent out on loan despite numerous absences in central midfield, where he'd previously appeared.

Maybe it's a good thing that he's not set in his ways or tries new things but it always seems to me a very curious approach for a manager to take.

He behaves a bit like a manager who hasn't had a pre-season with his players and is trying things during the season which suggests he doesn't really know his players.  I've noticed him reacting but can't figure out what he's trying to do.

Yeah I tend to agree.

One thing I always liked about Hughton, and I don't want to go on about him again, was that he nearly always picked what I thought was the right team and even when the result or performance ultimately didn't go our way, I could always appreciate what he'd tried to do. When we did get it wrong, or when something went right (Joey Barton on the right, for example), he always seemed to learn from that and take it forward.

Too often Pardew leaves me scratching my head - not always for the worse however, I was bewildered by the Man Utd team selection and we p*ssed it.

have you forgot about the playing smith for months, too much lovenkrands etc ? agree though pardew can be just as bewildering.

too much Lovenkrands?  Loven was class in the Championship and he never played much under Hughton in the PL tbf.

The game was lost within 15 minutes. Replacing Obertan with Ben Arfa wouldn't have made the slightest f***ing difference imo.

It would have given him much needed football time with the other players, something Obertan has had more than enough of.

Agreed but it's a bit of a moot point. We didn't lose because of the decision to start Obertan instead of Ben Arfa but we may as well have brought him on at HT to give him some time on the park.

I just think when you drop HBA to the bench, it's a tacit admission to the opposition that you're frightened of them and that sets the tone. I have no doubt we were in the dressing room talking about the threat of Bale - I want them in the dressing room talking about the threat of HBA and what they're going to have to do to combat his ability, maybe even have Bale dropping a bit deeper to double up, which helps us defensively if anything.

Any manager seeing Obertan on the team sheet has one less item on his team talk because they know he poses no threat whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have Obertan anywhere near the first XI but starting HBA wouldn't have affected the result today at all. We got blown away early and that had nothing to do with the team Pardew picked. Any XI available to him would have been blown away because of the way Spurs started the game. 

Omg Ryan Taylor...

Please Ashely , hope you witness this game today and scout a better manager at the end of the season, it fairly obviously we lost this game so badly because of the sheer quality difference at the helm. Lol Ryan taylor just confirms "Hoof and Cross Pardew" for me.

We've not been out of the top seven all season. We were a Championship side two years ago. Kindly go and boil your head. :thup:

Move on , we have bought well and have better players than two years ago, and a couple of years before we drop into the Championship , we were in Europe. Football changes and teams improve or fall off. Stop using that as an excuse, how many freaking years must we be out of the Championship before we can claim we can improve and be hoping for better.

Unless you're Man City/Chelsea it takes a while to build a squad capable of consistently finishing in the top six. The fact we're even competing a mere year and half follwoing a promotion is a testament to how well Pardew is doing.

The season hasn't ended lets see where we finish before the victory laps, i am more focus on how we are performing on the pitch. As i said in another thread is it Ridiculously to congratulate or give credit to Pardew before the end of the season. For now the credit he deserves is keeping us from being relegated and nothing more.

The fact we're merely competing for the top six shows what a great job he's doing.

1/3 of the season still to go, base on the football we are playing we wont be in the top 6 imo. Sorry i rate some of the players but not how Pardew translates it on the pitch , what if we ended the season 10,9,8?? how can you give credit to someone before the competition ends?

Maybe if there are 5 to 3 matches to go and we have a good tally, i will be more comfortable in assuming where we would be but before all the celebrations, No one is due credit. Challenging/competing means nothing if the end results doesnt correlate to our final standing

We've had a great season thus far, Pardew deserves credit for that, if we finish badly he'll deserve criticism.

Sorry but there is a bigger picture than that.

We are not playing well, we have not played well for a majority of this season and even worse during 2012. Results are falling our way with luck and when they aren't we are getting trashed like 5-2 to Fulham, 5-0 to Spurs and also the loss to Brighton. I would put a lot of this down to missing key players if it wasn't for us having not played well for a very large part of the season, ever since the Man City game we have had problem getting back on that horse and we have not played particularly well apart from the Man U game.

I mean we have beaten Bolton, QPR, Man U, Blackburn and Villa since our first loss of the season against City. And all of them except Man U have been scrappy lucky wins where we werent really confidently deserving of three points.

You simply don't amass 42 points due to luck, before today we'd won five from seven. We're a hard working, well drilled side who has just won two of there last three games with a Championship midfield.

Now you take that into account, look what had happened have we not rode luck there and we wouldnt be anywhere near where we are.

So your argument is simply: We are where are due to luck and no other factor?

League is weaker than ever this season and we are taking advantage of it with individual brilliance and luck as well as other teams being real s***. By no imagination are we anywhere near the standard required to be playing European football. We have a great XI but our tactics have been poor and we look nowhere near as good as we did at the beginning of the season. Dont get blind by the results, look at our football and our tactics, they have been pisspoor for a while now.

Statictically the league is no weaker than it was last season, nor the year before. If we're sixth come the end of the season we'll deserve European football, simple as that. I agree we haven't been playing our best stuff of late but we have been grinding out results with five first team regulars missing.

Pardews idea seems to be all about ball retention, "if we have it they cannot score" hat and added to that work rate.

He tries to choose a like for like type player if one of his first choice is unavailable, the trouble is with a weak squad and weak fullbacks we are always going to struggle without our best 11, we lose the balance we have with everyone available.

I think he is a pretty sound manager tactics wise but without the right players to suit those tactics we really do struggle.

I think he would love to play Jonas wide right to help Simpson but knows our LB position is our weakest, Santon is great going forward but defensively his positional play is poor.

So he has started to use Ryan Taylor on the right wing to help cover Simpson and that had worked better for him, Raylor gets injured we are in the sht again. It has to be VERY hard to pick an 11 from who he has available today, we cannot be to hard on him.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have Obertan anywhere near the first XI but starting HBA wouldn't have affected the result today at all. We got blown away early and that had nothing to do with the team Pardew picked. Any XI available to him would have been blown away because of the way Spurs started the game. 

We were as bad as they were good.  So far this season when we've played well we've been straight into the opposition to give them no time on the ball.  We didn't do that at any stage today and that was down to us as much as it was down to Spurs.

Guest Dontooner

Omg Ryan Taylor...

We are not playing well, we have not played well for a majority of this season and even worse during 2012. Results are falling our way with luck and when they aren't we are getting trashed like 5-2 to Fulham, 5-0 to Spurs and also the loss to Brighton. I would put a lot of this down to missing key players if it wasn't for us having not played well for a very large part of the season, ever since the Man City game we have had problem getting back on that horse and we have not played particularly well apart from the Man U game.

I mean we have beaten Bolton, QPR, Man U, Blackburn and Villa since our first loss of the season against City. And all of them except Man U have been scrappy lucky wins where we werent really confidently deserving of three points.

You simply don't amass 42 points due to luck, before today we'd won five from seven. We're a hard working, well drilled side who has just won two of there last three games with a Championship midfield.

Now you take that into account, look what had happened have we not rode luck there and we wouldnt be anywhere near where we are.

League is weaker than ever this season and we are taking advantage of it with individual brilliance and luck as well as other teams being real s***. By no imagination are we anywhere near the standard required to be playing European football. We have a great XI but our tactics have been poor and we look nowhere near as good as we did at the beginning of the season. Dont get blind by the results, look at our football and our tactics, they have been pisspoor for a while now.

Statictically the league is no weaker than it was last season, nor the year before. If we're sixth come the end of the season we'll deserve European football, simple as that. I agree we haven't been playing our best stuff of late but we have been grinding out results with five first team regulars missing.

If you read the thread, i am not sure everybody agree we deserved it, btw it is more of the performances on the pitch that i am debating but i guess you care more about the points and table positions.

We were as bad as they were good.  So far this season when we've played well we've been straight into the opposition to give them no time on the ball.  We didn't do that at any stage today and that was down to us as much as it was down to Spurs.

Again, I'd go along with that, we were really poor and couldn't cope with their movement and pace. We missed Cabaye and Tiote but we definitely caught Spurs at the wrong time. It happens and we have to move on.

Omg Ryan Taylor...

A lot of my criticism for Pardew is that we havent been good enough since our first loss. Our 5 wins since then have been in my opinion  lucky/underserving (excl. Man U). 11games unbeaten run was great but since then we have been very poor in general and Pardew hasnt tried to adress that in the right manner or been successful. My criticism is because of that.

Results are not reflecting our performances fortunately enough.

totally disagree with this in two ways - i think spurs starting so well was in a large part down to us getting it totally wrong from the start. no HBA by himself wouldn't have changed the result but i think him out of the side is symptomatic of some of the ways we went wrong today. he is one of the few players upfield who can actively hold onto the ball, create space, beat a man with invention and create from nothing. we needed more patience, ability to keep the ball and defensive protection, why not try to flood the midfield and offer the centre-halves more protection and have HBA as an outlet rather than the pathetic obertan who runs into blind alleys.

and then i dont think the game was over at 10 mins or whatever - yeah we were two goals down and well off the pace but there's still 80 mins left to play. do something bold and make subs after a dozen minutes, give one or two players a kick up the arse and completely change the system. pardew's utter refusal to do anything at all to try and turn the situation around was perplexing. i've not been as frustrated in a managerial performance for a number of years - going back to allardyce probably, or souness at worst.

there is such a thing as tactics, preparation, motivation influencing things. were fulham fans at HT the other week thinking they've just met newcastle on the wrong day and that they were going to get rolled over? no, they spotted a weakness, totally changed their tactics by putting johnson on the shoulder and the quarter-back style midfielder baird in deep midfield and ruthlessly opened us up. that's happened at other times this season too, but i want to see our manager responding to events on the pitch far more. dereliction of duty from him today.

Guest Dontooner

Oh so you're the fan who'd rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0, I was starting to think it was just a media stereotype.

Edit: Aimed at Dontooner.

Dont think good football needs to be conceding goals all the time or out scoring the opposition

but try and gradually play good football and pick up results along the way. I want to see us consistently improving on the pitch amd has some system to break teams down in open play. We are quite limited when it comes down to attacking variation, the results we are getting now are too close to being draws or even loses. Its these things that are getting me uncomfortable. If  Pardew's (Hoof and Cross) tactics could always put us up a couple of goals and we never look like conceding...then fair enough. However its hasnt being the case.

Omg Ryan Taylor...

A lot of my criticism for Pardew is that we havent been good enough since our first loss. Our 5 wins since then have been in my opinion  lucky/underserving (excl. Man U). 11games unbeaten run was great but since then we have been very poor in general and Pardew hasnt tried to adress that in the right manner or been successful. My criticism is because of that.

So you think luck has been the only factor in winning five of our last eight?

We've not played brilliantly I agree but we're organised, we're hard working and we know how to close out a game, that's down to Pardew. He's done even better when you consider some of the absentees we've had of late and their respective replacements.

Guest neesy111

Omg Ryan Taylor...

We've not played brilliantly I agree but we're organised, we're hard working and we know how to close out a game, that's down to Pardew. He's done even better when you consider some of the absentees we've had of late and their respective replacements.

In all honesty the Man Utd & Bolton game 'sis the only game we truly deserved to win in the last 2 months.  If we had got only draw's from the Villa, QPR and Blackburn games then I couldn't had complained.

Guest Dontooner

Omg Ryan Taylor...

Thats why as i said, lets judge his performances at the end of the Season, some of those lucky results might balance themselves out. I will give him his due credit if he manages to keep us in the top 7 and return us to Europe at the end of the Season.

Good post Wullie.

Pardew did accept responsibility for the result as he said he had to pick the side based on the performance of the strikers last week. Ignoring the fact that he didn't pick the strikers who won the game last week to start, and it was by accident they played and won the game - you have to wonder why not treat each opponent on their merits? What use is all the pro-zone stat knowledge when it's not relevant to the opposition you are facing?

Pardew admitted in the pre-match interview he was worried about the height of the Spurs team yet it was on the floor we were ripped apart from one end of the pitch to the other. It was such a strange comment as anyone who has watched even a few Spurs games would know that height isn't the basis of their attacking threat.

Good post Wullie.

Pardew did accept responsibility for the result as he said he had to pick the side based on the performance of the strikers last week. Ignoring the fact that he didn't pick the strikers who won the game last week to start, and it was by accident they played and won the game - you have to wonder why not treat each opponent on their merits? What use is all the pro-zone stat knowledge when it's not relevant to the opposition you are facing?

Pardew admitted in the pre-match interview he was worried about the height of the Spurs team yet it was on the floor we were ripped apart from one end of the pitch to the other. It was such a strange comment as anyone who has watched even a few Spurs games would know that height isn't the basis of their attacking threat.

if he's not careful he's going to turn into fat sam saladface with all that pro zone bullsh1t

Guest Dontooner

Good post Wullie.

Generally i think Pardew likes and has the guts to try stuff, especially he seems to portrait an image of Mr Nice Guy and let's everybody into a bit of the action. The Flaw is he doesnt know what he is doing or what he wants.