Ranking our defenders

Guest hiiragi

Guest hiiragi

This may be pointless, but after seeing that Ramage thread, thought it would be interesting start something like this:

Given the myraid of defenders who have played for us in the past few years, arrange them in order from best to worst from the selective group below:

Ramage, Taylor, Boumsong, Bramble, Moore, Babayaro, Bernard, Carr, Elliot, Griffin, Hughes, O'Brien, Distin, Dabizas, Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Best of a very average group - Moore

Worst - Carr

Looking at that list (granted Woodgate aside) it is easy to see why we are always criticised for defensive misdemeanours

Best of a very average group - Moore

Worst - Carr

Looking at that list (granted Woodgate aside) it is easy to see why we are always criticised for defensive misdemeanours

If we had these we'd be alright.

Taylor

Barton

Distin

Hughes

Bernard (1st time round)

Ramage

Moore

Guest optimistic nit

I always liked warron barton, so i put him first. carr can go last. distin and woody are good, others are average, the others are poor, some are dreadful, about 1/5th.

I always liked warron barton, so i put him first. carr can go last. distin and woody are good, others are average, the others are poor, some are dreadful, about 1/5th.

Would bring back Barton in a heartbeat..

Was doing his coaching badges last time i heard.

Model Pro

Never gave up (even if the fans had in the 1st 2 seasons, he stayed, and finally made his mark)

Fitness fanatic (ran 10miles a day outside of training)

Nice guy and came across with some wisdom and intelligence.

A cheap coach we should sign on.

Guest Moe-Ali

1st

Taylor

Barton

Distin

Hughes

Bernard

Ramage

Moore

Dabizas

Boumsong

Griffin

Bramble

Elliott

O'Brien

Babayaro

Carr

Last

Where's Woodgate ?

Injured...

Guest kinaldo

I've always wondered what we could have achieved if Woodgate had had the same sort of fitness record as, say, John Terry...

I think we woulda won the Uefa Cup at the very least.

I've always wondered what we could have achieved if Woodgate had had the same sort of fitness record as, say, John Terry...

I think we woulda won the Uefa Cup at the very least.

Wed have been hammered by Valencia in all fairness, as Marseille were (and they were a better side than us, stronger, faster, better technical ability, and more organised).

Barton was hopeless.  A good pro and a tryer, but very limited.  We signed him for £4.5m when that was a lot of money especially for a defender.

Barton was hopeless.  A good pro and a tryer, but very limited.  We signed him for £4.5m when that was a lot of money especially for a defender.

Was it not a world record for a full back at the time? Or did I just make that up?  :dontknow:

Was it not a world record for a full back at the time? Or did I just make that up?  :dontknow:

Think so.

He was gash in his 1st couple of seasons but finally got the hang of it and won the fans over, bit like Darren Peacock.

if barton had signed for us and was playing for us now Carr would be gods gift. Ten times more likeable than Carr but a worse defender than Ramage, albeit better coming forward.

As for the order...

Bernard (until his last 6months), Moore, Taylor,Dabizas,Bramble, Boumsong,Distin (before he got good), Griffin,Babayaro,Ramage, Elliot,  Carr,  Hughes, O'Brien, Barton.

Although there isnt alot to choose between any of them really. Bramble would be top if he didnt have so many mares, probably not one that didnt look dodgy at the best of times though.

1. Oliver Bernard

2. Warren Barton

3. Steven Taylor

4. Aaron Hughes

5. Nicos Dabizas

6. Craig Moore

7. Sylvain Distin

8. Andy O'Brien

9. Peter Ramage

10. Andy Griffin

11. Robbie Elliott

12. Celestine Babayaro

13. Jean-Alain Boumsong

14. Stephen Carr

15. Titus Bramble

All pretty poor, tbh. Distin's proably the best there, but he wasn't all that for us. Always liked Bernard but it appears he's shit nowadays. Hughes, Dabizas, Barton are three of my favourite Toon defenders even though they were never up to much.

Guest hiiragi

Where's Woodgate ?

ay, the group I have drawn out are those that have received sticks (for their ability) at one point or another.  Guess I want to see how we rate the best from the worst of the lot.  Not surpisingly the lot contains almost ALL of our recent defenders mind