Spank The Monkey (Not what you think)

The Bonk

Work by street-art luminaries such as Chiho Aoshima, Banksy, Dzine, Dr. Lakra, Barry McGee and Ryan McGinness is to be shown at a major UK exhibition kicking off in the North East this month.  The exhibition will run until January 7, 2007 at the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Arts in Newcastle and Gateshead. 

Info: www.balticmill.com

Has anyone been?  I'd love to go, but I'm stuck on the other side of the ocean.  Anyone have pic's of the giant skate ramp??

Anyhoo, I'd be interested to know how the show turned out. 

Cheers.

well, I haven't been and for good reason - the Baltic should be burned to the ground. They've raped that building, it was more useful derelict. But I guess thats not what you wanted to hear.

Raped it in what way?  That's unfortunate, though, so you'd attend if it were at a different venue?

Didnt know about this, just been home for 5 days too, could have checked it out. Oh well, am nack on 22nd dec for a couple of weeks. Might tie it in with a dinner in the restaurant upstairs.

Mate, I was wating for a response from you.  What with your Banksy toting avatars.  :lol:

What's mcai3db3 on about? 

Didnt know about this, just been home for 5 days too, could have checked it out. Oh well, am nack on 22nd dec for a couple of weeks. Might tie it in with a dinner in the restaurant upstairs.

Mate, I was wating for a response from you.  What with your Banksy toting avatars.  :lol:

Willey Mcaidb3 is being sarcastic surely?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though, i think Banksy is an excellent artist. I have a place in London too and he has just (few months ago) done a big piece on the main road joining Camden and Chalk farm. Its on his site.

Everywhere you go, you see these little pieces that just go unnoticed.

My avatar is called 'holocaust' but in my mind its SJP in 30 years if things dont improve  :lol:

Willey Mcaidb3 is being sarcastic surely?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though, i think Banksy is an excellent artist. I have a place in London too and he has just (few months ago) done a big piece on the main road joining Camden and Chalk farm. Its on his site.

Everywhere you go, you see these little pieces that just go unnoticed.

My avatar is called 'holocaust' but in my mind its SJP in 30 years if things dont improve  :lol:

Nice, yeah, I love Banksy as well.  I have a couple of his books and others featuring his works.  Some of his artistic coup's are nothing short of amazing.  Would love to meet him and hear his thoughts first hand.  I admire his intergrity most of all, nike and all sorts have approached him about doing work and he's flat out refused.  Glad to see art triupmh over the mighty dollar. 

Hahaha...  SJP could be well on it's way, mate. 

No, thats the one. He got into bother about it and i have to admit, i thought it a bit over the top to have a live elephant, painted  in an art show.

If it was anyone else i would have dismissed it as thoughtless. Except thats one thing he isnt.

When I saw that exhibition reported on the news, along with the Elephant, of course, they said it was supposed to be the Elephant in the room that is the Iraq venture, which is apparently not talked about, despite being massive a subject. If that's the case, and I'd be happy to believe they were wrong, then I've seen more insightful smegma.

When I saw that exhibition reported on the news, along with the Elephant, of course, they said it was supposed to be the Elephant in the room that is the Iraq venture, which is apparently not talked about, despite being massive a subject. If that's the case, and I'd be happy to believe they were wrong, then I've seen more insightful smegma.

Like what? (No googling either)

I think its a piss take but there ye gan.

Also, are you a massive Red Dwarf fan?  bluebigrazz.gif

Like what? (No googling either)

I think its a piss take but there ye gan.

Also, are you a massive Red Dwarf fan?  bluebigrazz.gif

Did watch it a few time, aye... :D

Like I say, I'd say there was a very good chance the reporter was talking rubbish and/or having the piss taken out of her.

i read something alone those lines elsewhere, though there was no explicit mention of Iraq. it just said that the elephant represents anything uncomfortable in life that we try to hide or ignore, but that it ends up obsctructing us anyway as we try so hard to avoid it.

i read something alone those lines elsewhere, though there was no explicit mention of Iraq. it just said that the elephant represents anything uncomfortable in life that we try to hide or ignore, but that it ends up obsctructing us anyway as we try so hard to avoid it.

Ah, thank you. Thing is, they probably did this scene on Catchphrase, so there's either more to it in some way (not that I take a particular interest), or it's a pretty poor effort.

I'm confused, now.

You and I both.  I'm still puzzled as to it's relevance, when it's overshadowing some of the

other works, which I consider to be stronger subjects. 

Well there we go then, that's probably the point. He does all that work and a pink elephant gets all the attention, instead.

I'm confused, now.

You and I both.  I'm still puzzled as to it's relevance, when it's overshadowing some of the

other works, which I consider to be stronger subjects. 

Well there we go then, that's probably the point. He does all that work and a pink elephant gets all the attention, instead.

Suppose he wins either way, huh?  Wonder how much the elephant went for.....