UEFA to Change Referee Situation?

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

From the BBC:

Uefa looks to rugby for ref rule

Football Focus

Uefa wants football captains to help the referees police the game

Uefa is considering copying rugby's lead by allowing only captains to talk to referees during games.

In a Football Focus special report to be aired on BBC One on Saturday, Uefa's William Gaillard admits the current situation is becoming "dangerous".

He believes captains should take more liability for the game's direction.

"It's common in rugby to call both captains and say 'cut it out, the game is not taking the right course and it is up to you'," said Gaillard.

The Uefa spokesman also admitted that European football's governing body was concerned at the breakdown in relations between officials and players and managers, particularly when the disputes result in violence at amateur level.

"What is really worrying is what is happening in the lower leagues," he said.

Retaining and recruiting referees is already difficult and without referees the game will descend into anarchy

Former referee David Elleray

"There is somebody injured almost every weekend somewhere in Europe.

"That means the national associations can't find referees at the grass-roots level.

"If you don't find referees there, very soon you won't find referees for the lower divisions of the professional game and ultimately the elite (divisions)."

Gaillard disagreed, however, that the quality of refereeing had deteriorated.

He said it was the same as it had been for "a century and a half" and that errors were still rare.

Former international referee David Elleray agrees with Gaillard and points to the increased scrutiny that officials are under - thanks to television - as the cause of the heightened awareness of refereeing mistakes.

And Elleray, who retired from refereeing in 2003, said players, managers, fans and the media have to accept that referees will make mistakes from time to time.

He does not, however, think officials should be exempt from criticism if they make an error, as long as the criticism is measured and in context.

David Elleray and Roy Keane

Elleray had a "firm but fair" reputation as a referee

"I think it would be sad if we said that you can never comment on a decision or say a referee made a mistake," said Elleray.

"We comment on players making mistakes - for example, Saha missing the penalty (against Celtic on Tuesday).

"It was a crucial error but he didn't deliberately miss it, and it doesn't mean he is an incompetent player.

"But if the referee had made a similar error in that game there would be questions about his integrity, judgement and competence.

"It's what is behind the criticism, and the nature of the criticism, that is damaging for referees and football, not the criticism itself."

Elleray said that like Uefa he was concerned the current spate of high-profile rows following contentious refereeing decisions would hurt football.

"Retaining and recruiting referees at the grass-roots level is already difficult," he said.

"And without referees the game will descend into anarchy and chaos."

I have got to say that I agree with this idea of rugby style referees in principle. The referee makes his decision and that is final, no arguments, you get on with it. It should bring new meaning to the words play to the whistle which is one of my pet hates in football when someone stops to complain and fails to do their job on the pitch.

For once I say good on UEFA, get the changes made. :thup:

Guest chris1210

Bout bloody time as well.. its good that they want to change it, but the problem is so bad now because of their lack of action in the first place.

Is it not already within a ref's power to call the two captains over and 'have a word'? And I'm sure there's already rules on dissent and ungentlemanly conduct that refs could use to properly punish (and deter) players who abuse them.

All UEFA/The FA need to do is make it clear to refs that they won't face any comebacks if they enforce their authority fully. Problem is, they probably will - the pressure of the fans, managers and media must be immense at times.

IMO we should just accept that referees make mistakes like everyone else and get on with the game, no need for video replays or any of that stuff.

Guest Village Idiot

Or just use the whole rugby rules and penalize the dissenting side with 10 yards. Then laugh at how a foul by Rooney to the opposition's keeper is turned into a penalty against ManU :lol:

Or just use the whole rugby rules and penalize the dissenting side with 10 yards. Then laugh at how a foul by Rooney to the opposition's keeper is turned into a penalty against ManU :lol:

that was done a few seasons ago and then scrapped

Guest Village Idiot

I really don't remember it. Was it many time ago?

wasnt long ago at all. I remember beckham complainging cos he had a free kick which was perfect distance for him then the other team were arguing with the ref so he moved the ball forward 10 yards and beckham went off it cos he wanted to take it further back. Still scored like

Guest Village Idiot

wasnt long ago at all. I remember beckham complainging cos he had a free kick which was perfect distance for him then the other team were arguing with the ref so he moved the ball forward 10 yards and beckham went off it cos he wanted to take it further back. Still scored like

That would be funny, the other team arguing in purpose to fuck up a freekick position.

Still, it's strange that I don't remember it. Was it an EPL thing only? I have been following your league consistently for 4-5 years only.

It failed because the refs didn't have the balls to enforce it.

The rugby version of this rule was slightly different, in that you don't have to move it forward the whole ten metres, you can take it anywhere behind the mark, so long as it's in line with it.

The rugby version of this rule was slightly different, in that you don't have to move it forward the whole ten yards, you can take it anywhere behind the mark, so long as it's in line with it.

Corrected, Contimentalist.

Its been a sort of unwritten rule for years that the Captain can aproach the ref on behalf of a team mate, but not all refs sunscribed to it.

Its great they are going to make it official and try to stop refs being surrounded by players but how much notice will they really take of a Capatain sticking up for a team mate?

The rugby version of this rule was slightly different, in that you don't have to move it forward the whole ten yards, you can take it anywhere behind the mark, so long as it's in line with it.

Corrected, Continentalist.

Corrected, you bloody reactionary. :lol:

They've been using metres for ages, by the way.  bluebigrazz.gif

The M was entirely intended :D

The M was entirely intended :D

I know.  bluecry.gif

This would be a good idea, the 10 yard rule needs to be introduced with the attacking team having the option of move forward, for example Beckham may be 25 yards out orginally then moved 10 yards forward which would be a punishment for him, he should have the option stay where you are or move forward 10. No back chat should be tolerated, action is taken in rugby if decisions are disputed. The next time Man Utd or Chelsea gather around the ref in an agressive manor and he starts issuing yellow and red cards those players would then think twice.

I have seen Graham Poll being sworn at something terrible by Wayne Rooney on a number of occasions during the same match and he has done nothing about it. Referees must be shown more respect. The players reactions are making things much worse, There have been some contoversial decisions in rugby but they are not blown out of proportion because players and coaches have just got on with the game.