The Metro

BlueStar

You need to get a grip, not on this planet would that planned expansion cost "hundreds of billions", for crying out loud.

I've never heard such an absolutely preposterous estimation, I originally gave you benefit of the doubt and assumed it was grossly exaggerated, but no, you are carrying on with this ridiculous notion.

You have cited the Edinburgh build as an example, it's nearing on £1bn for 23 stops you say, let's apply the comparison literally (silly I know), I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (again), and assume you only meant £200bn, that would mean 4600 stops, I've only had a quick look at the plan, admittedly, but I don't see 4600 stops, do you?

It genuinely worries me that you believe it would cost "hundreds of billions" to implement this, it really does, I find it shocking and a little bit disturbing.

When you walk into a shop, I bet the people working there have seen you coming from a mile off.

:facepalm:

:lol: Gupter got serious.

:lol: I'm never serious, I think I was beating round the bush a little before and he got distracted.

I think we need to find a middle ground here. Maybe it would cost tens of billions? :lol:

£2-3bn. There, sorted. :) Now doctor Evil can go plan the latest Heathrow expansion....£400 Trillion Billion.

Gotta get past the moaning cunts who live in the borough of Hillingdon first.

I think we need to find a middle ground here. Maybe it would cost tens of billions? :lol:

£2-3bn. There, sorted. :) Now doctor Evil can go plan the latest Heathrow expansion....£400 Trillion Billion.

£1bn each in compensation...see...easy this shit man.  :lol:

£1bn each in compensation...see...easy this shit man.  :lol:

Nah, there'd still be some grumpy fuck who refuses to move out of their 1 bedroom bungalow next door to a fucking European-hub airport.

after tacking the piss* you decided to actually read the content of the discussion — top class that — you’re quick to take the piss I’ll give you that!

that plan is vast and includes NINE bridges/tunnels over the Tyne and the Wear, including across the widest part of the Tyne — can’t think why anyone’s not tried that before!

That Edingburgh tram line is only 10 miles long too.

you’d cost that all that at a billion!!!!!!!!! “such an absolutely preposterous estimation” indeed.

penny dropping yet?

after tacking the p*ss* you decided to actually read the content of the discussion — top class that — you’re quick to take the p*ss I’ll give you that!

that plan is vast and includes NINE bridges/tunnels over the Tyne and the Wear, including across the widest part of the Tyne — can’t think why anyone’s not tried that before!

you’d cost that all that at a billion!!!!!!!!! “such an absolutely preposterous estimation” indeed.

penny dropping yet?

I'm quick to take the piss because you're an incredibly easy target.

I gave my estimate at a billion after a quick skim over the plans, I gave you a guarantee that it would be closer to my estimate than yours, care to dispute that?

To make it simpler for you, as you clearly struggle, do you genuinely think these plans will cost more than £100bn? I'm giving you another chance to revise your initial, retarded estimation.

Ill take a educated guess and say that this expansion if it went ahead, which it never will...certainly not in that capacity anyways would cost upwards of £3 Billion.

Here's my reasoning, to renew a set of Auto Half Barriers, thats renew not a new install is over £500k, to install a single set of points, again replacement not new install will set you back £10k, a single sleeper installed generally costs around £90 - £120, a single signal will cost around £1k installed.  Thats the cheap side of things, buying the land, planning, approval, new stations, new bridges, new infrastructure to surround the metro, these are the expensive items.

after tacking the p*ss* you decided to actually read the content of the discussion — top class that — you’re quick to take the p*ss I’ll give you that!

penny dropping yet?

I'm quick to take the p*ss because you're an incredibly easy target.

I gave my estimate at a billion after a quick skim over the plans, I gave you a guarantee that it would be closer to my estimate than yours, care to dispute that?

To make it simpler for you, as you clearly struggle, do you genuinely think these plans will cost more than £100bn? I'm giving you another chance to revise your initial, retarded estimation.

you still don’t get it, you take the piss out of someone without even reading the thread, and you refer to me as “retarded”.

and you “give me a chance” to redeem myself — what a tool — “care to dispute”?

and yes I think it would cost at least £100bn — clearly it was a ball park statement in the first place — “as you struggle” I’ll emphasise the point I was making is that the plan is ridiculous and would never be implemented because of the excessive costs.

then you came in — take the piss without being able to read — and it’s: I’d build that vast Metro network and all those bridges for £1bn — and you still want to be self-righteous?

Stick to smileys eh?

penny dropping yet?

I'm quick to take the p*ss because you're an incredibly easy target.

you still don’t get it, you take the p*ss out of someone without even reading the thread, and you refer to me as “retarded”.

and you “give me a chance” to redeem myself — what a tool — “care to dispute”?

and yes I think it would cost at least £100bn — clearly it was a ball park statement in the first place — “as you struggle” I’ll emphasise the point I was making is that the plan is ridiculous and would never be implemented because of the excessive costs.

then you came in — take the p*ss without being able to read — and it’s: I’d build that vast Metro network and all those bridges for £1bn — and you still want to be self-righteous?

Stick to smileys eh?

You're the one putting words into my mouth (figuratively speaking), I never said anything of the sort. :facepalm:

I'm far from the only one having a laugh at your expense in this thread, friend.

Guest WashyGeordie

They can't even maintain and look after the ones they've got already, this is a terrible idea.

It's like a single mam of 4 living off benefits getting pregnant with twins and happy about it due to get some more money out of us all.

Biggest complaint would be the lack of a facility to pay without coins. Pretty ridiculous that they haven't got card facilities and then have inspectors galore.

Current developments

[edit] 'Metro: All Change programme' Phase 1

Phase 1 will see new ticket machines and barriers installed at major stations such as Monument (pictured).

In 2011 new ticket machines accepting notes and cards at all stations, and barriers at 13 main stations are being installed. These stations are Monument, Haymarket, St James, Manors, Jesmond, West Jesmond, Gateshead, Heworth, Central, South Gosforth, North Shields, South Shields and Airport. The modernisation of Haymarket station, funded through private development, was completed on 29 March 2010.[18] and a new station at Simonside opened in March 2008. An upgrade of platforms at Sunderland and the modernisation of several other stations is included in this phase. The cost of this scheme is £55.2m and is expected to be completed in 2010. Also included in this phase is the strengthening and overhaul of the footbridge at Jarrow Station.

Nexus is investing £1 million as part of the all change programme to replace six lifts on the system with new, quieter, more efficient ones. These are at Monument, Central, Gateshead, South Shields and Chichester, with works starting in July 2009 and lasting until 2010. The programme also includes overhauling infrastructure including communications, track and overhead power lines, structures and embankments.

O0

Don't forget the Scumberland expansion was on existing tracks.

Most of the routes on that map are either non-existing or public footpaths.

And according to Wiki aswell, it's only going to be the Washington and Seaham line's where they're going to be using exsisting tracks (if it goes through of course)

Washington,[20] either via the disused Leamside line or a new route. Present planning may lead to the Leamside line being opened at least as far as Washington as a conventional rail line for passengers as well as freight, although this could be shared with Metro trains in the same way as the line from Pelaw Junction to Sunderland. In 2009 ATOC suggested reopening the Leamside line as far south as Washington.[21] On 12 July 2010 local MP Sharon Hodgson started an online Petition on the website of local radio station Sun FM to get Metro extended to Washington.[22]

Blyth & Ashington, running on existing little-used freight lines. Northumberland Park station has been built to provide a link to a potential new rail service to these communities; if opened, it will not be a part of the Metro system.

Extension north to Killingworth and Cramlington has been planned since Metro was on the drawing board but would require widening of the busy East Coast Main Line to four tracks, which would be expensive, or a new alignment involving street running.

The West End of Newcastle would require new track involving tunnelling and bridging in rough terrain; this would be very costly and is perhaps least likely to receive funding, though would probably have the highest potential ridership.

Ryhope, in southern Sunderland, has been mooted as an extension using existing railway lines. This route is under criticism due to the reduction in Northern Rail services that would be likely to have to follow.

Seaham, a proposal drawn up by Tyne and Wear Passenger Authority to use the existing Durham coast line south of Sunderland.

Surely the expansion to the darkside didn't cost hundreds of billions? And that's still pretty recently built.

I'd say at a guess that the map won't get done soon, there's just too many to build for one expansion, but even if it's done one by one is progress and say, they built a few more in the next 5 years for what need's one, ie. Metro Centre, West End and maybe the Shields connection etc etc.

that expansion map is ridiculous, it’d cost hundreds of billions.

They’ll build half a dozen new stations tops in the next 20 years.

Hundreds of billions. :lol:

Gazillion? :laugh:

hundreds of billions is a correct term, gazillion is fictitious.

the tram build cost in Edinburgh is getting close to one billion £’s for 23 stops.

you dickheads care to take an estimated cost?

I've not even seen the plans, but I know that there is no way it'll be hundreds of billions. :lol:

Also, don't get so touchy over it, hundreds of billions ffs. :lol:

there’s a map on the bottom of page 2 marked as a spoiler, the plans are vast.

come back to me with your ball park figure.

You're still sticking with the "hundreds of billions" prediction? :lol: Unbelievable.

I've had a quick look, and I'll say a billion, because I have absolutely no idea, yet I can still give you a cast-iron, Gupter Guarantee that I will be an awful lot more accurate than you. :lol:

I’ve quoted you to make it easier for you.

The plan is ridiculously vast. You took the piss on my ball bark figure without even looking at the map that others had also commented on — classy.

I work for a company who do the majority of tram projects in Britain, and can tell you that it won't cost £100bn

fare enough, don’t suppose you build bridges, road infrastructure, et al, too?

Surely the expansion to the darkside didn't cost hundreds of billions? And that's still pretty recently built.

I'd say at a guess that the map won't get done soon, there's just too many to build for one expansion, but even if it's done one by one is progress and say, they built a few more in the next 5 years for what need's one, ie. Metro Centre, West End and maybe the Shields connection etc etc.

that expansion map is ridiculous, it’d cost hundreds of billions.

They’ll build half a dozen new stations tops in the next 20 years.

Hundreds of billions. :lol:

Gazillion? :laugh:

hundreds of billions is a correct term, gazillion is fictitious.

the tram build cost in Edinburgh is getting close to one billion £’s for 23 stops.

you dickheads care to take an estimated cost?

I've not even seen the plans, but I know that there is no way it'll be hundreds of billions. :lol:

Also, don't get so touchy over it, hundreds of billions ffs. :lol:

there’s a map on the bottom of page 2 marked as a spoiler, the plans are vast.

come back to me with your ball park figure.

You're still sticking with the "hundreds of billions" prediction? :lol: Unbelievable.

I've had a quick look, and I'll say a billion, because I have absolutely no idea, yet I can still give you a cast-iron, Gupter Guarantee that I will be an awful lot more accurate than you. :lol:

I’ve quoted you to make it easier for you.

The plan is ridiculously vast. You took the p*ss on my ball bark figure without even looking at the map that others had also commented on — classy.

As before, a vile misquote from you.

"I'll say a billion, because I have absolutely no idea", doesn't really translate as "I’d build that vast Metro network and all those bridges for £1bn" now, does it? Thinking again though, to a clear simpleton like yourself, it could do. :undecided:

I will repeat, once again. My initial estimation of £1bn, is guaranteed to be a hell of a lot closer than your initial estimation of "hundreds of billions". I never even needed to look at the plans, because that is such a phenomenally ridiculous estimation I think you should actually be sectioned.

As I said, there doesn't seem to be anyone backing you up here, but plenty are taking the piss, that should probably tell you something, I know it would if I was retarded also.