Nicky Butt

Baggio

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere...

extracted from the Guardians Newcastle match report:-

"However, they were unable to make their superiority count and Sibierski pulled Newcastle level in the 37th minute, nodding in James Milner's far-post cross with a downward header.

It was the Frenchman's fourth Newcastle goal since leaving Manchester City on a free transfer and it arrived in front of Stuart Pearce, his former manager who was reportedly keeping a close eye on the characteristically solid Nicky Butt."

What do people think of this?

3 months ago I would have been happy to see the back of him but he's performed well when we've needed him this season.

"However, they were unable to make their superiority count and Sibierski pulled Newcastle level in the 37th minute, nodding in James Milner's far-post cross with a downward header.

It was the Frenchman's fourth Newcastle goal since leaving Manchester City on a free transfer and it arrived in front of Stuart Pearce, his former manager who was reportedly keeping a close eye on the characteristically solid Nicky Butt."

3 months ago I would have been happy to see the back of him but he's performed well when we've needed him this season.

If we let him go it will be like letting Bowyer go. We don't have an adequate replacement for his specific role.

I thought he was after a winger, Milner or Zog.

Guest Bramble OG

Wouldnt sell him, hes been one of our better players this season, Cant imagine were going to get much for him so might as well hang on to him until the end of the season.

Wouldnt sell him, hes been one of our better players this season, Cant imagine were going to get much for him so might as well hang on to him until the end of the season.

It must be really difficult for any player to leave the Man U set-up especially after they've been there all their career. I think Nicky Butt the footballer is starting to find himself again, and it won't be long before he gets back to his old self, given the opportunity and games to do so.

Selling Butt right now (Jan or summer) would be daft imo.

Butt is not great, he is solid, solid enough squad player but he is not as good as Parker, not that Parker is a great player.

People moan about Parker slowing down our attack or not going forward. What has Butt done that is better than Parker? He did a solid job defending but he did not go forward at all.

And it was Parker's surging run forward that resulted in a corner which was then converted by Taylor. I'll have Parker ahead of Butt anyday by this year's form.

Parker should go forward more, should attack more, undeniably. But fact is apart from the Villareal pre season friendly, Butt has contributed little to the offensive play. Butt did a great job in Palermo, did a decent job last night. But Parker could have done the same if he were playing.

Yeah, he's doing a grand job.

Who? Pearce?

:roll:

My apologies, I didn't realise I had to specify I was talking about the guy the thread is named after.

A slightly interesting response.

Since you mention the start of the thread how exactly is your reply a coherent response to the question asked in that first post? You do understand the question that was asked by Baggio, don't you?

You don't have to do fúck all, by the way. Frankly I'd rather you did nowt and didn't bother posting if all you can manage is sarcasm.

Let him go IF we have have a replacement lined up. He's certainly not good enough to be a regular starter. People say him and Emre give us a better balance, but thats no reason to keep Butt come January. We should be looking for a better midfielder to go into that team. He's not good enough really. He can do a job for now, but if we get offered money for him, plus get his reported £40,000 of the wage bill, then i think we would be better of getting a midfielder in who actually has something about him. He couldn't lace Parker's boots either tbh. Its funny how Parker seems to take all of the blame for the lack of balance in midfield, but Emre gets none of it. Butt and Emre may be better balanced, but come January we would be a lot better finding an ideal partner for Parker than keeping Butt in there alongside Emre.

How do these reporters work out who he was there to see? 22+ players out there and he was there to watch the worst player on show who plays in one the positions we're strongest? Can't see it. We already have Barton, Dabo, Ireland and at a push Richards. Hamann is shot IMO so he could have given up on him and be looking for a replacement for him. Unlikely so soon after signing but there is a chance e could be looking for a replacement for Reyna who I believe is off home soon. But there are other areas of the squad that are much, much weaker - If he was there looking at a Newcastle player to bring in I would guess it was Milner - We're shocking out wide - Sinclair is finished, Beasley makes Dyer look like Lazurus and Trabelsi will need to move back if Distin goes. You were willing(ish) to sell a few months back so could be again if funds needed in January? It would make a lot more sense to me.

i never thought i would say this but i think we should keep him.

we will get a very low fee if we were to sell and it will probably cost us more to replace him like for like.

having said that, i cant see pearce being interested anyway

Well Urban Myth maybe but my mate swears blind he's a life long city fan and has a man city tattoo on one of his arms, and he always wore long sleeve shirts for United to hide it.

That aside Butt is good cover, seems to be a good proffesional and unless we buy a decent replacement whats the point.

We have so many players we already need to bring in before we can ship anyone out.