Charity

Delima

When's the last time you did something charitable?

Today I walked past the Palestinian Children tent opposite the Newcastle Uni student union. Food was served, free of charge, in the tent, but of course unless your skin is thicker than Shepherd's arse, any sensible person would have put some money in the money box. When I was filling my stomach a random person in the tent (din't seem like someone form the organising party) approached me and asked if the food is nice. The food was just ok, I would imagine it would be much better if it was served warm. I replied, "The food is cold. But I am here not for the food but to donate money." After saying this I blushed (luckily the tent was dark inside, not that it was bright outside!), am I here really to donate money or for the food? If no food was available would I enter the tent at all? Politically I sympathise with Palestinians, and am against Israel's massacre of Arabs and occupation of their land. But I am quite sceptical of charity on behalf of Palestinians, I don't want my money to end up in Hamas' or Hizbullah's hands.

I see myself as a benevolent person with a kind heart, and ideally would love to donate to charitable cause every now and then. I do give up a few pounds here and there whenever anyone approaches me, but the last time I donated a significant sum of money (to me) was for the South East Asean Tsunami. I have always wanted to donate constantly, but as said above I am actually sceptical of many charity organisations (any charity organisation with a religious background is a definite no go for me), and I don't always agree with the aims of certain charities. Alas, I am not a rich person.

Do you donate to charity regularly? To which organisation do you normally donate to? How do you motivate yourself? How do you select and filter those charity organisations?

Do you feel guilty not to contribute to humanitarian cause?

Guest Invicta_Toon

you donate to the things you have personal experience of, which is why i'm also sceptical of Palestinian refugee charitees

When's the last time you did something charitable?

Today I walked past the Palestinian Children tent opposite the Newcastle Uni student union. Food was served, free of charge, in the tent, but of course unless your skin is thicker than Shepherd's arse, any sensible person would have put some money in the money box. When I was filling my stomach a random person in the tent (din't seem like someone form the organising party) approached me and asked if the food is nice. The food was just ok, I would imagine it would be much better if it was served warm. I replied, "The food is cold. But I am here not for the food but to donate money." After saying this I blushed (luckily the tent was dark inside, not that it was bright outside!), am I here really to donate money or for the food? If no food was available would I enter the tent at all? Politically I sympathise with Palestinians, and am against Israel's massacre of Arabs and occupation of their land. But I am quite sceptical of charity on behalf of Palestinians, I don't want my money to end up in Hamas' or Hizbullah's hands.

I see myself as a benevolent person with a kind heart, and ideally would love to donate to charitable cause every now and then. I do give up a few pounds here and there whenever anyone approaches me, but the last time I donated a significant sum of money (to me) was for the South East Asean Tsunami. I have always wanted to donate constantly, but as said above I am actually sceptical of many charity organisations (any charity organisation with a religious background is a definite no go for me), and I don't always agree with the aims of certain charities. Alas, I am not a rich person.

Do you donate to charity regularly? To which organisation do you normally donate to? How do you motivate yourself? How do you select and filter those charity organisations?

Do you feel guilty not to contribute to humanitarian cause?

None that stuuudents are involved with tbh. Agree with Vic.

now for the proper answer...

its all well and good giving to charity if one can afford it, but by no means should anyone ever be harassed into giving. If they're offered free food/stuff then you're under no obligation to donate. I'll give sporadically throughout the year, but normally to no-one other than Cancer Research or the Cat & Dog Shelter... oh, and when randoms put bags through the door for me to put last seasons prada handbag into.

Guest Pugwash

I give to charities through GAYE, so that both the Charity and myself benefit from the tax benefit. If I get a pay rise I try to donate some of that rise to a new charity; the charities include Childline, BLISS, Save the Children Fund, Help The Aged, Concern.

I try to avoid giving to collections on the street, and also inform the charities not to send me any info through the post so as to save costs.

I do it because there's people worse off than me, and because I am not a volunteer sort of person, so donating is the best way for me to help. I find I don't miss the money because I give it out of a pay rise.

This thread has made me think of how much I give throughout the year now, so I'm going to cancel the lot on Monday and enjoy the money myself.

Thanks, Delima.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I donate mostly to CTR (Crush The Rebels), sometimes to KATP (Kill All The Peasants)

Once a month I boost up that poor Mr Mugabe's pension fund too

I sometimes donate to charity, never any big amount though, as i never have any money myself.

I never give anything to street-bums though. IMO its all their own fault that they've ended up there. I reckon that in Sweden, 99% of the people have a decent chance to make SOMETHING out of their lives and I don't see why I should give any money to the ones that have f*cked their chance.

My main charity that I donate to is Everyman (Testicular Cancer) I both donate regularly and do fundraising things for them, locally I donate to a school for children with disabilities.

The organisation I work for is a registered charity and we work to assist the local community and both voluntary and charitable organisations.