Shefki Kuqi

ponsaelius

His time at St. James' Park may have been brief, but the relationship between Shefki Kuqi and Newcastle United could not have been stronger.

Life at the Magpies made a huge impression on the Finnish striker, and it is fair to say the feeling was definitely mutual.

Kuqi arrived in the North East in early February on a short-term deal and made just six appearances in the black and white stripes - all as a substitute - before being told this week he will not be offered a new contract.

Those statistics fail to reflect though the impact the big man made on the United dressing room and all who encountered him, and as Kuqi goes on the lookout for the 14th club of his career, the 34-year-old insists Newcastle will live long in his memory.

"It's been absolutely brilliant. Words are not enough to describe this chance for me, and I enjoyed every single minute of it," Kuqi told nufc.co.uk.

"I've played for a few clubs, but this one is just amazing. Without a shadow of a doubt it is the best club I have ever played for.

"The way the people took to me here - the fans, the staff, the players - I will never forget. The rest of the squad made me so welcome and made me feel great. With the fans, even though the way I came to the Club they were absolutely brilliant to me.

"This Club will stay in my heart."

If Kuqi has one disappointment of his time on Tyneside, then it is that the Newcastle fans never got to see his famous 'Finnish flop' goal celebration.

But the veteran is realistic and knows that the Magpies' Premier League safety was more important than any personal accolades.

"I was gutted not to score a goal for this Club," he explained. "I didn't get that chance but I said from day one that the main thing was that the team survived, and not about me.

"We achieved that and although I didn't really get the chance to show what I can do, that's football.

"Even though I haven't played much the fans I see everywhere have been so happy and so positive towards me, they wished me good luck and told me they wanted to see me longer on the pitch.

"That is what Newcastle is all about - friendly people who love their football - and I won't ever forget it.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110526/shefki-newcastle-will-stay-in-my-heart_2281670_2367294

:aww: Always has seemed like a loveable guy, fondly remembered by Ipswich fans round here, too. Seems to have made an impact in the team even without playing, potential coaching role in the future? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...