Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

According to a tweet earlier today, both Fox and ESPN have dropped out of the bidding for the next round of USA PL rights. NBC Universal is the front runner with BeIN Sport a wildcard in the process.

Pretty shocking news. Thought ESPN and Fox would both be in heavily based on the WC rights moving to Fox. NBC is desperate for content on their new sports network and they want their broadband channel to compete with ESPN3 so they might be blowing everyone out of the water.

Shocked by this news but as long as we get same access to nearly all the matches in HD and an online access to see the rest I'll have no problem with this.

Perhaps NBC takes the top match or 2, NBC Sports and MSNBC take the fill? Wait and see, but if they are dropping a shed load of cash then they'll no doubt be hyping it up and making sure they provide a better experience to espn and fox (I hope).

Hopefully Warren Barton remains in a job and maybe he'll jump to NBC? I love having him support us on TV here.

If it goes to NBC Sports it'll cost me a chunk less and will become more mainstream, and easier to watch at other people's houses and at bars. NBC Sports is still showing Olympics highlights, I think they'd be plenty committed to showing every game possible.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/richard_deitsch/10/28/nbc-confirms-epl-deal/index.html#ixzz2AhZSNWlg

Every game live for the next three years.

A source with knowledge of the negotiations told SI.com that NBC Universal's winning bid was $250 million for a three-year agreement, a sum more than triple the $23 million per year that Fox currently pays for its deal.

According to Lazarus, broadcasts on those windows add up to about 200 games per season. Lazarus said the remaining 180 games will be made available "digitally or through some sort of arrangement with MVPDs (multichannel video programming distributors) on some sort of pay television package."

As part of the new deal, Lazarus said EPL fans can expect a number of games to be broadcast on over-the-air NBC. Those matches will likely air Saturdays and be shown live. Lazarus predicted viewers might see up to 18-20 games on NBC during the season, which would be a significant increase from Fox's over-the-air broadcasts.

As far as broadcasting talent, a subject of fanatical concern for soccer fans, Lazarus said he thinks NBC has some talent on its roster that will translate well but he will be in acquisition mode. The network has an exceptional soccer play by play announcer in Arlo White and it's a near-guarantee he will play a significant role on EPL broadcasts.

"We think Arlo fits very nicely, and we are working to see who fits this content," Lazarus said. "I don't think you can take someone calling an MLS game on a regional sports network, put them on an English Premier League game and have the same tone that the fan is accustomed to. We believe in the indigenous voice. And the fact we have Arlo doing our games speaks to that. We think that there is a tone and tact that the international soccer fan expects and we will not disappoint."

Sounds good to me.

Arlo is mental :lol:

All rings good to me, says all the right things and with the money they are spending it will have to be broadcasted and marketed well to justify the outlay.  Great to see big money investment by a mainstream provider like NBC to continue giving us access to the premiership :thup:

The Premiership has come a massively long way over here man, wow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest WisconsinMagpie

Hey North American fans (and friends around the world) -

Consider making underprivileged kids in Senegal a part of your holiday gift-giving, via this partnership between Papiss Cissé's foundation-sponsored nonprofit, a California company that manufactures a virtually indestructible high-tech soccer ball for use in economically and environmentally challenged places, and our blog. Link below goes directly to the page allowing you to purchase and donate footballs (not our blog - full text of blog post follows).

thanks and HTL,

Bob from @NUFC_US

With gift-giving season approaching for many here in the States and around the world, we’re excited to announce a partnership with Newcastle United’s No. 9 to help youth in his home region of Senegal have a ball this winter. A soccer ball, that is.

When young people in developing nations play soccer, their quality of life improves: They're happier, healthier and safer. Unfortunately, soccer balls are expensive, and easily punctured or deflated in harsh physical environments, leaving kids to play with makeshift balls of trash and tape and twine.

We at the blog learned recently of a company here in the US called One World Futbol Project that's developed an amazing, virtually indestructible, never-goes-flat soccer ball that's perfect for imperfect conditions in all parts of the world. One World Futbol Project has a dual mission of selling the balls to the public and donating them to schools and aid organizations in developing nations. The initial funding to design and develop the revolutionary ball came from a famous Newcastle native and NUFC fan who performs under the name Sting. And in another Newcastle-related twist, United’s Papiss Cissé has recently helped start an aid program called Friends of Sédhiou whose mission includes bringing soccer to the youth of his economically troubled home region of Senegal. They could really use a whole bunch of these footballs.

That's where you come in.

We've linked up One World Futbol Project and Cissé's relief effort in a campaign called Score For Sédhiou so Newcastle fans can give these futuristic indestructi-balls to the children of Sédhiou, Senegal. For $25, One World Futbol Project will send a ball to a school in Senegal via Friends of Sédhiou. Or for $39.50 (plus shipping), One World Futbol Project will send one ball to Senegal and one to you! Just click this link for full details and to purchase.

Cissé says, “I would like to offer my gratitude to everyone involved with trying to send the One World Futbol to Sédhiou in Senegal. Your kindness has touched me and I cannot express what it means for you to help the young people of Sédhiou play the game I love so much. I have been able to fulfill a dream of being a professional footballer, and by sending these footballs to Sédhiou, I am thrilled that more children can play football and perhaps be able to realise their dreams too.”

Thanks not only from Papiss but also from One World Futbol Project and us. We’ll have updates here on the blog as the Score For Sédhiou campaign progresses. Howay the Senegalese lads!

• 2 months later...

I don't get why it isn't on the same day worldwide.

The whole thing is retarded if you ask me. Especially since we've already got some states and countries that don't practice it, what's the bloody point?*

*I know why they do it, I just still think it's stupid.