BATHROOM SPOTLIGHTS - TRANSFORMER NECESSARY?

Lotus

I don't mean the robots....

Want to put spots in the bathroom ceiling. Seen ones that run off the mains that are IP44 covering zones 1,2 & 3, double insulated. Something in the back of mind said that stepping down to 12v would be better though.

We would be using them for zone 2.

Anyone on here have any experience? Any electricians lurking?

Gimp? Aren't you a builder?

Wouldn't there be a label on the lights that tells you how much voltage they need?

Yes, it was the side of the box. But you can buy lights that will run off 240v mains power (what we have in the UK) or you can get ones that have a transformer that step the mains power down to something like 12v. The guy in the shop couldn't tell me which ones were safer so i thought i'd try here as well as other avenues.

Assuming, as an amateur "Holy son of a bitch that shock hurt" and not in any way an electrician. 12v would be safer than 240.

Not sure about efficiency or anything, though. Depends on the bulbs at that point, I suppose.

Guest icemanblue

Optimus Prime.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4393820/Troll-face.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Trollface-dot-jpeg

Wouldn't there be a label on the lights that tells you how much voltage they need?

Yes, it was the side of the box. But you can buy lights that will run off 240v mains power (what we have in the UK) or you can get ones that have a transformer that step the mains power down to something like 12v. The guy in the shop couldn't tell me which ones were safer so i thought i'd try here as well as other avenues.

Find a shop that knows what they hell they're talking about.

My advice would be to not take advice from a foreign man who lives in a country were their plugs and s*** are probably different to ours.

Thid definitely crossed my mind but i didn't want to appear impolite!

My advice would be to not take advice from a foreign man who lives in a country were their plugs and s*** are probably different to ours.

Thid definitely crossed my mind but i didn't want to appear impolite!

Dont worry about being polite to Mike, man. Just blast him at will.

We have just fitted 30 mains ceiling spotlights in the hallway.. 30 x 50w :lol: bright as fk but looks mint.

They were a nightmare to put in, making sure they were inline and then running the cable, only needed dual core 6amp but still took 90m of cable.

I know a few people that have the 12v ones and suffer from bulbs blowing all the time, but of course they are much cheaper to run than out 1500w mahoosive overload.

We got ours from Wickes they had a great deal on 10x spotlights for just under £14.

The mains ones are safe for a bathroom they use G10 bulbs and use a silicone ring for waterproofing, double insulated means you do not need to run an earth, hence the use of duel core not triple core cable.

We have just fitted 30 mains ceiling spotlights in the hallway.. 30 x 50w :lol: bright as fk but looks mint.

30? What do you think this is, a tanning salon?

:lol:

its a really long hallway & a bigger square section where the front door is, there are 16 along the hallway then the other 14.

Sick of screaming at the kids... "TURN THE FUCKING LIGHTS OFF!!"

IMAG0115.jpg

They were a nightmare to put in, making sure they were inline and then running the cable, only needed dual core 6amp but still took 90m of cable.

I know a few people that have the 12v ones and suffer from bulbs blowing all the time, but of course they are much cheaper to run than out 1500w mahoosive overload.

We got ours from Wickes they had a great deal on 10x spotlights for just under £14.

The mains ones are safe for a bathroom they use G10 bulbs and use a silicone ring for waterproofing, double insulated means you do not need to run an earth, hence the use of duel core not triple core cable.

Thanks, man! Useful info! You've certainly got a lot of lights there! Is that 2 fire alarms there, about 2 metres apart?

Thanks, man! Useful info! You've certainly got a lot of lights there! Is that 2 fire alarms there, about 2 metres apart?

:lol: kna there is 1 smoke alarm the other two black circles are the ceiling roses where the hanging lights used to be, we wired into them for the spotlights.

what is the height of your bathroom? if they are over a certain height you can use 240v. You`re going to need 1 transformer for every 3 or 4 spotlight. They are expensive and will need to be replaced now and then. This depends on quality, heat and where/how you place them. Because of this you want to avoid using 12v spotlights (this, and the slight different in light). In Norway sone1 ends at about 2,4 meters (or 2,3 not sure), after that you can use whatever you want as long as it is grounded or double-insulated. I`m pretty sure this is European standard.

If you can touch your ceiling while standing in the shower/bath tub you will need 12v. I once connected myself to a main-cable while standing on a wet concrete floor. If only that cable carried 12 volts...  :lol:

what is the height of your bathroom? if they are over a certain height you can use 240v. You`re going to need 1 transformer for every 3 or 4 spotlight. They are expensive and will need to be replaced now and then. This depends on quality, heat and where/how you place them. Because of this you want to avoid using 12v spotlights (this, and the slight different in light). In Norway sone1 ends at about 2,4 meters (or 2,3 not sure), after that you can use whatever you want as long as it is grounded or double-insulated. I`m pretty sure this is European standard.

If you can touch your ceiling while standing in the shower/bath tub you will need 12v. I once connected myself to a main-cable while standing on a wet concrete floor. If only that cable carried 12 volts...  :lol:

Thanks for this, i think because of the low height of the ceiling we'll look at 12v lights. We'll only need 2 so i don't think we'll need more than 1 transformer. It gets pretty steamy in the shower so i may be being over cautious but i think 12v would be preferable. Have found a shop that seems to know what they're talking about so should get the right thing.

If i'm still posting this time next week then it's all gone well!