Should The UK Be Handing Out Aid While The Country Makes Cuts?

Northerngimp

Related to the politics thread but thought it desereved its own as it could get messy.

Should the UK be handing out Aid to other countires while we make cuts here reducing services for own people.

Should we look after number 1 first ?

or is there benefits from helping Allies/friends/partners?

For me it's not about benefits, it's about basic human compassion. We are one of the richest countries in the world, and we should be helping those less fortunate.

Also, our prosperity is significantly due to raping, pillaging and oppressing other countries, both in the past and arguably today.

Obviously a bigger question is how can we get those countries' own governments to help the people themselves, rather than spend a fortune on arms and armaments? Pakistan was the example in the other thread. No doubt we should be doing this as well, and applying all pressure available to change the situations in those countries.

For example, not selling them arms might be a start.

All that said, I wouldn't have a problem with reducing international aid relative to other budget cuts, I don't think aid should be ring fenced when education and the NHS isn't.

Simplistically no but...  The better question would be, should we be spending BILLIONS on a war, two now, if not three really, when we're slashing the same amount in public spending. 

The aid helps the poor, at least its heart is in the right place.  None of it goes to the governments and is run through NGOs.

At the end of the day, it's all part of our desire to be a world player.  We want to punch above our weight and shit like this helps re-enforce that.  Another question you want to ask is, would we be happy to not be part of 'world' politics and save our money for ourselves?  I doubt many would as many like the ego boost that our country is great this, and our army is great that.

Related to the politics thread but thought it desereved its own as it could get messy.

Should the UK be handing out Aid to other countires while we make cuts here reducing services for own people.

Should we look after number 1 first ?

or is there benefits from helping Allies/friends/partners?

Yes, cause we're all originally from Africa.

I demand a comparison graph showing the amount of aid we dish out relative to our GDP in relation to what other countries do.

I think it has been mentioned in the past, cant remember where but i'm sure we gave out shit loads of aid, plenty more then some seriously well off countries.

I was watching newsnight a few weeks ago, they carried out a survey with the public and aid was one of the highest or highest item to be cut before anything else.

Do the public not have a choice?

As billytray says, are we really that skint?

No matter how skint we are as a country we are thousands of times richer than Haiti and the likes could even imagine, we can't be selfish in such a way and say that's it, we just can't.

No matter how skint we are as a country we are thousands of times richer than Haiti and the likes could even imagine, we can't be selfish in such a way and say that's it, we just can't.

Haiti is a former french colony, should they not have responsibility for them?

Its a tad perverse us giving aid to India,which we do,when they are a richer country than us so much so they have a space programme.

Agree with that, if they can afford their own space programme they don't need our help. Horses for courses init.

Again, it's not going to India, it's going to charities, NGOs and such like.  We're helping people on the ground, not their government.  It is nuts sometimes, but it makes us look good.  It's about status, it's about looking like a big boy on the world stage.