Should Portugal and Spain be bailed out?

Parky

I think we need to stop this madness bailout nonsense and wake up and smell the coffee. There is a real liquidity problem in the system and to keep backing it up with future debt is just postponing it and making it a bigger problem for the near future.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

David Cameron's reasoning: Former War Ally against the evil Spanish and French - BAIL THEM OUT!

It's not Portugal we should be worrying about, tbh. Of the PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain), two have already been bailed out and we're now looking at the third.

If Spain needs to be bailed out, and its beginning to look that way due to their ridiculous benefits/redundancy system which can't really be reversed because there would be mass riots, then all members of the EU will be looking very shaky after such a large bail-out.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Didn't VI say Spain was in big troubles already? Might have just been in a football sense, I can't fully remember.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Parky, I can never tell if you're joking, being serious, or being Parky, when you post.  :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Global politics and economics is very confusing, its not this boring, or hard, in Civ4... or Age of Empires... or Heart of Iron...

I don't understand this global economics business.

a) who exactly is it that all these countries owe money to and b) what would happen if said countries weren't "bailed out"?

I don't understand this global economics business.

a) who exactly is it that all these countries owe money to and b) what would happen if said countries weren't "bailed out"?

a) To each other and private banks basically. And that's the joke.

b) stock markets would collapse if the system lost its ability to generate new capital and by proxy business.

c) We would all suffer in the sense that all our money would loose value (in real terms) and unempoyment would hit the roof.

But this system is cleary not working and all we are doing is mortgaging the future of our children and grandchildren with debt and insecurity.

Something has to change.

on a more serious note- its a fair point about giving aid during recession ,However If a country in Europe was to go under im faily sure the consequences would reach us. Hobsons choice tbh.

Spain is a massive worry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8842758.stm

This video helps to explain what a fuck-up the benefits system is. The bloke in the manufacturing plant basically can't afford to lay off workers because it will cripple his business - it all stems from the opposition to Franco promising this amazingly generous benefits system in order to depose him from power. Of course, attempting to lower the benefits in Spain would just result in mass rioting and that.

spain is in financial shite but 2 of the richest football clubs in the world are based there

no they should not be bailed out

once more our money goes everywhere but back into our country

spain is in financial shite but 2 of the richest football clubs in the world are based there

So is one of worlds biggest banks, Santander which is currently on a world wide expansion plan, and pretty soon it will be the biggest bank in the UK, at least in terms of branches.

spain is in financial s**** but 2 of the richest football clubs in the world are based there

So is one of worlds biggest banks, Santander which is currently on a world wide expansion plan, and pretty soon it will be the biggest bank in the UK, at least in terms of branches.

don't confuse companies with the countries they are in, they aren't the same thing and they aren't trying to do the same thing.

if mega corporations would pay their due taxes etc the problems wouldn't disappear but would be amssivly reduced, however if all the countries stand up to them aqnd make them pay up one country will break ranks to make a nice home for them.

the battle that needs to be fought is between business and government for at the moment business is taking the piss.

spain is in financial s**** but 2 of the richest football clubs in the world are based there

don't confuse companies with the countries they are in, they aren't the same thing and they aren't trying to do the same thing.

if mega corporations would pay their due taxes etc the problems wouldn't disappear but would be amssivly reduced, however if all the countries stand up to them aqnd make them pay up one country will break ranks to make a nice home for them.

the battle that needs to be fought is between business and government for at the moment business is taking the piss.

Yes I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't confuse companies in countries, hence why I also gave Santander as an example.

I do also agree with you that if we took too much of a stand against these companies then they will just piss off elsewhere. What we need to do though is make sure we have an operation tax. Therefor if a bank/company is to operate in say the UK then they have to pay a percentage of profit or revenue in taxes, that would mean that we will still benefit as a country and the company will not have a way out, unless it didn't operate in the country which in a lot of cases is unavoidable.

the battle that needs to be fought is between business and government for at the moment business is taking the p*ss.

Yes I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't confuse companies in countries, hence why I also gave Santander as an example.

I do also agree with you that if we took too much of a stand against these companies then they will just p*ss off elsewhere. What we need to do though is make sure we have an operation tax. Therefor if a bank/company is to operate in say the UK then they have to pay a percentage of profit or revenue in taxes, that would mean that we will still benefit as a country and the company will not have a way out, unless it didn't operate in the country which in a lot of cases is unavoidable.

even simpler, any monies made in a particular country are taxed in that country.