The Leveson Enquiry

Crumpy Gunt

Ring the number you have to ring from a landline to access your voicemail messages, enter 'your' number, nobody has a password on.

It isn't really hacking and if i was in that kind of position i'd put a pin on it.

theres a bit on last night 10 'o'clock live (repeated tonight) with a bloke who done a bit of it and he lets on a little. can't remember off hand though.

(my wifes too stupid to delete her stuff, i reckon  she's more the old fashioned "nipping out for some milk" but really nips out to a call box type)

Ring the number you have to ring from a landline to access your voicemail messages, enter 'your' number, nobody has a password on.

It isn't really hacking and if i was in that kind of position i'd put a pin on it.

i didn't even know there was a number i could ring from a landline to acccess my voicemail.

Aye, it's not 'hacking' at all. They just rang random famous people's numbers to access their voicemail. Most had no pin, the others had the standard 1234 or 0000 or whatever. Not right, but stupid on the person's behalf.

Seriously?  That was all they did?  Is this fact or conjecture?  I'm not implying anything!

I might not have read the full story, but that's the jist of what I got. I could be completely off like.

Complete fact, they didn't do anything that we couldn't do ourselves with our mobile phones and a phone number, it's not morally right but 'hacking' it certainly isn't, stupidity on the people who have been 'hacked's' part.

""Phone hacking" takes advantage of a facility that allows a cellphone user to access their messages from another telephone.

Usually this is done by dialling one's own phone and then entering a PIN code when the voicemail system kicks in. Since many users do not bother to change their PIN codes from the default settings, these can sometimes be guessed. "

Complete fact, they didn't do anything that we couldn't do ourselves with our mobile phones and a phone number, it's not morally right but 'hacking' it certainly isn't, stupidity on the people who have been 'hacked's' part.

Clive Goodman (NOTW) got sent to clink for hacking phones of members of the royal household & since then it looks like NOTW hacked Wills & kates phone.   I think it is pretty much nailed on between MI6 & Royal Protection Squad they would have make sure the Royals & there signifcent others had passwords setup after the 1st hit. Also the NOTW hired Glenn Mulcaire private investigator to help with the hacking because the key part is getting landline number so you can use the spoof card.

Stupidity on their part? So if some cunt piles into your messages because they've got too boring a life to do anything better you're the idiot? It's fucking mental this.

Stupidity on their part? So if some cunt piles into your messages because they've got too boring a life to do anything better you're the idiot? It's fucking mental this.

I'm not condoning it but if I was in a position such as theirs I would have proper protection!

Guest Heneage

I can't say I'm shocked to see them doing it. Either way it's wrong and they deserve all that's coming to them.

NOTW should be fucked lashed for this, on news night last night soom goon was saying they are waiting for Murdoch to do a full investigation.

Erm, hang on jackie, USE THE FUCKING POLICE!

Sadly, i think NOTW have summik on the police.

Its fact. That's all they did.

"That's all they did". :rolleyes:

They invaded people's privacy without any legitimate journalistic reason for doing so. They want locking up. :rant:

This is the same as burglary. :no:

They invaded people's privacy without any legitimate journalistic reason for doing so. They want locking up. :rant:

I think he means they didn't need any sophisticated methods, just that person's number :thup:

I think he means they didn't need any sophisticated methods, just that person's number :thup:

So let me get this straight, effectively what you're saying is that because someone forgets to set their burglar alarm when they go out, they are actually ASKING to be burgled? Do I have that right?

So let me get this straight, effectively what you're saying is that because someone forgets to set their burglar alarm when they go out, they are actually ASKING to be burgled? Do I have that right?

I don't know, I was trying to point out that kirkwdavis2001 wasn't trying to put the blame onto anyone, he was commenting on the level of sophistication needed to perpetrate such a heinous crime.

i.e. it was quite a simple procedure, no elaborate James Bond equipment needed :thup:

They'll have serious shit on some people, thats why its quietly rumbling on, tbh this is a massive scandal and invasion of peoples provate lives.

If this was a smaller organisation or a single person they would get smashed off the face of the earth.