Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Pele, Best (G), Ronaldo (fat), Maradona, Zidane, Eusébio, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and so on. Widely recognised as the greatest players in the history of football for one reason or another. Where does Lionel Messi fit into this?

If he's not already up there, what else would he need to do to join them?

Pele, Best (G), Ronaldo (fat), Maradona, Zidane, Eusébio, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and so on. Widely recognised as the greatest players in the history of football for one reason or another. Where does Lionel Messi fit into this?

:lol:

If he features even somewhat prominently in helping Barcelona win the CL this year, that would seal it, imho.

And if they don't he's got plenty of time still.

Too early to judge imo, he's 23, scarily he might not even be at his peak yet.

But does that mean in your opinion he's not up there already, just because he could be even better and for even longer?

But does that mean in your opinion he's not up there already, just because he could be even better and for even longer?

I think he'd need to sustain it for a few more years to be considered an all-time great, for me anyway. He's the best player in the world, but if (highly unlikely, I know) he goes off the boil and is never this good again then I don't know if he could be included in an all-time great list. He's basically there though, it's just sustaining it season after season imo.

Leave his comfort zone and prove it elsewhere. Most players look good at Barcelona.

Good shout. Not convinced he'd do that though. Leave I mean.

Would love to see him move somewhere else just for the heck of it. I mean, surely he has to get sick of destroying La Liga year after year after year at some point?

Probably true for most 23 year olds, but not when you've had three seasons like Messi has had. 133 goals and 52 assists ffs :lol:

The current Messi is worthy of being included in the debate, let alone what he might still become.

Leave his comfort zone and prove it elsewhere. Most players look good at Barcelona.

..but that good?

He's obviously brilliant but his team mates are big factors in his stats looking so good.

Aye playing in that team does help like.

Can't see him ever leaving Barca though, he owes so much to them. Unless he goes to an Argentinian side late in his career.

Probably true for most 23 year olds, but not when you've had three seasons like Messi has had. 133 goals and 52 assists ffs :lol:

The current Messi is worthy of being included in the debate, let alone what he might still become.

I agree, he's far too good to not be considered at least.

Villa doesn't look half as good in that Barcelone side and he HAS won a World Cup.

That tournament is no longer a litmus test, if it ever was.

Fair comment. Because of his nationality and physical stature he's always going to be compared to Maradona though. Maradona almost single-handedly dragged his country to a World Cup and unless Messi manages to do the same he'll always be seen, by some, as being slightly inferior to Maradona.

Throw in the fact that Maradona took a massive gamble by signing for Napoli and won major trophies there too adds to his legacy. In short, he'll always walk in Maradona's shadow.