Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Leave his comfort zone and prove it elsewhere. Most players look good at Barcelona.

..but that good?

He's obviously brilliant but his team mates are big factors in his stats looking so good.

He's a cog in a system, but he's the most important and best cog in that system. I'd say he does more to make his teamates look good than they do to make him look better.

I remember 2 seasons ago when Barca won the treble, the talk was how good his right sided combination was with Alves. He's a different player to what he was just 2 years ago, he plays far more centrally and much deeper. He's influencing the game more as a whole and thats why he's racking up assists on top of ridiculous amounts of goals. As far as I'm concerned he's not just the most natrually talented player I've ever seen, he's also the most complete player I've ever seen. Many people don't realise how good of a playmaker he actually is, on top of his dribbling and finishing his passing and vision is on level with anybody other than maybe ZIdane.

I'm not sure really, I think he needs to win a world cup before he will be considered up there with most of those. Might have to move away from spain too, those greats often showed there class in more that 1 league...

I can only go off highlight reels and games here and there for past players. But Messi is just ridiculous, already. Keep it up and I imagine he'll be the best ever if he keeps it up.

but at this point he does look better than Zidane.

I would say so, definitely. Zidane seemed to turn up when he fancied it and didn't get nearly as many goals. Messi is a monster of consistency.

Edit: just checked his stats, and I know it wasn't his main job but still Zidane only managed double figures in league goals once.

In terms of controlling games, I don't think he's the most influential Barcelona player - I think Iniesta is.

[/tin hat]

I'd say Xavi is far more important than Iniesta in terms of controlling the game. Iniesta does his thing further up the pitch than Xavi.

In terms of controlling games, I don't think he's the most influential Barcelona player - I think Iniesta is.

[/tin hat]

not even the 2nd most influential...Xavi is number one there i think.

Messi is perhaps a bit less influential in terms of controlling and dictating games than the likes of maradona or zidane, and even as you say, someone like iniesta or xavi. it's probably this that makes people slightly hesitant about labelling him the best ever. he's definitely up there, but he has to start turning up for Argentina for the south americans to really buy into him. being argentina's fulcrum at the upcoming copa america would be a good start. but in terms of talent, and end product, he's up there with the best who have ever played football, easily.

Pele, Maradona and Zidane were all key in winning World Cups for their country.  Regardless of what stature the competition holds, I think Messi has to do similar for Argentina, definitely for him to be recognised among that group by the media etc.

However in my lifetime, he's definitely up with fat Ronaldo and Zidane already as one of, if not the best and most complete player I've seen.

In my lifetime, he is the best for me. I'm 25. I always find it difficult to compare him to the older players because I've not seen them enough though but to consistently do what he is doing he must surely be comparable regardless of world cup exploits?

Xavi obviously isn't a bad shout :lol: Difficult to quantify something like control and I'm tired as feck, but I've often found "greatest footballers" to be synonymous with who can control/dominate games - which gives the edge somewhat to midfielders, than say goalkeepers or full-backs or what have you... Messi would be third in the Barcelona team in these stakes IMO.

I used to find it pejorative when people spoke of Romario as one of the greatest finishers instead of greatest players, but looking back at old games, he didn't dominate games as a younger Ankdh remembered!

Would love to see him play for a different club side, preferably in a different league. He'd probably be fantastic, but doubt we'll find out until he's past his prime (if then!).

Apart from that pipedream, all we have is Messi, Argentina and something we may never know, sadly!

The World Cup argument is stupid.  His ability is there for all to see, regardless of what medals he's won.

Djimi Traore has won the Champions League, does that make him one of football's great left backs?

It's make or break. See Baggio, R. 1994

Had Italy won that penalty shoot-out then he'd be on everyone's list. He dragged them to the Final then put one over the bar and they lost. Had they won it....

The Champions League has now eclipsed the World Cup in importance, so I don't see winning the WC as the barometer. We live in a world where people will always want to be contrare, so its difficult for him - especially as we look to the past with rose-tinted glasses. The regularity that Barca are on TV means we see mistakes (as rare as they are) that just wouldn't happen with a Pele or Di Stefano.

I think he's in that upper echelon already, along with Pele, Maradona and Di Stefano (never understood the Zidane hype). To get it in the bag he just needs to keep this up for 2-3 more years and not fade away Ronaldo-style.

Messi  :smitten:

The World Cup Final is still the pinnacle imo. Always will be.

It's the biggest stage, the biggest showcase and the tournament that defines the sport and the people who play it. If one player can lead/inspire his team-mates to win it despite being an inferior 'team' then he'll go down as a legend.

Don't get me wrong, Messi is the most talented footballer on the planet at the minute and he's awesome. But to reach the elite of the sport he needs to produce it in the World Cup.