Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Guest BooBoo

I dont really buy into "Messi has to win the World Cup to go down as a true all time great".

The World Cup is an increasingly overblown competition competed by mainly very average teams. It's a shadow of the Champions League in terms of truly testing a players ability. Messi's already got a CL winners medal and could easily have 3 or 4 more at least before he calls it a day.

Even now, he's a bone fide all time great, regardless of what he does or doesn't do with Argentina.

I dont really buy into "Messi has to win the World Cup to go down as a true all time great".

The World Cup is an increasingly overblown competition competed by mainly very average teams. It's a shadow of the Champions League in terms of truly testing a players ability. Messi's already got a CL winners medal and could easily have 3 or 4 more at least before he calls it a day.

Even now, he's a bone fide all time great, regardless of what he does or doesn't do with Argentina.

2 of them to be precise.  O0

Like Cruyff has said Messi is a much more rounded player than CR7, he plays for the team whereas Ronny plays for himself primarily it would appear and for the team secondary which with his talent he can afford to do so. In La Liga:

CR7, 28 games 28 goals, 8 assists, 218 shots.

Messi, 28 games, 29 goals, 17 assists, 135 shots.

Stats back it, Messi with way more assists than Ronny and not just taking pot shots from here, there and everywhere like Ronaldo does.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

But winning the world cup would shut the "he's not as good as such and such was" brigade up. Maradona carried a team of average players on his back in '86. If Messi did that with Jonas and co in 2014, and continued to bang 50 goals a season in the meantime then i don't think anybody could deny he's in the top handful of players ever.

I always thought Roberto Baggio was better than Zidane btw.

i always thought baggio was over rated, not mega-ly, he's not shit but not to be mentioned with the top table, of which i have to say i don't think i'd put zidane their either.

What's everyone's views on Messi blasting the ball into the crowd?

Why did he do that?

Dunno, probably frustrated and probably dislikes Real.  Would be the equivalent of Shola doing it at the SoS I guess.  :lol:

What's everyone's views on Messi blasting the ball into the crowd?

Why did he do that?

the ball wasn't far into touch when he done it and he was chasing it. seen it done many times to be greeted with some jeering from the crowd in that area and then forgetten about.

Should have been a yellow for Messi.

The fans should have appealed for it. :pow:

There was a fat guy who was waving the hell out of an imaginary card. :lol:

We rewinded that bit, it was brilliant. Never seen such vigour put into the waving of an imaginary card. :lol: