Football greats - where do Barcelona (2011) rank?

Beren

I guess, almost concomitantly, what is the level of club football competition around them right now?

Worst bunch of Italian sides I can remember for a time, same with the English (IMO).

Guest Heneage

You can only rate 'greatness' at the end of a teams lifespan and there are a few years left in this Barcelona squad.

A good point. It's worth noting how do we classify when a team starts and ends though?

When the majority of it's players have either moved on or retired?

You can only rate 'greatness' at the end of a teams lifespan and there are a few years left in this Barcelona squad.

A good point. It's worth noting how do we classify when a team starts and ends though?

When the majority of it's players have either moved on or retired?

Yes, but they'll all retire at different times. There is crossover.

Is this Barca team the same one that won in 09? Is it the same one that won in 06 because that team had Puyol, Xavi, Valdes + Messi and Iniesta sporadically.

Probably when Xavi and Puyol retire with this team.

or Guardiola leaves.

For instance I think of Sacchis Milan and Cappellos Milan as seperate even though they had many of the same personnel.

Probably when Xavi and Puyol retire with this team.

or Guardiola leaves.

For instance I think of Sacchis Milan and Cappellos Milan as seperate even though they had many of the same personnel.

Yesh, sgreed.

I reckon this Barca team is in its third season. As soon as Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, Deco and Oleguer left a new iteration began.

Best team I've ever seen. International teams are hard to compare due to the lack of games and I'm too young to compare them with past club sides. But they'll be very hard to topple.

By a mile the best side i've ever seen. I've actually seen more of Barca than any other side in England or Spain this season (not missed a single game as it happens) and they're simply football at it's most advanced and beautiful simultaneously.

Perhaps the most impressive thing is the risky football they play pressing so high up the field whilst maintaining a fantastic defensive record.

Xavi and Messi are perhaps the greatest players i've had the pleasure to watch regularly.