Football greats - where do Barcelona (2011) rank?

Beren

Most entertaining team I've watched and that's enough to call them the best team I've seen.

But were many teams that are probably up there from decades ago.

Real Madrid in the 50s, Ajax and Bayern in the 70s and Flamengo in the early 80s that absolutely raped that famous Liverpool side who were supposed to be the best team ever.

Special mention to Manchester United who I think hasn't finished below 4th for like 200000 years and is probably the most consistent team I've ever seen.

Special mention to Manchester United who I think hasn't finished below 4th for like 200000 years and is probably the most consistent team I've ever seen.

3rd is the lowest they've finished in the PL era.

There we go even better.

Fucking crazy how consistent they've been.

There we go even better.

f***ing crazy how consistent they've been.

That team when they won the treble, has to be close to the Barcelona of today.

The early-90s Milan side were the closest I've seen to them in my lifetime.

Go along with that. :nods:

Milan were better defensively but Barca are awesome going forward. Would have been a superb match.

There we go even better.

I disagree. Well in terms of style anyway.

They, like most teams (which isn't a disservice) would struggle to get the ball from Barcelona, and retain it as well.

Milan were better defensively but Barca are awesome going forward. Would have been a superb match.

Aye. Would have been class to see Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta and Tassotti up against Barcelona's attacking finesse.

Aye. Would have been class to see Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta and Tassotti up against Barcelona's attacking finesse.

I think Milan would have stifled them like Inter did this time last year but I'm not sure. Would have fancied Van Basten/Gullit to notch too.

People underrate the attacking class that that Milan side had as well though. They were the complete team.

People underrate the attacking class that that Milan side had as well though. They were the complete team.

You can't underrate Van Basten, Gullit and Donadoni.  :-*

Indeed. That 94 team. Albertini, Donadoni & Boban in the middle of the park. Woof.

There we go even better.

I disagree. Well in terms of style anyway.

They, like most teams (which isn't a disservice) would struggle to get the ball from Barcelona, and retain it as well.

Fair point. Barcelonas style of play makes them unique (same goes for Spain atm). That Manchester United side was perfect in terms of their dynamic build up though.

the ac milan side in 94 obliterated a very good barca sidefeaturing stoichkov, romario, koeman, nadal, begiristain and guardiola 4-0 in the european cup final. and what's more they did it without baresi, costacurta, laudrup and van basten.

the ac milan side in 94 obliterated a very good barca sidefeaturing stoichkov, romario, koeman, nadal, begiristain and guardiola 4-0 in the european cup final. and what's more they did it without baresi, costacurta, laudrup and van basten.

One of my early memories watching football that. Used to absolutely bot Milan like. Proper little glory seeker I was.

Champions League/European cup rules were daft as fuck back then. Remember Barca doing Man Utd something rotten in the groups as they had to play Gary Walsh and the likes.

One of my early memories watching football that. Used to absolutely bot Milan like. Proper little glory seeker I was.

Champions League/European cup rules were daft as fuck back then. Remember Barca doing Man Utd something rotten in the groups as they had to play Gary Walsh and the likes.

likewise, remember looking forward to romario and stoichkov completely twatting a weakened milan side and then being mesmerised when the opposite happened.

those two were great in that man utd game though, remember the commentators suggesting they should take off bruce or pallister and put paul parker at centre-half to counter romario's movement.  :iamatwat:

likewise, remember looking forward to romario and stoichkov completely twatting a weakened milan side and then being mesmerised when the opposite happened.

those two were great in that man utd game though, remember the commentators suggesting they should take off bruce or pallister and put paul parker at centre-half to counter romario's movement.  :iamatwat:

:lol: at the thought of Romario versus Gary Palister

Was that the game when Gary Walsh played in goal?

Nothing daft about it - three foreigners was the rule and every manager knew it and therefore only had themselves to blame when they tried to fit five or six into a matchday squad.

In fact Ferguson had one big advantage - the likes of Giggs and McClair weren't considered foreign players despite playing for a different nation...