Football greats - where do Barcelona (2011) rank?

Beren

I guess, almost concomitantly, what is the level of club football competition around them right now?

Worst bunch of Italian sides I can remember for a time, same with the English (IMO).

Real are the best team in the world after them; they'd be forst comfortably with their points total in the Prem or Serie A.  But look what happened when Barca played them.

Guest michaelfoster

Savicevic and Boban have to be two of my favourite players as well.

I had an AC Milan top as a kid with Savicevic on the back

I guess, almost concomitantly, what is the level of club football competition around them right now?

Worst bunch of Italian sides I can remember for a time, same with the English (IMO).

Real are the best team in the world after them; they'd be forst comfortably with their points total in the Prem or Serie A.  But look what happened when Barca played them.

Good point.

Yup. Not this year's team. The one with ronaldo, yes. This year's team is weak.

This barca side are the greatest I've seen in my lifetime so I'd like them to validate that by winning a couple more CLs in the next few years. They'll have three La Ligas in a row by the end of this season so they can't do more on the domestic front.

I'd go with the Zidane led Madrid that won the CL in 01/02 in first place, followed by the Dutch Milan team that thrased Barcelona 4-0 and the current Barcelona team in 3rd place. It will be interesting to see the next 4 classicos and see if the current Barcelona team is as good as  people are making them out to be.

By a mile the best side i've ever seen. I've actually seen more of Barca than any other side in England or Spain this season (not missed a single game as it happens) and they're simply football at it's most advanced and beautiful simultaneously.

Perhaps the most impressive thing is the risky football they play pressing so high up the field whilst maintaining a fantastic defensive record.

Xavi and Messi are perhaps the greatest players i've had the pleasure to watch regularly.

thread should have ended here really

Yup. Not this year's team. The one with ronaldo, yes. This year's team is weak.

This barca side are the greatest I've seen in my lifetime so I'd like them to validate that by winning a couple more CLs in the next few years. They'll have three La Ligas in a row by the end of this season so they can't do more on the domestic front.

This years team is so weak that it's 7 points ahead in the league and in semi finals in the FA cup and Champions League.

They might not look good on paper, but they keep winning. Ferguson is doing a fantastic job with them this season.

Probably the best side I've seen in my lifetime.

I think the Man Utd sides of that won the Champions League in 2007/08 and their treble winning side of 1998/99 would give them a run for their money.

I'd also like to see our 1996/97 side play against them.

Interesting how few mentions of great international football teams there have been in this thread.

As good as international sides can be, I think comparisons can't be made between club sides because of the fact that international sides just don't play enough matches, imo. This fact of course makes the best international teams quite special because they haven't had the same time as club sides to develop a style of play, but I also think the fact that they are rarely challenged by the best teams (face it, to win a World Cup you only have to really beat two good teams - in the semis and in the finals) has to affect a hypothetical international side vs club side debate. You can scrap your way into the semis of the WC if you have enough talent and luck in your team - especially because all major international tournaments are one-legged knockouts - whereas a club side wouldn't go past the quarters or the second round of a competition like the Champions League if they're not good enough.

I reckon this Barca side would give any side in history a run for their money, especially if you consider other factors like the fact that more interest and investment in football today (compared to before) leads to a more level playing field, which leads to more talent (in general), which would make it much harder for a team to dominate football today as compared to 20 or 30 years ago. That's why as good and remarkable as the Real team which won 5 consecutive European Cups were, if this Barca side were to win one more in the next few seasons, they should be regarded as the better team. This argument also applies to players as well, and it's why imo Messi is already in the top 5 ever. It's just much tougher and harder to be that much better than everyone else today, and it's astounding that both Barca and Messi are.

I think the Man Utd sides of that won the Champions League in 2007/08 and their treble winning side of 1998/99 would give them a run for their money.

think Ronaldo called it again, they'd not see enough of the ball to get anywhere near them, neither of these teams - Guardiolas Barca can't be strong-armed out of games, only once has anyone really managed to even park the bus in front of them and succeed in the CL and it had to be the absolute master of it Mourinho

i honestly think you have to recognise this current Barca team as something different to what we've ever seen before - there's always a step-change in sports, someone or something comes along and does something that changes what the game is about, evolves it

ajax total football is obviously the closest to what we're seeing with Barca now but what Guardiola has created is for the modern game; faster, stronger, hungrier, more talented & more relentless than anything that's gone before

while i think it has to be recognised as something new i also think it'll be virtually impossible for another club to replicate it

• 2 weeks later...

I was so annoyed watching them tonight and i was a neutral! :lol: I couldn't imagine watching that match as a Real Madrid fan. What a bunch of diving cheating twats! I also noticed that Dani Alves got stretchered off yet when Messi scored he was the first person to sprint over and dive on him  :angry: