Anyone got a Blackberry?

Dave

Started looking at new phones and I don't want a touchscreen. The Blackberry Bold 9780 looks interesting, and with a new model on the way (with a touchscreen...) could be dropping in price soonish.

Anyone on here got one? How are they in general use, and for web browsing etc?

Blackberry Torch for me, fantastic phone. Button and touch screen.

+1 I had and iPhone on order, then realised for what I'll use it for (light web browsing, GPS, IM, email and twitter) the Torch couldn't be £300 worse, I haven't been disappointed.

The newer Bold models have much better web browsing. Most of the slow browsing horror-stories you'll hear are Curves and below. Not as fast as extortionate iPhones etc, but pretty quick.

(I have a Curve, incidentally. It's fast enough for me).

General use is great IMO. My first smartphone, but I think it's excellent. Excellent interface. You haven't really elaborated in your OP what your phone priorities are beyond web browsing but if we're both on the same page as to what "general use" means, then I'd definitely recommend getting one.

I'm a fan of things being logical (always liked the old Sony Ericsson OS) - little things like being able to select a file and bring up a context menu that lets me send it, copy it, delete it etc, and say I want to send it, then ask whether that's by text, Bluetooth, email or to a website. I've experienced other phones before where doing things like this is a right ballache.

I hated web browsing on my curve 8900, wasn't an enjoyable browsing experience at all. Dunno if the newer models have improved with the none touch screens. It certainly isn't any better on the Torch that my mother has.

Guest Heneage

I had a BB and the web browsing was useless tbh. Good for receiving e-mails and the other stuff.

Elaborate please. Also, the model would be useful.

Curve 8900 was the one I had.

Good points.

It's a nice model fairly easy to use, camera is of good quality.

E-mails delivered quickly. They are also easy to read as it reduces them to a more minimal form.

Keypad is good size, I actually make more typo's on my HTC than I did on my blackberry.

Bad points.

GPS/Maps I found terrible, took an age to load and if you're in the car needing instant results it simply wouldn't be able to do it.

Web browsing was much the same, on iPhone and HTC as well as being able to post here I can view my online banking much easier.

The App market seemed really poor. Compared to the models already mentioned I saw few apps and those I did cost money. They were also priced up in $ which just confused me so I think I downloaded maybe one game at most?

At first I liked it a lot partly because a lot of my friends had the pin service which meant I saved on text messages. After I left Uni that became less prominent so I switched to the HTC which tbh I don't like either. I want the iPhone simply.

Oh, yeah, Nixon raises some really valid points. Blackberry definitely don't produce the best phones by any stretch of the imagination. :lol: In my opinion they do the rudimentary things the best though. If you want to live on your phone, there is better quality of life to be found elsewhere on iPhones, HTC etc - the Blackberry is ideal for me, as I want to be using my phone for as little a time as possible doing fairly basic things. Emailing on the go, IMs, checking scores, getting directions, checking the markets - not playing Street Fighter VI, watching movies etc ;)

The battery life is also pretty good (provided you don't condition it negligently). A big complaint with some of the superphones, I understand, is that they have horrendously power-consuming applications and what have you.

There is nothing to touch the iPhone, I've tried Blackberry, HTC, Nokia and nothing comes close. Get an iPhone, you won't be dissapointed

Read the OP man, I don't want a touchscreen phone. Simple as that.

I'm the same as Beren I guess, I don't want or need to listen to music or watch video on my phone, or play 3D games. Good battery life is a major positive, and it absolutely has to be able to tether over Bluetooth.

Cheers Nixon btw. :thup:

Guest Heneage

Actually Dave, I've got my 8900 lying round the house if you want to try it out before you buy? Could show you next time I'm over Newcastle.

My missus swears by hers, having said that she doesn't use it for much more than texting, light browsing and Facebook. I always find it quite easy to use though. I was considering the Torch for my upcoming upgrade but I'm too tempted to get an Android.