Should a good cup run be a priority next season?

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With Birmingham winning the Carling Cup and Stoke looking good for the FA Cup final, should we be making a better effort to win the cups i.e. playing full strength and making it a priority? If we went full strength against Stevenage for a start we probably wouldnt have went out.

I want another season of a respectable league position to be focused on tbh. Not saying throw our reserves out all the time, more than happy for us to play full strength as long as it doesn't clearly hinder us in the league. A good mix of blooding youth and our top seniors. More than happy for a cup run, but don't want us going out with that specific aim for the next season.

Guest BooBoo

We should always give the cups a good go but team selections for the games should always be carefully considered if we're struggling in the league.

Not a priority as such but I would be a lot less cautious than I have been the last couple of years. If we sign a couple of really good players and a few decent squad players to oust some of the wasters we currently have then we should give it a proper go.

Priority for me is comfortable top 10.

No, survival will be our main concern.

This, just hoping for the next year that we don't develop that second season syndrome.

If we are looking good Jan/Feb and we are still in a cup, then by all means. :thup:

How depressing.

Not sure why all competitions can't be approached with an equal sense of importance. Birmingham and Stoke will both finish quite pleasantly in mid-table and have enjoyed cup success.

The prospect of prioritising mid-table mediocrity over the possibility of actually winning something for the first time in 40 years is incredibly dull.

This, just hoping for the next year that we don't develop that second season syndrome.

If we are looking good Jan/Feb and we are still in a cup, then by all means. :thup:

How depressing.

Not sure why all competitions can't be approached with an equal sense of importance. Birmingham and Stoke will both finish quite pleasantly in mid-table and have enjoyed cup success.

The prospect of prioritising mid-table mediocrity over the possibility of actually winning something for the first time in 40 years is incredibly dull.

:thup:

Not priority, but I'd like us to give a go. Like Stoke/Bolton etc. manage to without self-imploding, losing all their players and getting relegated.

If survival is our main concern next season, I'd be extremely disappointed.

The thing is, I don't think Bolton or Stoke 'prioritised' for cup runs. I don't think anyone really does. It just gets to a certain point, quarter finals, where you think 'hold on, we're doing pretty fucking good here', and you go from there.

How depressing.

Absolutely.

If we went full strength against Stevenage for a start we probably wouldnt have went out.

Erm... apart from Krul in goal we pretty much did go full strength. :lol:

Krul was first choice that time.

Smith, Perch and Routledge not so much.

You really need to ask this question again when the season is about to begin. Until then we've no way of knowing what kind of squad we will have, if you want to base it on what we've got now then no, survival is the only priority, but I'd like to think we'd have a squad capable of a bit more ambition come the start of the new campaign.

How depressing.

Prioritising mid table mediocrity? Give over man. :lol:

If that were even possible, would that not suggest that if we did prioritise a cup we might not even make that?

All I was saying was that the greatest concern for every club is going down (moreso in your second season up I would hazard), then beyond that you try and win anything and everything you are still in with a chance in.

Any priorities will naturally develop only once one of those things is within touching distance.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

With Birmingham winning the Carling Cup and Stoke looking good for the FA Cup final, should we be making a better effort to win the cups i.e. playing full strength and making it a priority? If we went full strength against Stevenage for a start we probably wouldnt have went out.

If we didn't go full strength we would have probably not been knocked out.

Guest BooBoo

I gave up hoping we'd win a cup many year ago :(

There's truth in this. Quite sadly I find the thought of us actually winning something vaguely ridiculous.

I gave up hoping we'd win a cup many year ago :(

There's truth in this. Quite sadly I find the thought of us actually winning something vaguely ridiculous.

This.

I think TT's post above has a lot of sense in it. Waiting until we know what our squad looks like come the start of the season seems quite sensible.

It'd be great if we could get a cup, but we haven't had the draw luck since the late 90s! People will point to examples of Birmingham and Stoke for two examples of fairly mediocre sides who have made it to a cup final/won (even with Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs/Man City all competing for too few trophies), but for every Birmingham there's a West Ham whose cup run probably wasn't the best thing for them!

It's all a bit of a punt really. We could put field our best side and get drawn at Anfield and Old Trafford in successive early rounds. Equally, we could play our B-side and progress past lower league sides and suddenly find ourselves in the QF without really breaking a sweat.

Just know, that as soon as we considered taking it seriously we'd draw a big gun! :laugh:

Guest neesy111

Much like when we reached the final in 98/99 if we had an easy run like Stoke have had we'd reach the final.

We would of had a decent run if we had knocked Stevenage this year if you look at the draw from the retrospective teams.