Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

On 19/11/2021 at 08:38, Astroblack said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where do you think certain players would fit in to the new styles of football being played in this day and age. Like a Solano. I couldn’t see him playing as a right winger in this day as  he didn’t have much pace but I could see him as a central mid in midfield three. Or a Laurent Robert. Would he play as a left sided player in a three prong attack? 

did we play 443 under Sir Bobby? Where did players like that fit in? 

We've never played 443

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Who was our most recent England international? Minds gone completely blank.

Townsend was in the squad when England played Turkey in a friendly in May 2016, but was an unused sub and had played his last game for us by that point. So I dunno if that counts. :lol:

Edit: played in a friendly later in the month against Australia. 

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Did Colback not make the squad?

He did, after getting lauded for watching Man City walk around him for 90mins. Stevie Fistpumps too. 

Edit: or did Colback pull out with injury? 

Edited by CFlan

• 2 months later...

When Final Score of Soccer Saturday show a round up of all the games at the end of the show, there is always a column titled "Pools" with a bunch of numbers. What's does that mean? Is it a betting thing? 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

When Final Score of Soccer Saturday show a round up of all the games at the end of the show, there is always a column titled "Pools" with a bunch of numbers. What's does that mean? Is it a betting thing? 

You've never heard of the football pools? :lol: It's well old. Me grandad used to do it, don't know anyone who does these days.

https://www.footballpools.com/home

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Showing your young age with this comment.

20 minutes ago, 54 said:

The pools used to be the lucrative thing back in the day. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it something like you pay £13 and you pick a certain number of games you think are going to be a draw. You get 2 points for a score draw and 1 point for a nils each? Smash the points and you win the jackpot. I'm in my mid 30s so never played it but it was big back in the 80s I think 

And when there was bad weather and a lot of postponed games, the Pools Panel used to sit and judge what they thought would have been the outcomes of the games affected.

This was made up of ex- pro's, a bit like the Soccer Saturday panel, only with brains.

8 minutes ago, bigfella said:

And when there was bad weather and a lot of postponed games, the Pools Panel used to sit and judge what they thought would have been the outcomes of the games affected.

This was made up of ex- pro's, a bit like the Soccer Saturday panel, only with brains.

Tony Green was on the pools panel. And I'm sure I saw a comedy of the pools panel played out like Twelve Angry Men.

Edit....I think the myth is that Willie McFaul got sacked after a pool's panel result.

Edited by madras

31 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

The pools used to be the lucrative thing back in the day. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it something like you pay £13 and you pick a certain number of games you think are going to be a draw. You get 2 points for a score draw and 1 point for a nils each? Smash the points and you win the jackpot. I'm in my mid 30s so never played it but it was big back in the 80s I think 

3pts Score draw

2pts No score draw

1 1/2pts away win

1pt home win.

8 results counted from your choices, 8 from 10 was one price, 8 from 11 cost more etc. If there were 8 score draws that week the dividend forecast would be high with claims required for 24pts.

You could also do 4 aways, 6 homes etc for smaller winnings.

4 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Aye the pools, you might get a few crumbs one week. And its mate spot the fucking ball 

That was always blind luck as you had to be within a FUCKING MICRON of the centre of the ball based on a tiny pic.

My granda used to play it all the time.

Edited by Lazarus

2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

That was always blind luck as you had to be within a FUCKING MICRON of the centre of the ball based on a tiny pic.

My granda used to plas it all the time.

You had to get the centre of your cross on the centre of the ball in this little fucking grainy photo

You got 10 crosses and nine of them were fucking miles away

1 hour ago, madras said:

3pts Score draw

2pts No score draw

1 1/2pts away win

1pt home win.

8 results counted from your choices, 8 from 10 was one price, 8 from 11 cost more etc. If there were 8 score draws that week the dividend forecast would be high with claims required for 24pts.

You could also do 4 aways, 6 homes etc for smaller winnings.

Yeah something like this 😁👍