Your worst visit to an away ground?

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

Ive only been to one away game (Barnsley away last season) and the best thing about Barnsley was the road out of it, as we drove in there was a baby buggy tied to a post at the end of someone's drive with a for sale sign on it :D

Stadium was actually ok, apart from the massive old fashioned gate/turnstiles that we had to go through to get to the courtyard which led into the side of the stand.

So what is the worst town/city/stadium you have been to as an away fan?

Getting thrown out of Anfield.

Spending 16+ hours on a coach to go to Fratton Park to see the worst game of football ever, 0-0 and I don't think either side had a shot on target.

You say all that about Barnsley but give me an away day at a ground like Oakwell over one of these new flat pack stadiums any day of the week.

Guest bengenufc

Plymouth away last season in the fa cup for a 0-0 draw  :facepalm:

highlight of the day was a nicky butt 30 yard volley which hit the post  :snod:

Genuinely my enjoyment of an away trip is determined by the result rather than the area. The more grounds you visit it seems like a large majority of them are either shitpiles that are falling apart themselves, or the surrounding area is completely rancid. Often both, rarely neither. However like Greg says these grim sights still outshine the flatpack grounds in the middle of nowhere.

So based on purely result, Villa away ('R-day') is probably my worst experience. In terms of the area, idk, Liverpool was pretty rancid. West Brom too.

Guest michaelfoster

Spending 16+ hours on a coach to go to Fratton Park to see the worst game of football ever, 0-0 and I don't think either side had a shot on target.

You say all that about Barnsley but give me an away day at a ground like Oakwell over one of these new flat pack stadiums any day of the week.

why did you get thrown out of anfield Greg? :D

Fulham games are always really bad, but the ground is nice so I wouldn't say the trips are actually bad.

Fratton Park is the worst ground, absolutely shit. Luckily I only travelled from Oxford and not from Newcastle.

Watford was also a terrible place to watch football... but I was kind of into the novelty of the Championship.

why did you get thrown out of anfield Greg? :D

Bloke in the row in front called me a fat bastard so I grabbed him by the throat and told him to shut the fuck up. Both got ejected.

Notts Forest Away last season.

Coach window went out just past Testo's roundabout. Frantic to get replacement coaches - delayed an hour an a half before 49 and 30 seat coaches turn up. (It was thick of snow aswell)

Got about 30 mile from Notts when the 30 seater started to chug.....just mde it for KO.

Headed back up M1 and got to J30 when the bastard gave up all together. Sat another hour til they sent bck one of the 50 seaters to collect us so over 80 folk on a 50 seater.

Bastard of a trip that one mind. Did we get beat? I can't remember now...1-0 rings a bell.

Actually, no, I lie.

My worst experience was definitely Old Trafford. Got smacked in the back of the head by some 30-something skinhead Manc after being sent towards the away end by a Steward (!).Then had a rotten stomach bug so spent the entirety of the first half on the bog, managed to gather myself together enough to watch the second half inwhich we proceded to concede 6 goals.

I dislike the totally soulless grounds as well now I think about it, Cardiff and Coventry spring to mind.

Cardiff was a nice trip though, sunny day and got some chat from the toll booth bloke and a few local fans.

The bastards gave me a fine when we played Swansea away, I didn't have enough change and they didn't take cards!

Guest BooBoo

From this season, Man City. The Ben Arfa/ De Jong scandal, atrocious refereeing performance and the Toon charvas were out in force. Plus I got soaked on the way to the ground.

Difficult to say overall. There's been many many disappointed trips home but in general my away trips are usually saved by a bevy of beer and great crack. Saturday for example was a bloody awful game of football but I had a really good time. Even the Villa relegation trip was pretty good other than the blindingly obvious fact that we went down! I think I'll plump for the Man Utd semi final at Cardiff. The journey both there and back was hellish meaning we only had two hours pre kick off for any sort of explore or drink, we were predictably thrashed and the bus home was minging with stale beer, feet and farts. After returning home after about 36 hours of being awake, I vowed that would be last bus trip to any away game and apart from the very odd occassion, I've swerved long distance bus travel ever since.

West Brom. Horrible place. To top It off I missed the first half being sick in the toilet until my mate broke the door down. I then proceeded to be sick on the man in front of me. He didn't notice all game.

Then I fell asleep on the bus home and woke up to find myself with no eyebrows and drawings on my face. School wasn't fun on the monday...

Guest BooBoo

Notts Forest Away last season.

Coach window went out just past Testo's roundabout. Frantic to get replacement coaches - delayed an hour an a half before 49 and 30 seat coaches turn up. (It was thick of snow aswell)

Got about 30 mile from Notts when the 30 seater started to chug.....just mde it for KO.

Headed back up M1 and got to J30 when the bastard gave up all together. Sat another hour til they sent bck one of the 50 seaters to collect us so over 80 folk on a 50 seater.

Bastard of a trip that one mind. Did we get beat? I can't remember now...1-0 rings a bell.

I had a stinker of a trip on that one. Met up with some lads pre game in Hooters which was a bag of shite and the overpowering stench of fried food gave me a cracking headache. The Forest fans went on like absolute twats that night, it was their biggest game for years.

Barnsley is fucking horrible like.

Don't mind Wigan too much as it has a pleasant Silverlink type place next to it with a Frankie & Benny's :fwap:

Villa's ground feels like it's in the centre Kabul. Coventry was bad, middle of nowhere, depressing ground.

Boro wins hands down though, of course. Horrible people and horrible police. Would sooner fashion a wound in my chest and cram it full of shit before returning there.

Derby away 3-0 loss

Gillingham's ground is the biggest pile of s**** Ive ever been to

That game I sat next to some nutcase who clapped for the full 90 mins. Was bastard freezing and this mong wasn't wearing gloves. His hand were glowing in the dark by the end :lol: