Your worst visit to an away ground?

Guest michaelfoster

Forest was shite for pre-match bars, ended up going to a Notts County bar.

Eastlands is in a proper shite area like, no chance of getting in any of the bars near the ground, even Asda wouldn't serve us drink.

Obviously Wigan is a fucking dive, like.

Going to Pompey a few years ago with Back Page, radgy cunts being radgy cunts all the way down, plus we got beat. Swansea last season with Back Page was shit too, fucking glad I don't go down with them anymore

Actually, another great suggestion that Derby game. Shocking away atmosphere (which was mocked to the hilt by the home fans) and a truly abysmal performance on the pitch.

The shit that was served up was even more irritating because it was the first time we lined up in the much demanded 4-4-2, Nolan and Guthrie in the middle with Jonas and Routledge on the flanks.

Guest BooBoo

If anyone ever wants to have a good away trip, then Back Page coaches should be avoided at all costs.

You get a lod of charvas travelling and they get you to the ground far too late.

Barnsley away last season. In the ground there was only one way to get out of the stand so people had to keep walking past at half time and there was no leg room, after the match the fans were shite and just trying to rial our fans and lastly while waiting for a taxi back to my Aunts house I felt like I was going to die.

If anyone ever wants to have a good away trip, then Back Page coaches should be avoided at all costs.

You get a lod of charvas travelling and they get you to the ground far too late.

Aye, didn't know of anyone else at the time though, one i use now is spot-on like.

Anyone on here heard of Dave Abbot/Dave the Optimist's coach/coaches? :lol: was only through a mate of a matre that I heard of him.

Several Wigan 1-0s spring to mind. s*** boring ground, crap matches, rubbish club and resentment at losing to a team with no fans, who couldn't care less.  I far prefer to the old garden shed grounds to the generic flatpack ones.

I sort of enjoyed Villa park relegation day in a way. There are a lot of forgetful soul-destroying defeats, but I left Villa Park feeling defiant, not destroyed.

Oh and Ventspils (Latvia) in 3rd qualifying round of the UEFA cup. Enjoyed the trip, but match was horrible. Duff's debut, won 1-0 with late Titus goal. But mainly because for some reason, the small newcastle contingent basically turned into a BNP rally.  It was the day of the liquid bomb scare at Heathrow, and the main chant was "kill the packis", with one guy preaching with much support. I;ve never felt so uncomfortable and ashamed.

Guest BooBoo

Train all the way for me these days. It's just a far more comfortable way of travelling. I'd probably only be persuaded to do a coach trip now if it was with mates, rather than risk being cooped up for 6 hours with a bunch of tools. I remember a Back Page trip to Everton where I had about 8 lads behind me all about 18 and all pissed, who had a two hour farting competition to pass the time on the way home.

God I had forgot about all those fucking 1 nil defeats at Wigan.

I've been on some horrible away trips but the memories I have from the good times will stay with me forever (especially some of the European trips) and I can quite easily forget the shite.

Indeed. Always used to go with them before realising they are ridiculously shit and expensive for what they offer. Also, the fact the silver fox of the back page kicks off when he finds drink was annoying.

Worst away game in terms of performance was probably the Hull 1-1 in the Prem. Just bleurgh.

Train all the way for me these days. It's just a far more comfortable way of travelling. I'd probably only be persuaded to do a coach trip now if it was with mates, rather than risk being cooped up for 6 hours with a bunch of tools. I remember a Back Page trip to Everton where I had about 8 lads behind me all about 18 and all pissed, who had a two hour farting competition to pass the time on the way home.

:lol: Fucking hell.

Have only travelled by train to an away match once, for West ham this season, was excellent like.

Quite a few regulars on the coach I travel on, all seem sound, know what you mean about the risk of being stuck with knackers though.

Don't know how anyone could sit on a coach for 2-3 hours each way for a game, would do my head in.

For me it would be Hull in the FA cup, such a boring game and left my rail card at home, meaning I was kicked off at some midlands shithole making the journey back about 2 hours longer.

All this talk about coach's being a bad way of travelling is getting me worried about this return trip to Wembley for the FA Vase final coming up soon.

Believe me there will be a point when you'll wish you had stumped up the extra to get the choo-choo.

Doubt I could face doing a London game by Coach. Suppose I'm spoilt with getting the train all the time these days.

Only been to 1 away game with Newcastle and it was a friendly against Shamrock Rovers :lol: Been to plenty of away games for my local GAA side Down though. Worst away day with them had to be Cork this year. 5 hours drive each way, the bus driver decided to stop everyone from drinking which made it seem a hell of a lot longer. We got a taxi from a pub to the ground and the driver didnt even know where the ground was ffs, then when we got there Cork beat us by 11 points, which is embarrassing. The nice people of Cork also decided call us "northern bastards" etc for the whole time :lol: That kind of hostility is never seen in GAA, everyones friendly, except Cork, Armagh and some Dubs.

Coach isn't that bad man, although if you've been doing it all your life your probably sick of it now. If your younger like me you can learn to put up with some knackers and just get your head down for an hour.

I done Swansea last season on coach and I'll admit I sort of felt suicidal, and yes it was with the backpage

West Brom this season;

- lost 3-1

- was in the hieght of the freezing cold patch we had

- Birmingham is a shithole

- train to get to Birmingham wasnt particularly cheap in the first place

- the ground itself not only isnt particularly nice, but the layout doesnt make sense, as in they could cram some extra seats in if they didnt have so many seemingly empty areas of the stadium

- came back to a flatmate who is a west brom fan....

christ, that was a low-light

also, some have bad memories of relegation day, but i went this year to Villa Park and thought the stadium/surrounding area wasnt too bad, though they could do with sorting out transport for when the trains pack in next time. Had to run from Villa Park to the New Street Station, a handy 3 mile run! Was sunny and the square area outside the gruond made up for them playing a constant loop of them beating us 4-1 on the huge fuck off rotating video screens...

Boro wins hands down though, of course. Horrible people and horrible police. Would sooner fashion a wound in my chest and cram it full of s*** before returning there.

This, with an emphasis on the police. Utter cunts. I see the best of everyone and every place - love going away - I don't ask much but I do ask to be treated like a human being. We got through some horrible moments in the 80s as fans and I thought never again, but Boro made me think that they had learned nothing.

Surprised about the Barnsley criticisms, thought it was a good day out, good distance and an old fashioned 3pm k/o in a whole stand full of us, summed up the championship for me.

Worst away for me has to be Bolton, left that genuinely thinking of packing it in, horrendous day, but i've got over it

Stoke this year was pretty grim but was a decent laugh