Your worst visit to an away ground?

Guest michaelfoster

Guest KeithKettleborough

Can think of 3 occasions when I have really been feeling pretty bad at an away game. Walsall away in the Cup in the 1970's was a pretty humiliating experience. Lost on a mud heap and the ground was a tip. Remember having to walk over some railway lines to get out of the place and really felt we were scraping the barrel that day.

Secondly again the 70's and Leeds away. Our "fans" were allowed into some bar/club which was going well before the game. Then for some reason folk started throwing the chairs through these huge shop-like windows the place had. We headed out after the first chair but by the time we got outside, place was wrecked. Felt had been part of some low life as was an awful thing to do and the face of the manager was one of shock and horror as an indoor riot started. Then Leeds, with the players and manager you hated, far more than Man U today I feel, hammered us and we hardly got a kick. Ages to get to the buses and delays getting out made it a day to forget.

Finally was Blackburn in mid 90's. What a dump and it was a freezing, damp day where the cold went right through you. Lads had their feet up on the hand dryers in the netties to try and warm themselves up it was that bad. The game was terrible and I commented that I thought it was over, the dream was ending. Little did I know how right I was, as a short time afterwards, KK left and the "Entertainers" were probably gone for ever.

This season Blackburn away 0-0 one of the most boring games I've ever seen solely thanks to the stunningly negative tactics of the hosts.

Worst all time probably Tottenham away in the relegation season, was in with the home fans and we lost 1-0. One of the most fraustrating and demoralising 2 hours of my life.

Also went to Barnsley vs Swansea this season, Barnsley is an utter dump.

Promotion season in the early 1990s away to Peterbrough...CP40 takes me and a mate down, i think we were about 16 at the time.

Crushed into the shed end, blazing hot heat, i get sun stroke or summik and ended up lying on the floor stiff as a board and unable to move, toon fans pissing next to me.

CP40 turns round "i'm never taking you to an away match AGIAN!"

:lol:

Millwall - just grim - carefully planned violence

Chelski in the 80's - mindless violence

Joker Park - just violence

for depressing grounds the old Stoke ground was truly abysmal

Millwall - just grim - carefully planned violence

Chelski in the 80's - mindless violence

Joker Park - just violence

Millwall was very carefully planned violence. The old Den was anyway, never been to the new and no intention of ever going either. Great day out but it was dangerous. Couldnt drive down Old Kent Road cos some old woman had been killed, so walked,  couldnt walk up it either or we would have had our heads booted (the police kindly informed us that we had been 'spotted') so ended up in the back of another Mags van. Thank fuck

Guest Roger Kint

October 2005. My first away trip with just mates, what an utter shithole ground/fans/police they were. Nearly got arrested for getting hit with a bottle off a Stoke fan when waiting to get in, wankers!

I dislike the totally soulless grounds as well now I think about it, Cardiff and Coventry spring to mind.

Cardiff was a nice trip though, sunny day and got some chat from the toll booth bloke and a few local fans.

I've never been to any away games in the midlands, sounds like I shouldn't bother.

You can't have it both ways Ian

The area around Goodison Park is an absolute fucking dive. Every cunt was in trackie bottoms and the pubs had bars on the windows. We were in a bar called The Brick and in one hour three people came in trying to flog us stuff - two lads with knock off DVDs and one pisshead with a gold chain he was desperate to get rid of. We had to gan to the cash machine too and I've never been so sure I was going to get stabbed in my life :lol: It's a shame as Goodison is a nice old ground.

The Reebok is wank. Sterile, flat pack and in the middle of fucking no where. Didn't help we got hammered, like. I hate London Road too, although the lack of drink on sale probably had a lot to do with that.

I don't want to sound arrogant but away days to Newcastle must be fucking brilliant. Great stadium, loads of bars within spitting distance, friendly natives etc. Nee wonder everyone was glad we got promotion back to the top flight :lol:

I dislike the totally soulless grounds as well now I think about it, Cardiff and Coventry spring to mind.

Cardiff was a nice trip though, sunny day and got some chat from the toll booth bloke and a few local fans.

I've never been to any away games in the midlands, sounds like I shouldn't bother.

You can't have it both ways Ian

Ha, true, I'll just stick to Craven Cottage I suppose!

1-0 loss at Boro recently was pretty bad. Game was re-arranged for being originally postponed for non-existant snow. Horrible people and place, bad result, mate got a slap as we made our way back to the coaches. Won't rush back there. Hopefully never play them again.

Tasting my 1st away defeat to the mackems the other year has to be up there i suppose, but it had to happen one year. They waited 28 years or so.

From a travelling point of view, i remember going to a league cup tie at Plough lane, Wimbledon in the 80's. The coach got stuck in traffic after an accident. We turned up for the last 20 mins with the score 1-1, then they snatched it with a last minute goal, leaving us with nothing but the massive coach journey home to look forward to.

Notts County away in 1991. Travelled down on the old Jordan's supporters bus, from Bedlington which broke down at Wetherby. Stuck there for 2 bloody hours until another bus came to pick us up and seeing as it was too late to head down, we were taken straight back home. Think the lads got battered 3-0 that day too. I also remember Hull away the same year (travelled down on the Armstrong Galley's bus) - we lost 2-1 and I remember giving Iain Hesford (ex mackem) in the Hull goal a shit load of stick. Boothferry Park was a real dump.

There is so many, was at Villa when we went down, Villa when we lost 4-1, WBA this season when we lost 3-1 and too many like that that to remember.

Derby and Wigan under Allardyce are the worst though, I don't think we managed a shot on goal in 180 minutes of football, the tactics were useless, it was embarrassing and I was fucking livid after both.

Derby when we lost 1-0 to a Kenny Miller goal. Think we must've had about 1 shot on target, it was so cold, it was a Monday? night, they were the worst side to ever grace the PL yet we still managed to play like a sunday league side.

Embarrassing.

Guest GAMMELL

St. Andrews is a right shithole, I was there in 2006 IIRC, was a an absolute shit game of football, finished 0-0 and Brum got relegated. Their fans were a complete no show & ultimately started aload of shit after the game in what led me to get involved in a scuffle or 2 & ended up with a tasty black eye for me troubles.  :lol: Bastards!

Add the fact that I had to endure 20 minutes of watching Mr. Matthew Pattison play for us was the final fucking straw. Wank away day.

Scunthorpe away last season.

All started when I went to collect pre-booked tickets at Central, the machine was acting up and not recognising the booking number I gave.  Had to stand in a massive queue to have them printed manually, missed the train and had to get on another one down to Doncaster.

Glanford Park is in the middle of nowhere, so had to get a taxi, which I'm sure we were fleeced for.  Theres only one pub around, which was packed, so could only have a few pints.

Glanford Park itself is the shittest ground I have ever been to in my entire life.  No booze available inside either.

The game itself was fucking shit.  Geremi was worse than useless.  One of the poorest displays I've seen in a black and white shirt against shit opposition and the rest weren't much better.

The fucking taxi driver that picked us up to take us back to the station decided to park up in McDonalds, rather than wait on the side of the road like loads of others were, so we got stuck in traffic and nearly missed the train.

The train from Scunny back to Doncaster was one of those Northern Rail two carriage chuggers, it was slow as fuck and stank of piss.

We had a 45 minute layover in Doncaster.  All the pubs near the station were shut and we couldn't find an off-license to buy some cans.

Something happened at York and the train stopped there for a further half an hour.

Being located north or the border I don't get to many away games so gotta go with the pre-season defeat suffered at the hands of mighty Livingston in July '99.  Horible place, horrible flat pack stadium (without the benefit of Amanda Lamb popping by!) and utter gash result. 

Guest magpie99

Walsall away in the FA Cup, 1975.

What a shithole.

It had been raining all week and as we got on the train at the central station, there were rumours ofthe game being called off. By the time the train dropped us off a mile from the ground under a bloody motorway, we were all herded in like cattle throughone shitty little side entrance and when we saw the pitch, not a blade of grass, just a muddy quagmire. Naturally, we lost 0-1 and Supermac was shite all day.

Funniest part was a couple of the lads got kicked off the train in Derby on the way back for being pissed.

The majority of my away trips belong in this thread tbh - I don't have the best of records :lol: .

My first was the 0-3 at Blackburn in the relegation season, where it was damp and depressing, Kinnear kept Jonas on the bench for 70 minutes and we spent most of the game singing "We're s*** and we're sick of it".

Next was a long coastal drive to a drab 1-1 draw at Dundee where, with the stadium at the top of the hill, my brother decided to park half an hour's walk away at the bottom.

I then had the 1-2 Scunny trip, with its one pub and Tesco. Followed by three victories (yey!) at Doncaster, Carlisle and Accrington.

And the latest, sat uncomfortably in the sweltering sun whilst we lay down and took it from Villa.