Your worst visit to an away ground?

Guest michaelfoster

I find that these days the worst away trips tend to be those for which the host club is desperate to get people in through the door, so make cheap tickets available.

To that end, for us, Wigan and Blackburn away are always absolute cunt magnets.

To be honest, one of my worst ever away experiences was Newcastle in about 1988. Got chased across the city centre, my mate's sister got a brick put in her face at point blank range by some cunt, and three of us got arrested later on for absolutely no reason. A poor day. It was just one of those "when everything goes wrong ..." trips.

Incidentally, I like football grounds in shit areas. That's the way it was supposed to be back in the day where clubs were formed in working class areas, which have frequently declined even more over time.

When I was a youngster, I remember going to the 1985 LC semi final away leg at Oxford United (which incidentally, and back to the topic, was the single most depressing away experience of my entire life) and being gobsmacked at what a nice, middle class area the ground was in.

Went to Villa Park for the first time this season, agree about the surrounding area being an utter shit-heap.

Aston is a very, very deprived area, and one I would take strenuous moves to avoid frequenting, yet Villa Park is in the grounds of a Jacobean stately home.

It's a paradox. Or something.

Incidentally getting tonked off Wimbledon  at Selhurst Park when Ruel Fox made his debut was shite.

Selhurst Park, despite being the place I saw the best goal I've ever seen scored "in the flesh", is possibly my least favourite ground ever.

Horrible air of plasticity and desperation about the place, and it was a cunt to get to, even when i was living in London at the time.

Charlton some years ago. Nothing spectacular happened but everything was dreary and crap. Travelling to a horrible part of London. The mate I was with moaning all the time. Being sat behind a pillar and surrounded by the Stone Island boys, who kept threatening violence to this old gadgie behind them who was (reasonably) complaining that he couldn't see because they wouldn't sit down. Meanwhile, boring game and disappointing result. Can't remember a single thing that happened on the field.

South Yorkshire police also used to render any trip to Sheffield grounds an unpleasant experience. Deliberately barging into you, trying to provoke stuff, arseholes. West Midlands police were the same, too.

St. Andrews is a right shithole, I was there in 2006 IIRC, was a an absolute shit game of football, finished 0-0 and Brum got relegated. Their fans were a complete no show & ultimately started aload of shit after the game in what led me to get involved in a scuffle or 2 & ended up with a tasty black eye for me troubles.  :lol: Bastards!

Add the fact that I had to endure 20 minutes of watching Mr. Matthew Pattison play for us was the final fucking straw. Wank away day.

That one was alright. Nice sunny day out, sending some daft brummies down.

The area around isn't that bad either iirc, all I can remember is a Mcdonalds like. Just remember Titus going through on goal and shitting himself, what a lad  :lol:

Guest The_Optimistic

Bolton was f***ing rubbish.  Went there when we lost 1-0 in the relegation season.  The one pub nearby wasn't letting away fans in, so we just went and got cans from ASDA and sat in the retail park, much to the disgust of the locals.

Same here, we tried to buy cans from the ASDA but they wouldn't serve us as we had toon tops on, couldn't believe it.

Stoke away when they broke Rambo's leg. I was absolutely fucked, not alcohol related more ill than i've ever been in my life but i was like "I MUST GO TO THE GAME" so went. Sat down the whole time whilst everyone around me was stood up had to run to the bogs threw up. Honestly, shouldn't have gone. Then they killed rambo.

Incidentally, I like football grounds in s*** areas. That's the way it was supposed to be back in the day where clubs were formed in working class areas, which have frequently declined even more over time.

:thup:

I like Anfield and Goodison for this reason.

I can't stand flat pack stadiums in the middle of nowhere (Bolton, Wigan) where you have to trek a couple of miles for a pint.

The 6-0 drubbing at Old Trafford a few years back was definitely one of the worst for me.  It's the only time where I've left before the final whistle.

Incidentally, I like football grounds in s*** areas. That's the way it was supposed to be back in the day where clubs were formed in working class areas, which have frequently declined even more over time.

I can't stand flat pack stadiums in the middle of nowhere (Bolton, Wigan) where you have to trek a couple of miles for a pint.

I liked Bolton, drink in Manchester before then hop on train and out.

Guest Heneage

Barnsley was nice one Birmingham sadly wasn't. I came about hour before kick off after full day at Uni and it was a piss poor game. Got dropped off in Darlo and my card wouldn't work so I had to barter with taxi driver for my iPod then go back to Darlo next day and pay him.

I liked Bolton, drink in Manchester before then hop on train and out.

The BeeHive pub in Bolton is quite good and not too far from the ground. Despite the result this season i had a mint day like.

Incidentally getting tonked off Wimbledon  at Selhurst Park when Ruel Fox made his debut was shite.

Selhurst Park, despite being the place I saw the best goal I've ever seen scored "in the flesh", is possibly my least favourite ground ever.

Horrible air of plasticity and desperation about the place, and it was a cunt to get to, even when i was living in London at the time.

I totally agree about the location...and I assume you're referring to Dalian Atkinsons umbrella goal?Quality goal that one.

another one,

Hull away, pre-season 2007 (I think?!  Maybe 2006).  Tuesday night 7.45 game.  Drove down, so was sober, lost 1-0, the kids played.  Complete waste of time, money and effort

this, and it was 2007 just after the floods they had, and Stoke this season was awful, especially as i live there.

Guest jeffers09

sheffield united last season  drank about 4 special k's before kick off next thing i know i wake up in sheffield hospital about 3am with no money and my train tickets are out of date.

Ended up speaking to some hobo  in the hospital  and some other bloke who claimed to be joe calzaghe's trainer.

spent the journey home in the toilets

sheffield united last season  drank about 4 special k's before kick off next thing i know i wake up in sheffield hospital about 3am with no money and my train tickets are out of date.

Ended up speaking to some hobo  in the hospital  and some other bloke who claimed to be joe calzaghe's trainer.

spent the journey home in the toilets

That sounds like a story you need to expand on!

Wigan was just an all round shit experience.  Shit ground, shit fans, and we played the worst 90 mins of football I have ever seen.  If it wasn't for the copious amounts of Stella I had before the game and laughing at the fat bloke downing pints with his top off 'cos it was his Bday whilst everyone chanted at him at HT, I would have been slitting my wrists (it was the game when the fans went for Fat Freddy in his 4x4 afterwards!)

Honorable mentions go to:

Anfield: Arsehole fans, ground stinks of sewage, Liverpool is a proper shithole.

SoS:  Unbelievably toxic atmosphere mixed with me being in the home end = fearing for my life!

CoMS: Game where Souness got sacked.  I could have played better than any of our players!  Away fans fighting each other because we were so pissed off.  Also, I was stood next to the "Souness Out" bedsheet, so you can see me on the Sky Premier Years programme whenever it's on!

Wigan was just an all round s*** experience.  s*** ground, s*** fans, and we played the worst 90 mins of football I have ever seen.  If it wasn't for the copious amounts of Stella I had before the game and laughing at the fat bloke downing pints with his top off 'cos it was his Bday whilst everyone chanted at him at HT, I would have been slitting my wrists (it was the game when the fans went for Fat Freddy in his 4x4 afterwards!)

Honorable mentions go to:

Anfield: Arsehole fans, ground stinks of sewage, Liverpool is a proper shithole.

SoS:  Unbelievably toxic atmosphere mixed with me being in the home end = fearing for my life!

CoMS: Game where Souness got sacked.  I could have played better than any of our players!  Away fans fighting each other because we were so p*ssed off.  Also, I was stood next to the "Souness Out" bedsheet, so you can see me on the Sky Premier Years programme whenever it's on!

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/566398511fw.jpg/

Or...

http://www.norcimo.com/diary/images/SounessOut.jpg