Huxley vs. Orwell

LucaAltieri

Guest Haris Vuckic

Orwell predicted a never ending war falsely perpetuated by governments, centred around a fictional enemy whom directly opposed the values of the people. So  that's basically your war on ''terror''. He also predicted that all factions of lower society would be incredibly closely monitored via camera or microphone etc etc, which as the UK has the highest density of CCTV cameras in the world it would be hard to disagree with.

Also you could probably say Orwell was right about the way information if delivered , i.e the latest NHS cuts were hid behind a wonderful Royal Wedding that lost our economy money but you see a prince kissing a princess on the front page not a deprived Nanna in a hospital bed.

Either way I don't think either Huxley or Orwell were 'right' but you have to say it's an unfair competition from the off because neither of them were trying to be!

Huxely's assertion that we would kill ourselves with pleasure is also bollocks because if i recall correctly nobody in BNW actually does any work at all!

I think they're both right. But obviously Huxley has the theory that's easier to relate with as it's more obvious.

That's what I was thinking as I went through the panels, there are shades of both going on pretty much all the time.

No, you have a right to an opinion and nobody can tell you you don't :)

I think they're both right. But obviously Huxley has the theory that's easier to relate with as it's more obvious.

Clearly most of our opinions these days are given to us. Factory farmed if you like. And that inc most of mine as well.

Since when was only one of them allowed to be right? It's pretty obvious that they both were and both books should be required reading for every school kid in the country. However, 1984 is definitely my favoured novel and has clearly stood the test of time much better than Brave New World.

Since when was only one of them allowed to be right? It's pretty obvious that they both were and both books should be required reading for every school kid in the country. However, 1984 is definitely my favoured novel and has clearly stood the test of time much better than Brave New World.

Yeah I agree.

I like Huxley's idea that if we ever improved the human race with Eugenics, we'd have to sabatoge some of the foetuses to create the idiots to do all the dirty work.

They're working on it.

It's been years since I've read either but I always thought so much of Huxley's dark vision was based on the notion of forced genetic breeding of social class (alpha/beta/delta/gamma/epsilon).  People being bred into banal existence from which they couldn't even conceive of escaping, and in a cruel joke some were genetically made to both hate and enjoy some things ... was it the Gammas who loved the idea of vacations but hated driving and scenery?

So much of the control (again as I remember, it's been a while) exterted would have been so much more difficult or impossible without eugenics.  I think Orwell better understood the machinations of societal control from the outside.

I wonder how wrong Orwell was about controlling through pain when you have billions being pumped into the research of "non-lethal restraint" and "crowd dispersion"? Example

Silent, long range, capable of hitting a mass of "protesters" at a time and make them feel like they're on fire.  No long term effects known. 

FWIW I think they're both really "right" in some respects, but the methods of control Orwell used are closer to reality.

"The Metropolitan police has bought Geotime, a security programme used by the US military, which shows an individual's movements and communications with other people on a three-dimensional graphic. It can be used to collate information gathered from social networking sites, satellite navigation equipment, mobile phones, financial transactions and IP network logs."

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,76236.0.html

The details of millions of British airline passengers will be stored for up to five years under EU plans to tackle terrorism.

Information including names, addresses, credit card details and travel partners will be collated.

The database will store what a passenger ate, where they sat and whether they were flying on to another destination.

The same data could be handed over to any other EU country in which the plane lands. That would include British tourists on package tours to Spain or travellers going to parts of Eastern Europe.

The proposal will be enforced despite the Tories coming to power on a promise to row back the surveillance state.

The new policy, once approved, means immigration and police authorities will be handed a variety of additional data including a passenger’s phone number and how they paid for their ticket, such as credit card details and billing addresses.

The information can also be shared with other countries if it helps solve or prevent a crime or terrorist attack.

But critics attacked the Government for signing up to a diktat that could see details of Britons handed around Europe without proper parliamentary scrutiny.

Damian Green, the immigration minister, told the Commons yesterday that Britain would opt in to the EU directive on passenger name records. Bill Cash, the Tory chairman of the Commons European scrutiny committee, said: “There is certain concern about opting in on the hoof because these important negotiations are still going on. We will keep them closely under scrutiny.”

Britain currently collects the data on a passenger’s passport, such as name, date of birth, country of birth and gender.

Under the new EU wide power, airlines will be forced to hand over all the other information they collect — at least 19 extra pieces of data.