F.I.F.A Power,Corruption and Lies (allegedly)

biggs

I think after the recent World cup draw farce and the aftermath now coming to light from Lord Triesmans allegations this subject needs a proper discussion .

Uefa is urging its members to endorse Blatter in the latest voting for Fifas presidency while CONCACAF has Jack Warner has stayed unopposed as president .

We as football supporters are fed up with the way our game is being ran but nothing is changing with Platini in line for 2015 when Blatter stands down and very little has been said by him as he is so far up Blatters backside for anyone to here him . The World cup draws were a farce as we all know and it was an ideal opportunity for the Yanks to oppose Warner but nowt happened so that makes me think the bad guys have a total grip on the game and the future is gloomy with what i believe false promises .

Your thoughts please .

Well i will keep it going as no one else has any interest in the future of our game  :tickedoff:

With FIFA embroiled in a World Cup bribery scandal, the presidential election campaign intensified as challenger Mohammed bin Hammam accused Sepp Blatter of allowing the governing body's image to be "sullied beyond compare."

Blatter, meanwhile, picked up a key endorsement from a regional bloc in his bid for re-election on June 1.

English claims that six members of FIFA's executive committee were involved in corruption during the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests have thrown Blatter's bid to control the campaign agenda into disarray.

Since the accusations were made in the British parliament on Tuesday, FIFA demanded to see evidence to back up the claims against a quarter of the 24-man group that runs world football.

Bin Hammam, a 61-year-old Qatari who heads the Asian confederation, responded to the ethics crisis Thursday by criticizing Blatter on his blog.

"I firmly believe FIFA, as a decision-making body and as an organisation, is not corrupt," he wrote. "However, under the current status quo it is impossible to deny that the governing body's reputation has been sullied beyond compare and it is time for that to change."

Bin Hammam added that "something urgently needs to be done to improve and enhance the image of FIFA" in light of the accusations.

Bin Hammam was instrumental in delivering the 2022 World Cup to Qatar and has dismissed suggestions that there was any wrongdoing in connection with the bid. The British Parliament was told that two FIFA executives allegedly were paid $1.5 ($NZ1.91) million to vote for Qatar.

"Much wonderful work is done by FIFA and to label the entire organisation corrupt would be to tarnish the efforts of all those who operate tirelessly to bring all that is positively associated with our sport to people all over the globe," Bin Hammam wrote.

He also criticized Blatter for spending FIFA's money "arbitrarily" by donating "��20 ($NZ36.04) million to Interpol to tackle match-fixing and betting fraud, without consulting the executive committee.

"It is just another example of the current regime choosing to run football how it sees fit, rather than doing so in a manner that is consistent with the governing body's proper procedures," he wrote.

"Imagine FIFA financing Interpol's activities!"

Though FIFA's administration has stayed neutral in the campaign, it issued a statement clarifying how the Interpol money was approved.

It said FIFA needed to make "an immediate reaction" to match-fixing problems, and finance committee chairman Julio Grondona of Argentina "was consulted with regards to this payment."

Ad Feedback

Bin Hammam is a member of the six-man finance panel led by Grondona, who is among several South American football leaders publicly backing Blatter for re-election.

Blatter, who has promised to resolve the crisis before the election, won the backing Thursday of Oceania's 11 football nations.

Oceania Football Confederation President David Chung said Blatter's leadership had been a positive force in the region.

"All members agreed that the current FIFA administration has had a significant impact on the development and popularity of football across the Pacific," Chung said in a statement.

Blatter, who's been FIFA president since 1998, has also been publicly supported by leaders of European authority UEFA.

The 75-year-old Swiss, who seeks a fourth and final four-year term, will travel this weekend to the Palestinian territory and Israel, accompanied by Prince Ali of Jordan. On June 1, the prince will become Asia's FIFA vice president, senior in rank to bin Hammam.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke wrote Wednesday to England's Football Association asking for a complete report plus "all documentary evidence" from David Triesman, the former leader of England's 2018 bid. The FA confirmed it was sending the dossier to FIFA.

Triesman told British lawmakers that four long-standing FIFA officials - Jack Warner, Nicolas Leoz, Ricardo Teixeira and Worawi Makudi - engaged in "improper and unethical" conduct in the 2018 bidding, which was won by Russia.

Lawmakers were also told in a submission from The Sunday Times newspaper that Qatar paid $1.5 million to two more FIFA officials, Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma, for the 2022 contest. Qatar beat the United States in the final round.

Anouma is the latest of the six to deny the allegations, describing them as "false and malicious" in a statement released Thursday by the Confederation of African Football.

Hayatou, Benitez, Warner and Teixeira have also strongly rejected the claims. The Qatar football federation has denied paying Hayatou, from Cameroon, and Ivory Coast's Anouma, calling the allegations "wholly unreliable."

Frank Lowy, the chairman of Football Federation Australia, said the allegations meant his country's bid for the 2022 hosting rights was doomed from the start.

"I could have stood on my head for 24 months and we still couldn't have got it," he said.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think people have stopped caring, and most of them had vent their feelings after the World Cup bids. Been so many claims and calls against Blatter's FIFA that there must be something in it.

Sepp Blatter being the biggest c*** in the world is never going to do anything for the organization other than make it look even more bent than they actually are :lol:http://wwefan.biz/forum//images/smilies/blatterangry650499.jpg

Guest BooBoo

I've not noticed this thread before, but its a story I'm keeping a close eye on.

FIFA is an absolute disgrace really. To have a third of its Executive Committee accused of corruption, renders this forthcoming election completely inappropriate. Of course they will pay lip service to demands for an inquiry by having it investigated by their own in-house anti-corruption team who will unearth no evidence of unethical behaviour. World Soccer have had some excellent investigative pieces on this over the last few months and highlighted how for example Qatar chucked money around to such a degree that they were buying votes for the World Cup 2022. Our bid was doomed to fail from the start as despite having big hitters like Prince William and David Cameron on board, we simply didnt line the pockets of other voting countriees.Blatter too, has been globetrotting opening football academies (that the egotistical prick often names after himself) in 3rd world countries, all paid for by FIFA. England is one of only four countries that has had no FIFA hand outs in the last four years.

Blatter at 75 is running for yet another term where he'll be 80 by the time he steps down. During this time he will no doubt handsomely reward the countries who re-elect him whilst him and the ExCo memberes take huge salaries and travel round the world with first class flights and 5 star hotels. FIFA is supposed to be governing football and improving the game. Unfortunately I think this takes huge second place to making a small group of very rich men, all the more wealthy.

It stinks and top marks for the Sunday Times and Triesman for lifting the lid on this.

I think after the recent World cup draw farce and the aftermath now coming to light from Lord Triesmans allegations this subject needs a proper discussion .

Uefa is urging its members to endorse Blatter in the latest voting for Fifas presidency while CONCACAF has Jack Warner has stayed unopposed as president .

We as football supporters are fed up with the way our game is being ran but nothing is changing with Platini in line for 2015 when Blatter stands down and very little has been said by him as he is so far up Blatters backside for anyone to here him . The World cup draws were a farce as we all know and it was an ideal opportunity for the Yanks to oppose Warner but nowt happened so that makes me think the bad guys have a total grip on the game and the future is gloomy with what i believe false promises .

Your thoughts please .

Racist.

Guest Mantis

If a collective stand isn't made against FIFA by the England, Spain, Germany, Italy, then it shows there is a large acceptance of this vile corrupt organisation.  They believe they are untouchable.  I am expecting them announcing their own state, Vatican City style, and hiding the truth for a hundred years.  The big nations have enough power to breakaway, but the old boy network is alive and well worldwide and so long as Executive members are getting rich from their own FA's nowt  will change.

If a collective stand isn't made against FIFA by the England, Spain, Germany, Italy, then it shows there is a large acceptance of this vile corrupt organisation.  They believe they are untouchable.  I am expecting them announcing their own state, Vatican City style, and hiding the truth for a hundred years.  The big nations have enough power to breakaway, but the old boy network is alive and well worldwide and so long as Executive members are getting rich from their own FA's nowt  will change.

Genuine question. If the big nations (England, Spain, Germany, Italy ect) did break away from FIFA as you say, would that prevent them from playing in the World Cup?

Their demand for evidence is pure humbug. They know that Triesman isn't going to be able to produce a letter or a piece of video. No-one solicits bribes openly like that.

Expecting FIFA to reform itself is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. I suspect the only way of producing change would be for UEFA to break away, set up their own organisation, and then invite the rest to join.

Their demand for evidence is pure humbug. They know that Triesman isn't going to be able to produce a letter or a piece of video. No-one solicits bribes openly like that.

Expecting FIFA to reform itself is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. I suspect the only way of producing change would be for UEFA to break away, set up their own organisation, and then invite the rest to join.

Exactly this.

Guest Mantis

Genuine question. If the big nations (England, Spain, Germany, Italy ect) did break away from FIFA as you say, would that prevent them from playing in the World Cup?

Yes. But so be it. Any new organisation is likely to have nations queueing up to be part of a tournament with the 4 above as they probably are the most commercially lucrative.  Similar with Champs league.  When  Man U play, 100's of millions tune in Worldwide. How many bother switching on to watch Spartak Moscow or Qatar play a game?

If a collective stand isn't made against FIFA by the England, Spain, Germany, Italy, then it shows there is a large acceptance of this vile corrupt organisation.  They believe they are untouchable.  I am expecting them announcing their own state, Vatican City style, and hiding the truth for a hundred years.  The big nations have enough power to breakaway, but the old boy network is alive and well worldwide and so long as Executive members are getting rich from their own FA's nowt  will change.

Yes. But so be it. Any new organisation is likely to have nations queueing up to be part of a tournament with the 4 above as they probably are the most commercially lucrative.  Similar with Champs league.  When  Man U play, 100's of millions tune in Worldwide. How many bother switching on to watch Spartak Moscow or Qatar play a game?

It'll never happen then. It should. It needs to. But it wont

Guest Mantis

Uefa, you must be kidding? Platini is Uefa

Guest Mantis

Yes. But so be it. Any new organisation is likely to have nations queueing up to be part of a tournament with the 4 above as they probably are the most commercially lucrative.  Similar with Champs league.  When  Man U play, 100's of millions tune in Worldwide. How many bother switching on to watch Spartak Moscow or Qatar play a game?

It'll never happen then. It should. It needs to. But it wont

Correct, so the madness continues.  Dont bother bidding for the WC is the answer unless we are just going to skip the wining and dining and just hand over £50m in brown envelopes.

Guest BooBoo

Platini is being groomed to take over the FIFA reigns after the next Blatter/ Bin Hammam term. Little chance of that French ponce rocking the FIFA boat as he doesn't want to risk his career prospects.

Your thoughts please .

Racist.

:icon_rr:

I can honestly see no way out of this unless the major big hitters say enough is enough and break away from this crock of shit and force reform and it only seem to be the English speaking out about it .

Source: BBC

Current president Sepp Blatter says Fifa will be plunged into "a black hole" if rival Mohamed Bin Hammam wins next month's leadership election.

Swiss Blatter is bidding for a fourth term at the helm, with Qatar football chief Bin Hammam standing in his way.

And with the days ticking down to the 1 June vote, Blatter said: "The ballot could lead to a seismic shift with irreversible damage.

"Quite simply, the survival of Fifa is at stake."

He added: "It is a question of whether the game's established world governing body will continue to exist after this date or whether it will disappear into a black hole.

"'Is it that dramatic?' you may ask. The answer is, theoretically, yes, it is."

Blatter is favourite to survive the challenge of Bin Hammam and has the support of European governing body Uefa's executive committee - a potentially decisive factor in the outcome of the vote for one of the most powerful positions in world sport.

And while confident he will retain his position, 75-year-old Blatter warned of what he believes the consequences are of a vote for Bin Hammam.

"What is actually at stake?" asked Blatter, who has been dealing with fresh claims this week about four Fifa executive committee members allegedly asking for favours in return for votes in last year's decision on hosting the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

"The Fifa presidential election is not about candidate A or candidate B, it is about whether there will be any candidates at all in future.

"I am confident that I will win the election with a clear two-thirds majority. South America, Central and North America, Europe, Oceania and a significant part of Africa and Asia will continue to support my ideas.

"Nevertheless, it is worthwhile outlining what the alternative would be, i.e. none at all.

"What applies for every carpenter also applies for us: the roof will only hold as long as the foundations are in place.

"If the ground beneath crumbles, the entire edifice will collapse. And that is precisely what is at stake on 1 June. All or nothing!"

Bin Hammam, meanwhile, this week insisted football's world governing body is not corrupt.

Earlier this week Lord Triesman, who ran England's failed 2018 World Cup bid, made allegations against several high-ranking Fifa officials.

But 62-year-old Bin Hammam said: "I will happily and unreservedly restate that I firmly believe Fifa, as a decision-making body and as an organisation, isn't corrupt."

However, Bin Hammam did say that Fifa needs a "new atmosphere" to dispel negative publicity surrounding the organisation.

"It is impossible to deny that its reputation has been sullied beyond compare," admitted Bin Hammam. "It's time for that to change."

Triesman levelled corruption allegations against a number of senior Fifa officials who were involved in the voting process for the next two World Cups.

Bin Hammam said that under the leadership of Blatter, Fifa had been "choosing to run football how it sees fit, rather than doing so in a manner that is consistent with the governing body's proper procedures".

That had made it "hard to get the public to believe in the organisation".

He added: "There needs to be an opportunity for new ideas to take hold and for the organisation to take a new direction."

Damian Collins, the MP who revealed the latest World Cup bribery scandal, said the Football Association should offer to abandon its historic Fifa privileges in return for reform of the world governing body.

Collins used Parliamentary privilege on Tuesday to allege that Fifa executive members Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma had been paid $1.5m (£900,000) to vote for Qatar's successful bid to host the 2022 World Cup.

The FA and the governing bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the only individual national associations on the International Football Association Board, the game's law-making body.

Each of the UK associations has a vote and Fifa has four votes.

This situation has long caused resentment among some figures in world football and Collins said the FA could take the lead on reform by offering to give them up.

Collins, MP for Folkestone and Hythe, said: "The FA should be at the vanguard of pushing for the reform of Fifa. We should be leading the call for change and should be prepared to ruffle a few feathers.

"We should be prepared to give concessions in order to achieve reform and be prepared to consider giving up the historic privileges."

Collins said the reforms should include the World Cup bidding process, that there should be strict rules governing contact between bidding nations and Fifa ExCo members, and that Fifa should consider restaging the 2022 vote if the allegations against Qatar are proved.

Bin Hammam, who did much to secure the 2022 World Cup for his country, has denied any bribes were paid.

"I can assure you nothing like this has happened from our side," he insisted.

"If someone wants to damage reputations like this then they have to provide the proof. You can't just accuse people just like that. It didn't happen."

The 2018 farce was bad enough, but fifa could have skirted around it, awarding 2022 to Qatar was the icing on the corruption cake. If anyone was in any doubt that the whole thing was bent, that swung it. And how!

Fifa is a joke and the whole corruption thing needs blown open, fair play to Triesman. It has been suggested that England should withdraw from future world cup, and people have laughed the idea down. I'd actually support it.

The 2018 farce was bad enough, but fifa could have skirted around it, awarding 2022 to Qatar was the icing on the corruption cake. If anyone was in any doubt that the whole thing was bent, that swung it. And how!

Fifa is a joke and the whole corruption thing needs blown open, fair play to Triesman. It has been suggested that England should withdraw from future world cup, and people have laughed the idea down. I'd actually support it.

We need massive backing from all countries to get this going but they are all spineless or happy the way things are ,U.S.A ,Germany,Italy and the other big hitters (not including Fance cos of Platini and Russia for obvious reasons) to boycott this farce but probably will not happen .

RobHarrisUK Rob Harris

ALERT: English FA to abstain from backing either Blatter or bin Hammam in FIFA presidential vote

FA chairman Bernstein: "range of issues ... which, in the view of the FA board, make it difficult to support either candidate."