British woman decapitated in Tenerife supermarket

GM

British woman decapitated by stranger in Spanish supermarket

Facebook | Twitter | Email | Instapaper

Agence France-Presse

Friday, May 13, 2011

Click for a full size-version Andrew Barr/National Post

MADRID — A man with a knife decapitated a British woman in a supermarket on the Spanish resort island of Tenerife on Friday and fled with her head, police said.

The man, allegedly 28-year-old Bulgarian Deyan Valentinov, launched his knife attack on the victim in a Chinese supermarket.

“The attack culminated with the decapitation of the victim,” Canary Islands police said in a statement. “The attacker left the establishment with the head in his hand and then threw it to the pavement.”

The victim was a 60-year-old British woman shopping in the supermarket in the tourist spot of Los Cristianos beach in Arona on the southern side of Tenerife, part of the Canary Islands, police said.

She had no relation to the attacker, they said.

David, a young Italian who was riding his bike near the incident, told local news website [external] canariasaldia.com that he threw his helmet at the man’s head, and as the man fell to the ground, others jumped on him and held him down until the police came and arrested him.

“A man came running up with something full of blood in his hand and a private security guard behind him, and he threw it on the ground and it almost hit me,” a witness named only as Bernardo told Cadena Ser radio.

“What he had in his hand was a head.”

The attacker shouted out: “God is on Earth,” according to local news site CanariasalDia.com, quoting Arona’s mayor, Jose Alberto Gonzalez Reveron. He lived in a “semi-abandoned” house, the mayor said.

Canary Islands political representative Dominica Fernandez was quoted by the news site as saying that the alleged killer was disturbed and had chosen his victim at random.

The man, who had a previous record for causing bodily injury, struck at 10:30 am local time in the supermarket, which forms part of the Valdes Centre shopping center of Arona, police said.

Other news reports said the man had been in a psychiatric hospital for breaking a man’s teeth and had only been released in February but this could not immediately be confirmed.

In London, a Foreign Office official said it had been informed of the attack. “We are aware of reports of the death of a British national in Tenerife and are urgently investigating,” she said.

Tenerife is home to around one million residents and one of Spain’s most popular tourist destinations.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/13/british-woman-decapitated-by-stranger-in-spanish-supermarket&s=Opinion

Jesus Christ, people...what a bunch of total fucking morons you are, turning this into a "Giggs has scored" shitfest. You're taking this forum downhill.

Seriously, just fuck off.

Jesus Christ, people...what a bunch of total fucking morons you are, turning this into a "Giggs has scored" shitfest. You're taking this forum downhill.

stop ya cRYAN man.

stop ya cRYAN man.

Fuck off.

I agree. It's about as witty as the opening post of this thread.

I agree. It's about as witty as the opening post of this thread.

How about rather than making barbed comments, you just come right out and tell me what you really mean by that?

???

Saw this on my phone last night. When it said "UK women killed in random attack" as the headline I was in for a slight shock when I read on and it was due to some nutter cutting off her head in a supermarket.