Casey Anthony Trial.

Guest Chubby Jason

Guest Chubby Jason

You can watch it live on youtube now. http://www.youtube.com/user/weshtv?feature=lb#p/l/57zNlLapskk

She is accused of murdering her daughter as I understand, they are currently vetting potential jurors to see if they are "death qualified" & capable of approving the death penalty if there is a guilty verdict, which is a pretty disgraceful process in my opinion. It's very interesting to watch though and the trial begins next week.

If you're interested in that kind of thing...

Have the jury been nominated by the state, ie at random like they are here? This bloke on now seems to just be giving the 'right' answers each time, so what's the point of this process?

Guest Chubby Jason

No it's random as far as I know, chosen from the electoral roll. They have brought in 100s of them and vetted them down to these. They're still vetting them now the death penalty seemingly seeing if they can order the death penalty more than anything. I don't think this is a typical capital trial as she actually has competent defence in this case.

The trial should be interesting these preliminary proceedings are pretty dry but it's distracting me from my studies so job done.  :thup:

From a quick scan of the case (google) it seems the general opinion is that she's guilty. How the hell does it take you a month to report your daughter missing?  :sadnod:

Another daft question: is being 'indicted' the same as being 'charged with'? If so, how can they keep her in jail for going on three years before the trial starts?

Guest Chubby Jason

I'd imagine they have the equivalent of remand over there where a defendant can be detained before going to trail as they may abscond or are a danger to the public.

Guest Chubby Jason

It happens quite often, remand is a big problem in women's prisons such as Style where they have a huge problem with suicide/attempted suicides on their remand wing for people that have not gone to trail yet.

I'm not sure why this took three years though, sometimes remand conditions in jails are preferable to regular wings so if she is guilty she could well have done 3 easy years.

Guest Chubby Jason

Listening to them all try to get out of jury duty earlier in the week was pretty funny. These have all been vetted at least once already.

Guest Chubby Jason

youtube commentators brain trust:

"scottishkwijibo-i would smash her back doors in"

You been following it over there, is the general consensus that she's  guilty?

think thats what the trial is about?

is it live tonight- they were still interviewing jurors today? pretty fascinating stuff tbh.

Guest Chubby Jason

is it live tonight- they were still interviewing jurors today? pretty fascinating stuff tbh.

I meant general public consensus.

Here in Orlando she is definitely considered guilty.  The jurors that they are interviewing now are actually not in Central Florida but an "undisclosed" location somewhere in Florida.  They will choose the 12 and then sequester them in Orlando for the duration of the trial.

There's actually a joke I've seen a bunch of times around here and it goes something like this:

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Casey Anthony

Casey Anthony who?

Good, You're on the jury.

Overall though I think she's toast as far as the public is concerned.  My take on it though is that there will not be enough evidence to convict her.  Everything is very very circumstantial and has no ties to her.  Stuff like, oh yeah the family computer had searches on Google for home made chloroform, but how can they prove it was her that typed it?  It will definitely be an interesting trial and probably studied for many many years after it's conclusion.

I meant general public consensus.

i knew that. was just arsing around man.