Newcastle United 2010-11: a season review

The Prophet

Overall reflections:

A very good season really and I would have taken 17th from the start. Despite some poor home defeats against teams we should perhaps do better against, we've done very well away from home at times by picking up wins against Everton and Arsenal etc. I'm very pleased that not only have we stayed up but we have played some decent football and looked comfortably a mid-table team overall. If we spend well in the summer we could be back to battling for a Europa league place next season. I thought it would take a few years to get there, perhaps we won't be up there next season but I doubt we will be struggling towards the bottom either.

High Moment

Quite a few really, I loved the Ben Arfa smash against Everton. The 6 - 0 hammering of Aston Villa was a great day, so was the 5 - 1 over Sunderland... but I have to give to the Tiote volley against Arsenal in the 4 - 4 comeback. What a game, what a goal. Never expected to see that kind of fight from us.

Low Moment

Hughton sacking hit me hard so going to say that. Carroll sale was upsetting and so was Ben Arfra's injury. I thought all three of these could lead to us being relegated, but Hughton sacking felt the worst.

Best Player

One of the great things about this season is that for so many of our players you could argue they deserve a shout. Nolan for his leadership and goals. Barton for his brilliance on the right hand side, crossing and set pieces. Coloccini for his very clever defending and his availability for so many games. Enrique for his great support in going forward and his hard and fast defending at the back. Tiote for his awesome athleticism, battling and passing in midfield. Coloccini edges it for me.

Best Individual Performance

I just can't pick one. Too many damn good performances from Colo, Barton, Enrique, Tiote or Nolan - they are all strong candidates in certain games. Even Ben Arfa had a cracking game against Everton.

Best Buy

Tiote. End of.

Most Improved

Danny Simpson has done well as I wasn't sure he was going to handle the Premiership as well as has. Andy Carroll is clearly the best improved before he left. Leon Best has done well to shake off his haters and is now looking like our best striker.

Overall reflections

In typical Newcastle fashion, this season has been another rollercoaster of emotions. We've picked up some fantastic results along the way, especially when taking into account the state of our squad post-January. The fact we've avoided relegation has to be regarded as a massive achievement. There's a fantastic nucleus to build a team around (Colo, Enrique, Ben Arfa, Barton and Tiote) , however the key is going to be if we can hold onto this nucleus, and bring in the right quality of player that can walk straight into the first team.

High Moment

It has to be either the 5-1 against Sunderland, especially when you consider how arrogant the Sunderland fans were, at both the start of the season and before the actual game itself. Then there's the Arsenal game as well, I really don't know if I've ever seen pandemonium like it when Tiote volleyed home our equaliser.

A special mention has to go to the Aston Villa game as well, as that result showed we weren't just here to make up the numbers.

Low Moment

This is quite self explanatory really - Hughton being sacked and Carroll being sold.

Best Player

We've had a few candidates for this, Tiote, Barton, Enrique and Nolan. However due to his consistency and the way he's turned things round I'd go for Coloccini.

Ben Arfa against Everton, he was simply outstanding, and gave us all something to be genuinely excited about.

Best Buy

Ben Arfa could well be, but due to the fee involved and his impact on the pitch, it has to be Tiote. It just goes to show the difference of having somebody playing that role to such a high standard, actually makes. Compared to the last few season when we've had Smith and Butt there. He's made a monumental difference to how the side plays.

Most Improved

I know a lot of people will go for somebody like Simpson, however I'm still not overly convinced by him. Best deserves a nomination as well.

I'd pick Barton though, he's now playing to the level we all know he could. So it's certainly an improvement on previous season where he's struggled massively for both form and fitness. We now need a striker who can bring out the best in him, and one Barton can bring the best out of.

Guest BooBoo

Overall reflections

The usual carcophony of madness. Started with a collection of either very good or very bad performances. We didnt seem to do bog standard wins or losses, everything all seemed pretty extreme. From looking like world beaters in putting against Villa, Arsenal and the mackems to the sword, to the abject shockers of Bolton, WBA and Blackburn. Sacking Hughton seemed very harsh and initially bringing in Pardew seemed like a joke. However, he's settled down and despite having Carroll sold has got some good results with a very limited squad. League wise, we've exceded expectations and have turned in some very promising performances and that team spirit is still there in abundance. Huge summer ahead and it'll really only be this time, next season when we'll be able to judge the Pardy man. Cup's were pretty short lived this season despite the great game at Chelsea. The cowardly showing at Stevenage was particularly poor and we're really due a good run in one of them next season.

High Moment

All the obvious ones have been mentioned. I'll give a nod though to the Liverpool game at home. I think everyone was tuning in to see the latest NUFC comedy show with us dumping our manager for Pardew and receiving a tonking on live tv. However, we really dug in and got a great result. Liverpool were no great shakes pre Dalglish, but it's always great getting one over those tossers. Carroll was awesome that night and I was buzzing after the win that we had such a player. Leading us to...

Low Moment

Selling Carroll, genuinley the worst NUFC sale in my 25 years supporting the club. Absolutely gutted. On the pitch, the shocking performance at WBA had me worried that a terribly hard relegation battle was in store. None of our players were at the races that day and it seemingly made Ashley'd mind up that Hughton had to go.

Best Player

Colo, nigh on been an ever present and looked a class act.

Ben Arfa at Everton. Glided across the pitch with the ball stuck to his foot. I remember after the game back in a pub in Liverpool and everyone was just raving about how good he'd looked.

Best Buy

Tiote- when he plays well, we usually win. Top player.

Most Improved

Leon Best. From championship no-hoper to a decent looking striker at this level who chipped in with some very important goals.

My 2p's worth

Overall reflections

Kudos to this group of lads they've done it again. Massively over-exceded mine and most others expectations. Even with the change in manager (which I didn't agree with, nor was I overawed with the replacement) they've carried on and done their jobs like true professionals. Every time the fans have clamoured for a performance the players have got it. So much to build on for next season, let hope we do so and don't rest on our laurels.

High Moment

5-1, 5 fucking 1 man. It just doesn't get better than that but seriously there have been loads. The stuffing of Villa, the ridiculousness of the Arsenal game and Tiotes goal. The going to Chelsea twice and putting up good shows despite having half a team out. Hatem Ben Arfa's wondergoal (lets hope its not the only one). Been great.

Low Moment

This is quite self explanatory really - Hughton being sacked and Carroll being sold.

We had a few dismal performances too but thats to be expected as a newly promoted team and the important thing was we've always bounced back after one more or less, Stevenage being the pick of those.

Best Player

Could name about 5 different players (Tiote, Enrique, Coloccini, Nolan, Barton - arguably 6 if you include Carroll for the 1st half of the season or Jonas for the 2nd) which is unbelievable, how many other clubs could say that? Not many I bet. Tiote for me, we're such a better team with him in and for his first season in a country where it's not his first language, brilliant.

Tough one. A lot of people have gone for Ben Arfa against Everton and rightly so but I thought Tiote was every bit as good as him that day considering it was also his debut so I'll not go for that. Probably Carroll versus Villa, absolutely unplayable and took his goals brilliantly and got our season off to a flyer. Honourable mention for Nolan v mackems and Jose at Blackburn.

Best Buy

As per Tooj - it has to be Tiote. It just goes to show the difference of having somebody playing that role to such a high standard, actually makes. Compared to the last few season when we've had Smith and Butt there. He's made a monumental difference to how the side plays.

Most Improved

Andy Carroll, =6th top scorer in the Championship to 7th most expensive player in the history of football. Absolutely bonkers. From those still here I'll discount Barton as he had the ability all along we're just finally getting to see it, of others mentioned I don't think Simpson has improved too much and Best I'm still not sold on. Probably plump for Williamson, came in as a more or less unknown and has looked every bit an alright Premiership centre half this season.

Player ratings:

Harper: 7 Competent season from Stevie. Had some injury problems but i think his games out will be better for the club in the long term with Krul getting some experience. Only has another season or two of being premier league quality imo but if we are looking to improve we have to invest more game time and experience in Krul and Forster

Krul : 7 I have to admit i'm slightly disappointed by some of the mistakes he has made and that he hasn't cemented a first 11 spot when he has huge chances to do so. Some great performances like Arsenal away in amongst an up and down season.

Forster: 8 Couldn't ask more from a loaned out player. Broken the clean sheet record and gotten plenty of playing time. Not the best league and team to be playing GK for but it is still a toss up between him and Krul for the future #1 Gk gloves

Danny Simpson: 7.5 Don't think he has too much improvement left in him but has performed to the point where he is undoubtedly first choice, which he wasn't at the start of the season, and a competent PL right back.

James Perch: 3 An absolute calamity in the first five games of the season at right back and whenever i've seen him fill in at left back. Brought in as a fullback to me he has looked better every time i have seen him in the centre of the pitch. Not good enough for the PL, even for a utility player, would prefer youth start ahead of him.

Ryan Taylor: 5.5 Struggles with a big injury but before that he was quite good in our Carling Cup games scoring two goals. Player ok in the centre against Chelsea, though his set pieces were poor.

Mike Williamson: 7 Done well, has looked slow footed in a few games and isn't dominant in the air despite his height and frame. Works hard and hasn't had made too many mistakes despite his lack of experience at the top level.

Steven Taylor: 6 Probably got a little complacent in his recovery from injury and was overweight coming into it. Looks alot better now perhaps due to being put on the bench by Pardew. Still abit of a dumb ass but if he has a smart Cb like Colo alongside him it negates it somewhat.

Fabrizio Coloccini: 8.5 Top season from the Argentine, performed like the player we were expecting when we signed him. Still iffy on high balls and not really that suited to the English game he has been able to adapt and has been our best defender this season.

Sol Campbell: 4.5 Not going to criticise the signing as it was a smart one in theory but he is definitely passed it now at this level and hasn't looked fit all season. Some comical moments that cost us dearly. I think i remember one game where he looked like his old self, but it's time to hang up the boots or play at a lower level.

Jose Enrique: 8 Strong season from Jose though did look the leaving rumours did get to him abit. Link up play with Jonas was fantastic as always. Defensively I can't think of a better LB in the prem. Pity that we are losing a player that is good enough for a team playing in Europe, were we hope to be.

Shane Ferguson: 7.5 Promising signs from the youngster, though he does need to hit the gym this summer. hasn't looked out of place at all when he has featured, but shouldn't be first choice next season at all.

Tamas Kadar: He is getting a bit old to be a player with potential. Really like him, but he has struggled with injuries yet again. Next season is make it or break it for Tamas.

Joey Barton: 7.5 Apart from Blackburn has kept up his side of the bargain off the field which is huge for the club. On the pitch he has done well playing out of position ( I think he is best on the right of a midfield 3) and created alot of Carroll's goals. Has taken control of a few games this season which has been a joy to watch.

Wayne Routlege: 5.5 Was mediocre and didn't take the step up very well. Has done really well at QPR and I wish him the best with them next season. Getting rid of him in Jan was a bit mistake imo as we lacked depth and speed.

Kevin Nolan: 7 I am abit of a hater and cringed when he was made captain as I knew it meant he would be starting alot of games for us. Despite that he has been deadly inside the box from set plays this season and his goals, however jammy they were, have been huge in keeping us up. As a captain he has done so well in garnering a good team spirit despite s*** man management from above. If we are aiming for Europe I maintain my position that he isn't good enough to start as alot of games do pass him by in midfield due to very poor physical attributes and he such a waste when he tries shooting from outside the box.

Cheik Tiote: 8.5 What a legend! Just been so important for us. Runs all day and such a strong player in midfield. Would hate to think how we would have gone if Smith was our starting CDM. Great on the ball, if he can reduce his fouling and yellow cards he will be such an amazing player.

Alan Smith: 5.5 Not as disastrous as I and most others feared when he did play but it's clear he doesn't have the legs to be an affective CDM. Still commits silly fouls outside the box, but is a good bloke and I think he is a good character to have in the dressing room. Hope we have seen the last of him though.

Danny Guthrie: 5.5 Yet to prove he can hack it in the Premier League. Some shockers like away to WBA, but performed well in the appearances he made while Tiote was out injured in the last few months. Don't have a problem with him staying at the club though I would prefer Gosling be given a chance to impress ahead of Guthrie.

Dan Gosling: Write off of a season due to injury which hopefully will not plague him into the future.

Jonas Gutierrez:  6.5 Cops alot of undeserved flack on this forum. So important as he is the only midfielder we have that can run at players with the ball and stayed fit all season. Delivery improved slightly in my view and performed better as the season went on, especially in the last 2 months. I have a sneaking suspicion we have seen the last of him.

HBA: I don't think he is the player some expect him to be but he was a joy to watch for the few games he did play. If he lives up to the hype it will be faptastic.

Vuckic: Really thought he would see more from him but like Kadar just been injury prone all season.

Kazenga Lua Lua: 7.5 Really good loan spell away to Brighton and has looked ok when playing for the Toon this season.

Xisco: 5 Set up a goal in his nly first team performance this season (I think) but got red carded and lost any momentum he might have had. Has scored a few on his loan move away to Spain which will hopefully be enough to end this nightmare.

Shola Ameobi: 6 The guy is a legend but just not good enough for PL football anymore. Playing him is just holding back players like Ranger. Size and strength is an asset and can't knock his commitment to the team.

Peter Lovenkrands: 5 Just such a weak player. Has some speed and a decent left foot but runs like a headless chicken 9 games out of 10. Time to go and make way for better players.

Shefki Kuqi: 6 Brought in as a stopgap and has ran like a mad man whenever i've seen him play.

Leon Best: 7 earned himself another season at the club and will probably be first backup to our first choice strikers next season

Andy Carroll: 8 Our best performer first half of the season but threw it all away for Liverpool... :(

I was all ready to slate these 'ratings' but when reading your comments you've actually hit the nail on the head with most of them :thup: a very decent read on this board, nice work :)

Yorkie - would you agree?

Tough one. A lot of people have gone for Ben Arfa against Everton and rightly so but I thought Tiote was every bit as good as him that day considering it was also his debut

Tiote's performance in that game was the best I'd seen anyone play for us in years. Unluckily for him Ben Arfa got the headlines.

Overall reflections

Looking at what I wanted us to achieve back in August, pretty much all expectations have been met or exceeded. We've avoided the relegation battle, moved in the right direction in terms of evolving the midfield and generated a lot of optmism for next season, which is obviously needed to make SJP a fortress once more. Yet again, the squad has been severely compromised by a horrible January transfer window, and we're about to arrive at a crossroad as a result. Replacing Hughton looks a very good decision. Just hope we can get some magic in the squad, because the spine has revealed itself to be stronger than most.

High Moment

A fair few actually. Probably the Villa game. Felt like we were a PL team again, and it was nice. It was lovely, truly lovely.

Low Moment

The sale of Carroll and the gutless defeat to Fulham a couple of days later. Kicked the TV when the final whistle went. Haven't been that angry since the last time we lost 1-0 to those West London c***s.

Best Player

Comes down to Coloccini or Tiote. Colo just edges it for me. Quite simply the best CB i've seen at the club, and no reason he can get even better as his understanding of the Engish game improves even further.

Ben Arfa against Everton, Coloccini against Arsenal (a) or Tiote in the same game. Special mention to Nolan for the key goals against Scum.

Best Buy

Has to be Tiote. It's lovely having a player with rough edges who can dominate a game, mainly because we've had the exact opposite type of players in CM in recent years. He's the player we've needed for close to a decade, and it's absolutely imperative that we keep him.

Most Improved

Andy Carroll or Leon Best. I'd have said both were Championship strikers before August but both have stepped it up. Carroll's improvement in the most staggering i've ever seen in football tbh. Best looked sharp in pre-season, and carried that into into the PL after his injury.

In slightly different order...

High Moment

Tiote's equaliser versus Arsenal - The unpredictability, the noise, the strike, the belief, the determination, the courage, the come stains on my trousers as I fell to my knees, the happiest moment of my life thus far!

Low Moment

Sacking Hughton. I will never ever forget the way he was treated here and the way he rose above it all like a true professional. He created a mentality that has lived under Pardew's reign. Fair play to Pardew he's done a great job, but Hughton put the United back in Newcastle.

Best Player

I could name any of about 7 here, as we all could but for me it has to go to Kevin Nolan. His antics on the pitch tend to go unnoticed in large spells but what he is, is one of the greatest captains I have seen in my lifetime at Newcastle United. Lead by example, led by his voice, scored important goals and 4 against the mackems in one season.

Barton vs Arsenal at home. His tackles pre and post half-time ultimately swung that game in our favour, then to score not once from the penalty spot but twice was great leadership.

Best Buy

Tiote. Need I say anymore? He has made one 'major' mistake all year and that was against Blackburn at home, which cost us a goal. Even at the time I said "That's his first major mistake all season."

Most Improved

Barton, I hated him after the relegation season, thought he was his typical arrogant, scummy self. Nevertheless, I now love the bloke. What a transformation, not only on the pitch but off it also. He has been an example to follow for troublesome youngsters such as Ranger and Carrol, and an example to follow for anyone who wants to play in a Black and White top.

Overall reflections

Saved this to last to put my emotional spin on things...

Does it not simply sum up our history, and our club?

We may not have a full trophy cabinet, we may not have a trophy cabinet, but we have something that no other club has and that's a team who, no matter what they face, will never ever say die. You can take the 2nd best footballing side in the world, and you can stick it up your arse, Tiote says so. You can go into local derbies thinking "I'd take a draw out of this, we're newly promoted", and piss it up a wall. You can say to Aston Villa, "You're not laughing any more!", simply because WE ARE NEWCASTLE AND WE WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!!

Roll on Sunday and roll on next season! Level 4 wont know what's hit it!

:indi: :indi: :indi:

Overall reflections

Looking at what I wanted us to achieve back in August, pretty much all expectations have been met or exceeded. We've avoided the relegation battle, moved in the right direction in terms of evolving the midfield and generated a lot of optmism for next season, which is obviously needed to make SJP a fortress once more. Yet again, the squad has been severely compromised by a horrible January transfer window, and we're about to arrive at a crossroad as a result. Replacing Hughton looks a very good decision. Just hope we can get some magic in the squad, because the spine has revealed itself to be stronger than most.

High Moment

A fair few actually. Probably the Villa game. Felt like we were a PL team again, and it was nice. It was lovely, truly lovely.

Low Moment

The sale of Carroll and the gutless defeat to Fulham a couple of days later. Kicked the TV when the final whistle went. Haven't been that angry since the last time we lost 1-0 to those West London c***s.

Best Player

Comes down to Coloccini or Tiote. Colo just edges it for me. Quite simply the best CB i've seen at the club, and no reason he can get even better as his understanding of the Engish game improves even further.

Ben Arfa against Everton, Coloccini against Arsenal (a) or Tiote in the same game. Special mention to Nolan for the key goals against Scum.

Best Buy

Has to be Tiote. It's lovely having a player with rough edges who can dominate a game, mainly because we've had the exact opposite type of players in CM in recent years. He's the player we've needed for close to a decade, and it's absolutely imperative that we keep him.

Most Improved

Andy Carroll or Leon Best. I'd have said both were Championship strikers before August but both have stepped it up. Carroll's improvement in the most staggering i've ever seen in football tbh. Best looked sharp in pre-season, and carried that into into the PL after his injury.

Agreed for once. You fatty.

In slightly different order...

Low Moment

Sacking Hughton. I will never ever forget the way he was treated here and the way he rose above it all like a true professional. He created a mentality that has lived under Pardew's reign. Fair play to Pardew he's done a great job, but Hughton put the United back in Newcastle.

Very well put Heza lad. :thup: Spot on.

Agree with Ronaldo on everything. FML. :lol: But to expand:

Overall reflections

Brilliant season, imo, when taken as a whole. We're a decent mid-table team which, with a few key additions, could cause problems for a lot of sides next season. Also, we've showed real character throughout the season and delivered the goods at crucial moments: to punch through the debacle of January and look up, not down, is a testament to our mental fortitude and the genuine PL quality in the side. Let's not fuck it up now.

High Moment

Villa. THIS. IS. NEWCASTLE. :lol: I always expected us to hump the mackems, tbh. And, of course, Arsenal was a 90 minute summary of the madness of this club. Plus, realising that Alan Smith was never going to get a game. Brilliant.

Low Moment

The transfer window, closely followed by the Hughton sacking. The fact we didn't strengthen--didn't have time to strengthen--gave me the fear: having to rely on the likes of Shola, Loven etc. to get us the goals to keep us in the league. It was a gamble, tbh, and Mike's proven he's a shit punter. I still don't understand the Hughton sacking other than Mike Ashley is a bellend. Other disappointments: Stephen Ireland, Routledge and Sol Campbell.

Best Player

Coloccini. Absolutely won me over since his debut season. Did really well last year in the Championship and has been a rock this season and actually seems to be improving. There is some argument as to whether he or Woodgate is our best PL-era centre-half but one thing in Colo's favour is the fact he rarely misses a game which is a huge asset.

Tiote at Arsenal. Fucking brilliant. Perfect combination of strength, finesse and passion.

Best Buy

Tiote, obviously. Best buy for ages and ages.

Most Improved

Carroll, probably, although Best has been a revelation in his own way.

Overall reflections

Looking above everything, like the sacking of Hughton, the sale of Carroll, initially the appointment of Pardew, the poor January transfer window, the no-shows (Bolton/West Brom/Stoke etc.), it all comes down to the fact that I wanted us to survive and we did. That makes this season a success.

We're starting to look like a more organised team and SJP is looking like a fortress again. The atmosphere in recent weeks has been class as well. If we can push on from here, it's all looking good.

High Moment

Has to be the Arsenal 4-4. It was the season's turning point, the defining moment.

We put in such an abject first half performance, and it was all looking very concerning. Morale was down, unrest in the stands, quality lacking on the pitch and relegation was staring us in the face. And then BAM. We came back in an incredible fashion.

The spirit, the passion, the effort and the quality we showed in that 45 minutes was unlike anything I've seen from a Newcastle side in years.

Seeing that Tiote strike fly into the bottom corner - it was all in slow motion. And the feeling was unlike anything I've felt before. It wasn't delight, it wasn't relief. It was pure and utter pride, and it is a moment that I doubt I'll ever experience again. Moment of the season.

Low Moment

The moment the Carroll transfer request was leaked. Only moments before, it felt like we'd beaten off the other clubs and he was ours, he was staying. And then suddenly it was all turned on its head. Felt like a kick in the balls, especially after that interview pre-Chelsea months before.

Best Player

Colo. All the way.

Been an absolutely superb player this season. Honourable mentions to Tiote, Enrique and Barton too.

Rather than going for the usual, I'll say Joey Barton vs Arsenal. He was the goalscorer, the playmaker, the motivator and the architect. Honestly don't think we'd have done it without him.

Best Buy

Tiote. Tiote. Tiote. No question about it. Will be our star for many years to come.

Most Improved

Barton. Couldn't stand him at the start of the season. A thug and a waste of space.

Boy how he's turned it around. When he's on-form, he's absolutely superb and he's been the difference many times this season. Really turned it around :thup:

High Moment

It wasn't delight, it wasn't relief. It was pure and utter pride, and it is a moment that I doubt I'll ever experience again.

:smitten:

Have the same feeling.  I had never experienced joy that like really.  Don't think I will either.  The fact that it came from a 30 yard volley makes it all that much better.

High Moment

It wasn't delight, it wasn't relief. It was pure and utter pride, and it is a moment that I doubt I'll ever experience again.

:smitten:

Have the same feeling.  I had never experienced joy that like really.  Don't think I will either.  The fact that it came from a 30 yard volley makes it all that much better.

It was like something out of a Disney film. Go on Walt, base you're shit on something that REALLY happened... :iamatwat: :iamatwat:

Overall reflections

I don't think I could be more proud of the team, continually triumphing over adversity and shutting up all the pricks that would have loved to have seen us fail. It may be a mid-table finish, but it represents massive progress which can be built on and I can't remember a season that has given me this many great memories in a long while. We've also shown that the Premier League is much richer for having Newcastle United in it.

High Moment

The 4-4, 4-0 down a week after the Carroll sale and feeling that we'd cocked it up all over again, then we bring it back in the most spectacular fashion, when the Tiote goal went in I fell in love with Newcastle United all over again. Our own way of sticking two fingers up to the world, from that point on really there was never any chance of us going down.

Low Moment

The Carroll sale, I was angry at the Hughton sacking, but that seems to have worked out, but this I was near tears. Couldn't believe we'd sold arguably our best player to the one team I've been raised to despise for as long as I can remember.

Best Player

Coloccini, absolute rock the entire season, reads the game exceptionally well, positioning and communication is top class and he really seems to love the club.

Ben Arfa v Everton - One of the best performances by one player I've ever seen, absolutely murdered them all day long. He was just simply in a different league to everyone on the pitch that day with maybe the exception of Tiote.

Best Buy

Tiote, the player we've lacked for years. He's been absolutely immense.

Most Improved

Could say Barton here, but we've also known of the talent he possesses, Best gets an honourable mention too but has to be Simpson, the transition he's made from below average Championship RB to solid PL right back has been amazing.

All in all, absolutely fantastic. I love you Newcastle United.

Simpson's transition has been amazing?

He's contributed less than zero going forward and has done OK defensively.

Agreed again. This is getting ridiculous. But you're spot on. Simpson is still very very average in my opinion.

He's held his own generally from what I've seen. However when looking how to get at Newcastle, with Enrique on one side it's pretty obvious which side I'm going to mainly attack and at times he's looked shaky.