"Alcatraz" - New TV Series From J.J. Abrams and Elizabeth Sarnoff

Kaizero

Because we all know it would've gotten its own thread eventually. :fwap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J_jAlFqvASU

From executive producer J.J. Abrams (FRINGE, “Lost,” “Star Trek” and the upcoming “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” and “Super 8”) and writer and executive producer Elizabeth Sarnoff (“Lost,” “Deadwood”) comes ALCATRAZ, the chilling new thriller centered on America’s most infamous prison and one-time home to the nation’s most notorious murderers, rapists, kidnappers, thieves and arsonists. When San Francisco Police Department DET. REBECCA MADSEN (Sarah Jones, “Sons of Anarchy”) is assigned to a grisly homicide case, a fingerprint leads her to a shocking suspect: JACK SYLVANE (guest star Jeffrey Pierce, “The Nine”), a former Alcatraz inmate who died decades ago. Given her family history – both her grandfather and surrogate uncle, RAY ARCHER (Robert Forster, “Jackie Brown”), were guards at the prison – Madsen’s interest is immediately piqued, and once the enigmatic, knows-everything-but-tells-nothing government agent EMERSON HAUSER (Sam Neill, “Jurassic Park”) tries to impede her investigation, she’s doggedly committed. Madsen turns to Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast, DR. DIEGO “DOC” SOTO (Jorge Garcia, “Lost”), to piece together the inexplicable sequence of events.

The twosome discovers that Sylvane is not only alive, but he’s loose on the streets of San Francisco, leaving bodies in his wake. And strangely, he hasn’t aged a day since he was in Alcatraz, when the prison was ruled by the iron-fisted WARDEN EDWIN JAMES (Jonny Coyne, “Undercovers”) and the merciless ASSOCIATE WARDEN E.B. TILLER (Jason Butler Harner, “The Changeling”). Madsen and Soto reluctantly team with Agent Hauser and his technician, LUCY BANERJEE (Parminder Nagra, “ER”), to stop Sylvane’s vengeful killing spree. By delving into Alcatraz history, government cover-ups and Rebecca’s own heritage, the team will ultimately discover that Sylvane is only a small part of a much larger, more sinister present-day threat. For while he may be the first, it quickly becomes clear that Sylvane won’t be the last prisoner to reappear from Alcatraz. Through the course of the investigation, Madsen and Soto will learn that Agent Hauser has known about the prison’s secret history and has been awaiting the prisoners’ return. Soto will witness his life’s work – the history of Alcatraz – come alive. Madsen will be forced to keep her supportive San Francisco cop fiancé, JIMMY DICKENS (Santiago Cabrera, “Heroes”), at arm’s length from the highly classified assignment as she sees everything she thought she knew about her family’s past shattered, all while fighting to keep the country safe from history’s most dangerous criminals.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ergh, this is so typical JJ Abrams. So no doubt it'll start slowly, giving no answers, pick up in the 2nd/3rd season, then lose all steam and become a real effort in determination to see it through to the end - see 'Lost' 'Alias' (but hopefully not 'Fringe').

His fondness for rehiring actors he likes is another issue I have as it doesn't really give his new shows a unique feeling. I'm sure I'll end up watching it regardless of my moaning.

Ergh, this is so typical JJ Abrams. So no doubt it'll start slowly, giving no answers, pick up in the 2nd/3rd season, then lose all steam and become a real effort in determination to see it through to the end - see 'Lost' 'Alias' (but hopefully not 'Fringe').

With the exception of Alias, Abrams doesn't write the shows - he has very little influence on the plot beyond the pilot episodes, normally. Lost was written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, Alias by Drew Goddard and Jeff Pinkner (although Abrams was involved until season three - a rarity), and Fringe by Pinkner and J.H Whyman. Likewise, Alcatraz will be written by Liz Sarnoff and A.N. Other.

I don't think your description is indicative of his shows anyway but that's a much longer conversation.

His fondness for rehiring actors he likes is another issue I have as it doesn't really give his new shows a unique feeling. I'm sure I'll end up watching it regardless of my moaning.

Just to pick up on this as well... How often has he actually done this? A few background actors in his shows have ended up with bigger roles on his other shows (Terry O'Quinn etc), but until now (Jorge Garcia) I can't think of an example of him using one of the main actors from one his shows in another one (unlike Joss Whedon, for example).

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

With the exception of Alias, Abrams doesn't write the shows - he has very little influence on the plot beyond the pilot episodes, normally. Lost was written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, Alias by Drew Goddard and Jeff Pinkner (although Abrams was involved until season three - a rarity), and Fringe by Pinkner and J.H Whyman. Likewise, Alcatraz will be written by Liz Sarnoff and A.N. Other.

I don't think your description is indicative of his shows anyway but that's a much longer conversation.

Perhaps not, but he sets the theme and overall premise, which is generally the same 'unknown supernatural conspiracy'

Just to pick up on this as well... How often has he actually done this? A few background actors in his shows have ended up with bigger roles on his other shows (Terry O'Quinn etc), but until now (Jorge Garcia) I can't think of an example of him using one of the main actors from one his shows in another one (unlike Joss Whedon, for example).

Just a personal pet hate to be honest. Like having the guy from Alias appear as the Pilot in Lost, and then other little cameos. Its great for the fanboys, but I don't really like it.

Perhaps not, but he sets the theme and overall premise, which is generally the same 'unknown supernatural conspiracy'

Well yeah, the broad, basic outline of three of the shows Bad Robot have produced are vaguely similar... Although it's pretty obvious that Alias, Lost and Fringe are incredibly different to one another in terms of style and story.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Similar but different, and seem to trend the same way as I mentioned above! I know you like them Andy, and I've watched them all too, so I'm not just going out to troll anyone here. Just hope this show doesn't follow the trend, as I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with it for 5 years of slow burning, that ultimately ends with a rushed final season that doesn't answer anything at all.

Fringe hasn't gone that way so far - in fact its entire mythology has been almost completely tied together in a neat little bow as of the end of the most recent season, with the exception of the one hook for next season... Alias didn't answer much, but the showrunners were limited in what they could do since the network banned them from making references to Rambaldi in the final season (as they felt the mythology elements were causing the ratings to dip)... As for Lost, a lot was inferred without being spelled out. Many things were left open-ended, but that was always the nature of that particular show.

I think Alcatraz will be more in line with Fringe.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Still not satisfied with Lost's ending to be honest. Was disappointed the 'Official' thread had been closed and classic'd, as I was thinking about watching them from the start again and posting my thoughts (hoping others would join in). 'It was about the characters' is such a cop out for me, I only watched it for the mythology and island teases.  :lol:

Hopefully this has a clear path to follow, that doesn't divert when people work it out early on (as I think happened with Lost). Just stick to your guns and keep the show decent. Hopefully its only 12-13 episodes a season, so we can avoid the very generic, and often pointless, 'filler' episodes that plague American TV series.

Still not satisfied with Lost's ending to be honest. Was disappointed the 'Official' thread had been closed and classic'd, as I was thinking about watching them from the start again and posting my thoughts (hoping others would join in). 'It was about the characters' is such a cop out for me, I only watched it for the mythology and island teases.  :lol:

To be fair, they said the show was about the characters from the beginning (watch "The Genesis of Lost" on the season one DVD). Personally I was always far more interested in Locke, Ben, Desmond and Jack than the mysteries of the island, which were more of a fun diversion. Many of the things that people wanted explaining simply COULDN'T be explained in a satisfying way. For instance, I've read people complaining that the writers didn't explain how a wheel in a wall was able to move the island through time - how the hell could anyone explain that man? :lol: The show required a leap of the imagination and came with the expectation that with those kind of things, you just took the characters at their word when they said "look mate, it's a magic island; crazy, inexplicable shit gonna go down".

I'll re-open the thread btw. :thup:

It premieres Mid-Season, so December or January. Most likely January.

What!?!

December!

Fuck it then.

Fringe always goes off air in December... ;)

Next season will be the last for Fringe anyway, since me, you and indi are basically the only people on Earth who realise how good it has become and actually watch it.