Will we be playing 4-3-3 next season?

Nepharite

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

4-2-3-1 is the way to go, like.

Zoggy - BenArfa - Jonas will be positively wanktastic. Honestly, we have to sign him.

is that putting barton alongside tiote  or dropping him ?

Alongside. That means dropping Nolan, but its a squad game now so he'll get plenty of action. Pardew is after a winger so thats admitting that either Jonas is leaving or Barton will be shifted inside.

i'd be very wary putting barton in the middle and think that is where gosling will be in the longer term, nowt spectacular, does the basics well etc.

Barton would do very well in a deep midfield two along side Tiote. Especially with some quality ahead of him, Zoggy, Ben Arfa, Jonas etc.

Love the 4-3-3 as sketched above but it depends on the front striker. Gameiro's a longshot - he's got Spain on the brain.

i honestly think sturridge could do it in an andy cole type way.

Quite possibly. He's a handful, but I'm not sure how good he is with his back to goal. I've only really seen him moving forward with the ball.

If he doesn't really have any 'target man' qualities, it would be like we were committing ourselves completely to an Arsenal / Barca style, which verges on a 4-6-0. Every attacking player, including the full backs, would need to be comfortable with the ball and we're some way away from that.

Guest Flatline

Hargreaves released on free transfer.... sign him on a pay-as-you play contract? Hes only 30

Gameiro

Dzsudzsak Ben Arfa Menez

Tiote Hargreaves  :pedro:

M`benque                  Simpson

Coloccini Taylor

Forster

Hmmmm....

Krul

Simpson  Saylor Colo M'Bengue

Tiote

Barton            Adam

HBA                            Menez

Sturridge

Guest pleno1

Forster

:fishing:

X            Collocini        Ridgewell                Enrique

Barton          Tiote          Craig Gardner

Nzogbia                                                    Ben Arfa           

Add quality striker               

Then lots of players to have/play with/put in etc

Krul

Nolan

Saylor

Jonas

Jamie O'Hara

Sebastian Larsson

Danny Simpson

Stephen Ireland

Shane Ferguson

Shola

Lua Lua

Vuckic

Kadar

Williamson

Forster

X             Collocini        Ridgewell                Enrique

Barton          Tiote          Craig Gardner

Nzogbia                                                    Ben Arfa           

Add quality striker               

Krul

Nolan

Saylor

Jonas

Jamie O'Hara

Sebastian Larsson

Danny Simpson

Stephen Ireland

Shane Ferguson

Shola

Lua Lua

Vuckic

Kadar

Williamson

:dowie:

If we do I'd hope we'll play Ben Arfa on the right, don't like the idea of him on the left at all.

4-3-3/4-5-1 would suit me just fine, it's massively important though that we add a quality center forward though no matter what we go with.

Forster

X             Collocini       Ridgewell               Enrique

Barton          Tiote          Craig Gardner

Nzogbia                                                    Ben Arfa            

Add quality striker                

Krul

Nolan

Saylor

Jonas

Jamie O'Hara

Sebastian Larsson

Danny Simpson

Stephen Ireland

Shane Ferguson

Shola

Lua Lua

Vuckic

Kadar

Williamson

:dowie:

:lol:

Was thinking the exact same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else who thinks we'll be seeing a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 (Spurs-ish) type thing alongside this potential 4-3-3/4-5-1? I think Pardew will be looking for us to be flexible, depending on the circumstances.

The assumption is based purely on the players we've been going for and Pardew's previous comments about Ben Arfa playing as the link man between midfield and attack, for example I could see us adopting this at home more often, while going for slightly more security away from home by dropping Jonas, pushing Hatem wider and bringing in another central midfielder for extra protection:

Cabaye - Tiote

N'Zogbia/Gervinho - Ben Arfa - Jonas

Ba/Gameiro

Player names included are just based on the most recent links, out of those four we actually have mentioned I'd think Jonas would be the most surprising regular inclusion.

I don't think it's decided yet, though, and will depend largely on who we actually end up with. Ideally for the 4-2-3-1 you'd be looking to bring in Zog AND Gervinho (or two similar) to have a goal threat on either side of the striker at all times.

Was going to start a new thread about this, hilariously entitled "Pardy Planning - 4-2-3-1?", but remembered spotting this one a while back. Naturally still had to shoehorn that in somewhere.

I see Jonas playing away from home because of his defensive contribution. At home he should be nowhere near if we bring an N'Zogbia in.

Aye. As I said in the post, if you're playing that system you really don't want to be relying on him as a regular as he isn't capable of contributing enough from such an advanced role.

I just think he'll be phased out altogether, really, as you're not going to rotate players of the quality of Zog/Ben Arfa out for him for away matches if you have too much intention of winning them. Stick and extra central midfielder in there and play on the counter.

Decent sub for certain situations, undoubtedly, but he'll probably still end up playing loads due to injuries regardless.

Buy two good strikers and I'd want to see line up 4-4-2 at home like, 4-3-3/4-5-1 away from home.

Ba can play wide in a 4-3-3. Hoffenheim did it when they first came up with Ebisevic, Obasi and Ba. Was very successful.

Buy two good strikers and I'd want to see line up 4-4-2 at home like, 4-3-3/4-5-1 away from home.

Ba can play wide in a 4-3-3. Hoffenheim did it when they first came up with Ebisevic, Obasi and Ba. Was very successful.

Aye, i alluded to it last night, one of the main pro's of getting him in IMO. Would be good if it was the same players we could use for both systems too. Continuity and all that.

I see Jonas playing away from home because of his defensive contribution. At home he should be nowhere near if we bring an N'Zogbia in.

Aye. As I said in the post, if you're playing that system you really don't want to be relying on him as a regular as he isn't capable of contributing enough from such an advanced role.

I just think he'll be phased out altogether, really, as you're not going to rotate players of the quality of Zog/Ben Arfa out for him for away matches if you have too much intention of winning them. Stick and extra central midfielder in there and play on the counter.

Decent sub for certain situations, undoubtedly, but he'll probably still end up playing loads due to injuries regardless.

Play Cabaye, Tiote and Nolan in the center with Ben Arfa and Zog on the wings at home and then move Ben Arfa into the centre for Nolan and put Jonas out wide away from home. Having great pace and mobility away from home is vitally important for us.

Due to injuries though the team will no doubt pick itself all season anyway.

Play Cabaye, Tiote and Nolan in the center with Ben Arfa and Zog on the wings at home and then move Ben Arfa into the centre for Nolan and put Jonas out wide away from home. Having great pace and mobility away from home is vitally important for us.

Due to injuries though the team will no doubt pick itself all season anyway.

ACN will contribute to easy selection too, no doubt.