Udinese

stozo

Qualified for the Champions League tonight. Two very interesting articles below on their business model. It really is quite incredible how many good players they have discovered especially considering the prices they have got them for. Is this the kind of model we should be pursuing given that we re not likely to be able to compete financially with Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Liverpool & company? Discuss.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/05/udinese-selling-their-way-to-top.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/gabriele_marcotti/02/03/udinese.2/index.html

"Discuss."  :lol:

Saw a bit of them since getting ESPN, always kept an eye out for them due to them having a fair few game-related cult heroes in their squad from years gone by (Di Natale, Sanchez, Kwadwo, Zapata, Isla, Basta, Inler) . Very happy they've qualified for the CL.

In terms of their "model", I think it's always the ambition for teams in their situation - and ours - to be able to do that. Even further down the ladder in this country there are teams whose lifeblood is uncovering young talent and moulding them, before selling them off at a huge profit. Obviously that's on a far smaller scale than Udinese have done (and with a far smaller catchment area). It's nothing new, but rarely does it pay such dividends, which is why their story is such a good one. A lot of teams do it without any real ambition, other than to survive financially. The only thing now is that more and more teams are gaining the resources and the contacts to be able to conduct business in this way, so it's only going to get harder. They've been well-served by being so ahead of their time, more than anything. As far as NUFC goes, we're late onto the bandwagon, but fortunately we're already a very attractive proposition to these types of players given the history of the club, competition, size of the stadium/support, etc.

Question is for Udinese, will that change now that they've actually got to the Champions' League? Can't see them keeping a hold of Sanchez, for example, given the money that's being talked about as far as he's concerned. When does the transition from operating like they have been to operating like a "big club" occur?

Question is for Udinese, will that change now that they've actually got to the Champions' League? Can't see them keeping a hold of Sanchez, for example, given the money that's being talked about as far as he's concerned. When does the transition from operating like they have been to operating like a "big club" occur?

They're a very small club though, in terms of fanbase and history. No where near the kind of potential here, so I doubt they'd ever be able to make that transition while here it would be possible.

They're a very small club though, in terms of fanbase and history. No where near the kind of potential here, so I doubt they'd ever be able to make that transition while here it would be possible.

Not even with the financial boosts provided by current CL football? Say they qualify again next season having sold Sanchez for a great deal, for example. Granted it would be reckless to do so on the back of one qualification, although the gamble could pay off if they brought in adequate replacements.

But surely with continued qualification their turnover begins to far outstrip their outgoings, they find it easier to retain their current good players by being a club playing in the top competition and by being able to pay better wages. Also, without having to rely on selling players and then spending less than 50% of that income on new ones?

Guest Heneage

Saw a bit of them since getting ESPN, always kept an eye out for them due to them having a fair few game-related cult heroes in their squad from years gone by (Di Natale, Sanchez, Kwadwo, Zapata, Isla, Basta, Inler) . Very happy they've qualified for the CL.

In terms of their "model", I think it's always the ambition for teams in their situation - and ours - to be able to do that. Even further down the ladder in this country there are teams whose lifeblood is uncovering young talent and moulding them, before selling them off at a huge profit. Obviously that's on a far smaller scale than Udinese have done (and with a far smaller catchment area). It's nothing new, but rarely does it pay such dividends, which is why their story is such a good one. A lot of teams do it without any real ambition, other than to survive financially. The only thing now is that more and more teams are gaining the resources and the contacts to be able to conduct business in this way, so it's only going to get harder. They've been well-served by being so ahead of their time, more than anything. As far as NUFC goes, we're late onto the bandwagon, but fortunately we're already a very attractive proposition to these types of players given the history of the club, competition, size of the stadium/support, etc.

Short answer is no they won't.

They are a bit like Porto they will always look to finance success with player sales. Their fanbase is relatively small and they've been doing this for a few years now buying a handful of youngsters and looking to mould them into top players. After all Muntari and Gyan were there for a time.

Obviously Porto have broken from tradition with the recent big contract for Hulk but don't rule out him or Falcao leaving should they get the right money. I think the contract was a smokescreen just to guarantee they get the best fee they can for him. I'd also say that the owners at Udinese will think if it isn't broke why fix it? They are showing success from this so continue on doing it. If they use  the €25+ from Sanchez to buy a few prospects and some players a level above what they were signing previously then that is suitable safe growth.

Plus they finished the season before this 15th it's a massive jump and you have to think is it just one good season or are we legitimate contenders. Obviously Champions League may increase the attendances, at the minute it's about half full (the stadium is a restricted one in terms of it is allowed to hold 10k under official capacity) and from there they get just over 15-16k which I would argue is one of the lowest figures of all those in the CL group stage.

You might not think it but this is all good news for us really as it shows that you can achieve success from moulding players instead of buying others success.

:thup:

It seems a shame to me like, but I'll always be one of the opinion "make hay while the sun shines" and I am an impatient fucker. If it was us I'd want to see us attempting to push things on more than you suggest they will. However, hopefully if they do as you say and keep on growing step-by-step they'll maintain some sort of success. There are plans in place for a new stadium at some point, aren't there? I remember reading that a good few months back. That story made it seem to me like they were looking to push on, but I'm not aware of the current status of it.

They are a bit like Porto they will always look to finance success with player sales. Their fanbase is relatively small and they've been doing this for a few years now buying a handful of youngsters and looking to mould them into top players. After all Muntari and Gyan were there for a time.

Obviously Porto have broken from tradition with the recent big contract for Hulk but don't rule out him or Falcao leaving should they get the right money. I think the contract was a smokescreen just to guarantee they get the best fee they can for him. I'd also say that the owners at Udinese will think if it isn't broke why fix it? They are showing success from this so continue on doing it. If they use  the €25+ from Sanchez to buy a few prospects and some players a level above what they were signing previously then that is suitable safe growth.

Plus they finished the season before this 15th it's a massive jump and you have to think is it just one good season or are we legitimate contenders. Obviously Champions League may increase the attendances, at the minute it's about half full (the stadium is a restricted one in terms of it is allowed to hold 10k under official capacity) and from there they get just over 15-16k which I would argue is one of the lowest figures of all those in the CL group stage.

You might not think it but this is all good news for us really as it shows that you can achieve success from moulding players instead of buying others success.

It seems a shame to me like, but I'll always be one of the opinion "make hay while the sun shines" and I am an impatient fucker. If it was us I'd want to see us attempting to push things on more than you suggest they will. However, hopefully if they do as you say and keep on growing step-by-step they'll maintain some sort of success. There are plans in place for a new stadium at some point, aren't there? I remember reading that a good few months back. That story made it seem to me like they were looking to push on, but I'm not aware of the current status of it.

Guest Heneage

Obviously Porto have broken from tradition with the recent big contract for Hulk but don't rule out him or Falcao leaving should they get the right money. I think the contract was a smokescreen just to guarantee they get the best fee they can for him. I'd also say that the owners at Udinese will think if it isn't broke why fix it? They are showing success from this so continue on doing it. If they use  the €25+ from Sanchez to buy a few prospects and some players a level above what they were signing previously then that is suitable safe growth.

It seems a shame to me like, but I'll always be one of the opinion "make hay while the sun shines" and I am an impatient f***er. If it was us I'd want to see us attempting to push things on more than you suggest they will. However, hopefully if they do as you say and keep on growing step-by-step they'll maintain some sort of success. There are plans in place for a new stadium at some point, aren't there? I remember reading that a good few months back. That story made it seem to me like they were looking to push on, but I'm not aware of the current status of it.

Oh I couldn't agree more. However as I believe Sewelly broached the subject that they pull in 15k, we pull in 50k. You really need an infrastructure to support those kind of things. Even Villarreal as good as they've been can't really grow anymore than they have. We've seen us at the very top we've played CL football and challenged Man United so you see we can facilitate top class football.

I mean lets be hypothetical for a moment. Say we were Man City in terms of financial clout and we had player X talking to Arsenal, City, Tottenham, and ourselves. We might not be able to offer CL right now but we could say 'Well we've been there before and we believe we can get there again'.

It's all relative to their history and I think if they stabalized and played in Europe for a few seasons selling investments they might start to use that money to purchase top quality players. Of course that raises issues all of it's own because you take that side and say as good as they were how much is based on unity and team spirt. Those players have developed an understanding and all probably share financial parity knowing that the RB is on the same pay scale as the striker. If you bring in a player who may be earning double or even triple of that RB you can bread envy and contempt.

It's a horrible balancing act and in some ways I don't envy the task of those in charge, but for now I hope they enjoy CL and the European nights that will come their way.

Oh man, I took these to the pinnacle of football on FM09. Sanchez, Inler, Quagliarella, Di Natale, Pepe, Zapata, Felipe, Motta, Laurito, Tissone and D'Agostino.

Wish them the best of luck  :clap:

Guest Heneage

Really? Wow. He's a very good player but he's no better than 30m they want to be very careful if they are trying to haggle.

Really? Wow. He's a very good player but he's no better than 30m they want to be very careful if they are trying to haggle.

In todays market, 35 for Carrol, then Sanchez is worth more.

Guest Heneage

In todays market, 35 for Carrol, then Sanchez is worth more.

Meh you're forgetting Carroll is English and moved within Premier League. Can't see them getting more than 35.