Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Colback was alright second half tbf.  Standard 6/10.

I don't think he'll ever get a higher mark than that to be honest.

I found it hard to rate Colback, he was generally anonymous but then he would make some good interventions at times.

He was good tbf. Kept possession, used the ball well enough. Made some great tackles and interceptions. Haidara and Sammy bombed forward - Colback played narrow and made sure we where defensively strong. Abeid's range of passing means Colback has an easier ride but he was good. 7/10.

Colback doesn't even tackle that much. He's very good at being bypassed in midfield. That's about it.

Colback is never even on the edge of the box, having a shot, or looking to play a final ball when we go forward, and he should have more freedom now Mehdi's doing such a great job holding.

The guy needs to grow a pair and get more involved going forward. He certainly showed he can do better than this at Sunderland, so not sure why he's being such a mong. It's definitely down to Pardew, but he should ignore him.

Colback doesn't even tackle that much. He's very good at being bypassed in midfield. That's about it.

Colback is never even on the edge of the box, having a shot, or looking to play a final ball when we go forward, and he should have more freedom now Mehdi's doing such a great job holding.

The guy needs to grow a pair and get more involved going forward. He certainly showed he can do better than this at Sunderland, so not sure why he's being such a mong. It's definitely down to Pardew, but he should ignore him.

He broke up play, interceptions and good tackles a good few times yesterday tbf. He's unambitious with the passing aye. With Haidara always attacking I think Colback being more conservative worked very well tbh.

Colback has been okay, but he is definitely better than this, particularly going  forward, which is his greater strength. It's got Pardew's grubby paws all over it. He's shackled the guy. He's always pulling him over during breaks in play and giving him instructions too. Just won't leave the poor guy alone.

The thing that is alarming though, is that he is never in position to shoot from the edge of the box, or play a pass through.

Even when Mehdi played that pass into Cabella leading up to the first goal ... I mean, where was Colback? I'd expect him to be in those sort of positions, ahead of Mehdi, who was the deepest midfielder, but Colback doesn't seem to be getting in those positions.

Didnt he miss three sitters in our winless run?  Wallop-over-the-bar-from-3yards type sitters?

I think Colback, Abeid and Sissoko complement each other pretty well, no reason to change it.

I would replace Colback with Tiote when fit, IMO he's a much better player. I'm not really complaining at the moment though, you're right that it's working well.

Vurn should be starting over Colback.... we would be able to keep the ball on the deck more and cycle possession more

The thing that is alarming though, is that he is never in position to shoot from the edge of the box, or play a pass through.

Even when Mehdi played that pass into Cabella leading up to the first goal ... I mean, where was Colback? I'd expect him to be in those sort of positions, ahead of Mehdi, who was the deepest midfielder, but Colback doesn't seem to be getting in those positions.

We'll never play with less than two DMs, even if one of the assigned midfielders is clearly unsuited for that task.

Didnt he miss three sitters in our winless run?  Wallop-over-the-bar-from-3yards type sitters?

It happens to rarely is the point I was trying to make. He goes whole games without getting into these positions.

Abeid likely to start for Algeria today. A bit surprising as he has never played for the NT before, atlhough they are already qualified for the ACNs so I guess the manager wants to try him out.