Yohan Cabaye retires

He has to think also that they can afford any player and there are better centre mids in the world. He might play until the summer but I am assuming he expects to have a France career beyond the World Cup. A move may be good from his point of view but PSG is not the most stable of options. Money wise it's a good move for a 28 year old I'd bet.

I think Cabaye would rather not have a decision to make this month so will be happy if no bids come in. 

Signings in January are often a short-term fix until they can get the big names in the Summer e.g. Chelsea with Ba last year when they were desperate for a striker.

PSG want someone because one of their back-up midfielders is injured. They seem to see Cabaye as a squad player.

Man Utd can't get the players they want in this window so if they do go for Cabaye now after knowing that he was looking for a move last Summer, it will look like a panic signing to see them through the rest of the season.  Cabaye would get more games there but there is a strong possibility, they won't qualify for the Champions League next season and that would further affect their Summer transfer plans.

If a big offer comes in then I am sure Ashley will accept it but I think Cabaye is probably hoping that one doesn't and is happy to wait until the Summer when it will be clearer what situation clubs are in.

I think Cabaye would rather not have a decision to make this month so will be happy if no bids come in. 

Signings in January are often a short-term fix until they can get the big names in the Summer e.g. Chelsea with Ba last year when they were desperate for a striker.

PSG want someone because one of their back-up midfielders is injured. They seem to see Cabaye as a squad player.

Man Utd can't get the players they want in this window so if they do go for Cabaye now after knowing that he was looking for a move last Summer, it will look like a panic signing to see them through the rest of the season.  Cabaye would get more games there but there is a strong possibility, they won't qualify for the Champions League next season and that would further affect their Summer transfer plans.

If a big offer comes in then I am sure Ashley will accept it but I think Cabaye is probably hoping that one doesn't and is happy to wait until the Summer when it will be clearer what situation clubs are in.

pretty much my thinking plus, ultimately Cabaye knows barring injury/suspension he will be playing every week and why risk that with 6 months to a world cup if he takes time to settle in a new club and form dips. He's also likely to be able to get a better deal for himself if he plays well at the world cup and moves after that.

Just a load of blither to try and get him to hand in a transfer request to drop the price or something. There's a point when it's all talk and I think he'd have gone by now. He'll definitely go in summer but he won't want to be on the bench.

Just don't get get the impression he'll be away this month. It's not like the Carroll situation where his value was never going to be higher, with a World Cup 6 months away and he's already in great form there's scope for him to be worth more. If he goes to PSG and plays for a couple of months and loses his place then it's jeopardising his place in the national team

That assumes though that Cabaye values his place in the national team above which club he plays for and the wages he's receiving. I.e. if the choices are:

A) Stay at NUFC, retain place in French squad, play a few games in World Cup 2014, move in summer or afterwards; or

B) Move to PSG for £20m+, get a 5 year contract paying 2-3 times what NUFC are paying, play with some of the best players in the world in the CL in his home country in one of the worlds great cities but with the risk of possibly losing his place in the French squad/team should he become a bench player for them.

You're assuming he's short sighted enough to think 'option A' is the best for him. I'd argue there's alot more going for him with 'option B', especially if he's arrogant/confident enough to believe he can force his way into being the main man in central midfield for them - he'll be thinking he could have a starring role in the remainder of PSG's CL campaign, which would pretty much guarantee his place in the French team. And for £20m+, I highly doubt PSG are just going to bench him within a few games (I think he's highly likely to get in ahead of Matuidi and Verratti). Motta, Matiudi and Verratti have 3 goals between them in a weak league whilst being in by far the best team - Cabaye has 7 in the Premiership in an Alan Pardew mid table side.

Added to which, 'option A' might only be attractive purely to get to 'option B', which would be his ultimate goal (i.e. use NUFC and the World Cup to get that lucrative transfer to an elite CL side). If that's the case, he'd be insane to turn down the opportunity to get there sooner, especially since there's a risk that he's in the middle of a purple patch right now and could well tank in Brazil (assuming he gets there with us), or the entire French team do shit (as is more likely to be the case), meaning the chance to move to an elite CL club might not crop up anytime soon.

One thing we should do as a rule but we won't is refuse to sell any 1sy team regular in the last week of a transfer window.

PSG have pissed around with this for way to long, either make a decent bid early in the transfer window or fuck off!

One thing we should do as a rule but we won't is refuse to sell any 1sy team regular in the last week of a transfer window.

PSG have p*ssed around with this for way to long, either make a decent bid early in the transfer window or f*** off!

Why would we do that? Selling on the last day or so means no time for a replacement (fake bids will placate the majority of fans most likely), which in turn means £25m gets to sit in a Swiss bank somewhere earning interest for 6+ months without Ashley & Co having to account for it (which is good since they'll be siphoning some of it into their own accounts).

PSG have p*ssed around with this for way to long, either make a decent bid early in the transfer window or f*** off!

Why would we do that? Selling on the last day or so means no time for a replacement (fake bids will placate the majority of fans most likely), which in turn means £25m gets to sit in a Swiss bank somewhere earning interest for 6+ months without Ashley & Co having to account for it (which is good since they'll be siphoning some of it into their own accounts).

I did say that we should but won't

Ashley won't even contemplate a replacement either. We're clearly not interested in finishing in a European spot and with our remaining squad we'll still finish top 10 which was the aim for this season.

Finishing 8th or 9th while recouping incoming transfer fees of 30m or so, reducing the wage bill substantially and not buying a soul.

A dream season for Ashley.