Yohan Cabaye retires

The crux of the matter is still this, our billionaire owner is more interested in putting a few million quid more into his own  back pocket than he is in showing any ambition for the cluband its fans by trying to win a trophy for himself and for the fans of the club as the lily livered capitulation against a sh*t Cardiff team  in the cup showed.

In fact the fat git don't even wanna finish in a European place because it might make him actually have to spend a tiny fraction of his vast fortune .

f***  the greedy fat c*nt Mike Ashley, is he somehow  under the impression that he can take all of this money "with him".

And whilst we are at it, f*ck Alan Pardew ànarl.

This greasy slimy mouthpiece for Ashley is the biggest two faced charlatan ever to set foot through the gates and  doors  of St James. This c*ntflap has done nothing but tout our best players to the highest bidder since day one, then he has the gall to sit in front of the cameras acting all hard done by. What a complete and utter c*nt.

That is all. :-D

Yes - all in a very good nutshell Wally. Nothing will change while Ashley owns the club ; by your username I reckon you must be one of the older fans like Big Geordie, Mick and myself...we've seen it all before under McKeag & Co but thought those days were gone.KK stated on ESPN that whilst Ashley is at SJP he has no interest in the club and many older fans now share his opinion.

If performances fall off until the end of the season more will follow because the club is taking their money and laughing at them whilst selling the best players.

However inevitable this transfer may be in some people's eyes, it's still depressing. Especially with the perennially penniless Everton sitting there above us and not taking what must be their best chance to cash in big on Baines, who's older than Cabaye into the bargain.

Fellaini leaving in the summer might help them out in that respect.

Indeed, but there is a stronger case of Felliani being a must sell at that price. To their credit, Everton are only +12M on transfer activity this year, and most of that may have gone on financing all those loans.

We are the only club in the the league if not the whole of England that is not striving to be the best club that it can possibly be and that's what depresses me most about not just the sale of Cabaye but the whole Mike Ashley era. I wonder if one day this misery will ever end.

Unsurprising and par for the course with the incumbent administration.  We have no desire to improve, only to exist in our current form.

The potential that this club has and the way it is being run is fucking galling.

We got 50 million or something in the summer from the mega TV deal and didn't buy anyone, not sure why getting less than 20 million now will change this. A progressive, forward thinking club would have a contingency plan already in place should this situation occur, so I'm not go give them any slack in there only being 4 days left of the window to find a replacement, which I'm sure is going to feature in Pardew's next chat to the press.

We got 50 million or something in the summer from the mega TV deal and didn't buy anyone, not sure why getting less than 20 million now will change this. A progressive, forward thinking club would have a contingency plan already in place should this situation occur, so I'm not go give them any slack in there only being 4 days left of the window to find a replacement, which I'm sure is going to feature in Pardew's next chat to the press.

I''m not sure how much we got last year via TV deals but the money for the new TV deal (BT Sport) isn't paid out until this summer. Clubs including ourselves (last January) started spending it early.

However inevitable this transfer may be in some people's eyes, it's still depressing. Especially with the perennially penniless Everton sitting there above us and not taking what must be their best chance to cash in big on Baines, who's older than Cabaye into the bargain.

Indeed, but there is a stronger case of Felliani being a must sell at that price. To their credit, Everton are only +12M on transfer activity this year, and most of that may have gone on financing all those loans.

Surely in Everton's case the extra TV money will have been used to pretty much wiped out their debts, or at least reduce them to a level where they can  be serviced without hampering their ability to do things that normal clubs do, you know, try to improve the team and finish as high up the table as possible. Our money seems to disappear into thin air. Or fat pockets, if you prefer.

Whilst I fully understand the doom and gloom on here, I'm personally happy with the sale. Cabaye is naturally a class act and very much underrated given his pretty unique passing/shooting technique, but at the same time he does have flaws that render him far from ideal in this AM position (one paced, can't dribble, tends to rush things when pressed, the consistency in execution doesn't match the ability, questionable stamina at times). Anything above £20m is a good price for a player who could well throw another strop in the summer in a bid to leave, and I think he's hit a purple patch in the past 2 months as at least a couple of his goals have taken decisive deflections to bounce past the keeper.

It's a good time to sell too in terms of the bigger picture. Virtually zero risk of relegation, if the team flops badly because Cabaye isn't there to pull the strings then we'll be able to try to remedy that in the summer (you'd hope). If someone else steps up, then it's good money we can invest in other positions. If we were to sell in the summer and then find out in 14/15 that we're utter s*** without Cabaye, we'd be potentially looking at another panic buy in January amid another relegation dogfight under Pardew. A sale now buys us more time.

And on the "stepping up" note, I think Marveaux in the little we've seen of him could well be a more effective player in the same position, as could Ben Arfa (especially given that the latter has frequently drifted into that area of the pitch in games where he isn't getting the ball on the wing - and has often had his dribbles down the middle). This should be an opportunity to utilize a flair player in Cabaye's role, especially if we're going to have that position surrounded by defensive/workmanlike players. If we don't, then the problem lies with the infuriatingly incompetent manager we have - not the transfer policy. With or without Cabaye we should be absolutely trouncing Norwich and the Mackems, and in style too.

I may be wrong, but I did read that he could buy his contract out at the end of the season. Now if this is true we be mad not to sell him now as I am sure they would be lots of clubs willing to take him on at such a low fee....

Whilst I fully understand the doom and gloom on here, I'm personally happy with the sale. Cabaye is naturally a class act and very much underrated given his pretty unique passing/shooting technique, but at the same time he does have flaws that render him far from ideal in this AM position (one paced, can't dribble, tends to rush things when pressed, the consistency in execution doesn't match the ability, questionable stamina at times). Anything above £20m is a good price for a player who could well throw another strop in the summer in a bid to leave, and I think he's hit a purple patch in the past 2 months as at least a couple of his goals have taken decisive deflections to bounce past the keeper.

It's a good time to sell too in terms of the bigger picture. Virtually zero risk of relegation, if the team flops badly because Cabaye isn't there to pull the strings then we'll be able to try to remedy that in the summer (you'd hope). If someone else steps up, then it's good money we can invest in other positions. If we were to sell in the summer and then find out in 14/15 that we're utter s*** without Cabaye, we'd be potentially looking at another panic buy in January amid another relegation dogfight under Pardew. A sale now buys us more time.

And on the "stepping up" note, I think Marveaux in the little we've seen of him could well be a more effective player in the same position, as could Ben Arfa (especially given that the latter has frequently drifted into that area of the pitch in games where he isn't getting the ball on the wing - and has often had his dribbles down the middle). This should be an opportunity to utilize a flair player in Cabaye's role, especially if we're going to have that position surrounded by defensive/workmanlike players. If we don't, then the problem lies with the infuriatingly incompetent manager we have - not the transfer policy. With or without Cabaye we should be absolutely trouncing Norwich and the Mackems, and in style too.

God not this Marveaux sh**e again.

They recognize that their biggest investment as a club has to be in a good manager. From the looks of it so far, they've left clubs like ours in the dust simply with a common sense appointment.

I do think we'll replace him adequately as we always have, probably during the summer because there's not a whole lot of time left in this window.

It's just depressing though. One in, one out, the squad just staying constant at this level regardless of how much money comes into the club from player sales, no hope for improvement.

I can actually understand Ashley's thinking from a business standpoint, as the marginal cost and risk associated with trying to compete anywhere above our current level is extremely high, but from a fan's standpoint it's depressing as fuck. Shepard may have run the club irresponsibly, but at least he sold us loads of false hope.

I do think we'll replace him adequately as we always have, probably during the summer because there's not a whole lot of time left in this window.

summer is going to be an utter nightmare man, just off the top of my head:

shola out according to all pardew noise (i think they'll give him a year extension mind)

remy will surely never sign

= minimum 2 strikers really needed

cabaye replacement needed

colo situation needs resolving and him replacing if he goes

need shot of obertan, gosling, marveaux, probably both taylors as well

and that'd just be to stand still really or arguably go backwards, not even dream of progressing

personally have zero faith they can or will even try to achieve much of that never mind going beyond it

Great timing just before the derby and before the window slam shuts!

I can't wait to see who we will make a fake bid for.

What did that joke say again no one will leave this window, there actually laughing at us and the state of them fat c***s.

Sick of this club being run to the ground but big Joe and fat ash will stroll in to st James not a bother on them

I can understand the frustration, it is always disappointing to lose popular and instrumental players. I can't however understand how people didn't see this coming.

The Mackem game wasn't put here by the club, its sods law. The possibility of someone getting sold in the build up to the game was always a possibility from when the fixture list was released. Also what the hell does it matter whether we say no-one leaves, we don't dictate when another club bids for our players and the club have stated constantly that every player has his price.

If anything PSG and the club have done the right thing by getting this done with days left in the window, rather than on Friday, which would have been easy. We also have been backed into a bit of a corner by being offered over 3 times his value come the end of the season when he can buy out his contract.

This is the nature of the transfer window. Yes its reasonable to be upset, but lets be rationale rather than laying the hate on the board. No one is expected to leave the club doesn't mean no-one will leave the club. It means no-one is forcing a move and we don't want anyone to leave. Some deals make sense for the better of the club. This is one of them.

Yes then there is the can of worms about reinvesting this money or not.. and while Carroll has not been replaced like for like the money has brought us some really influential players.

Hello Alan...!

Yeah of course, some rational thought amongst the hysteria and conspiracy theories = Regime advocate. I'm just not so embittered I can't still strive to look at both sides of an argument or situation, look at fact or even look for positives. Not that I blame anyone like yourself for being at that stage, certainly supporters that have been around even far longer than myself.

I'm not arguing about the shitehawks that run our club or the charlatan that manages it. Its not an argument of why Cabaye wants out. Its an argument over the mass hysteria about the timing of this transfer. Which if fans couldn't see coming they likely deserve the hysteria they are creating for themselves. It is a transfer window that just happens to close before

- The potential of selling a player before the Derby was a possibility from the minute the fixture list came out. This is not a timing conspiracy.

- The potential of selling Cabaye was also pretty high, considering he wanted out in September.

- The club has openly stated everyone has a price. That will always trump JFK or Pardew commenting about people staying, which is clearly only ever an "in an idea world" scenario given previous statement and quite frankly their previous history of fact.

- PSG were thrown into a move after Adrien Rabiot getting injured. The bid has been pretty quick off the heels of that and it looks like they are offering what we term acceptable for a player that again also wants out.

I understand the sadness, the bitterness. I don`t understand the shock, hysteria and conspiracy with the timing.

Now.. based less out of cynicism I can understand why they might want to sell him this window.

- His stock is as high as it has been, which could possibly dip like last year.

- PSG has need for him, given injuries - increases value

- He is not cuptied in Europe which increases his value

- The market price is slightly higher now.

- The timing is better now than deadline day, and would likely not have happened without Rabiots injury-Getting a replacement now is better than the summer in terms of bedding him in as we have nothing left to play for. (yes un-merited leap of faith we want to sign a replacement this week)

- Likewise with nothing left to play for and relatively safe in the league, now is a better time to lose him than farting around throughout the summer waiting for bids for him and hindering pre-season.

I would have liked to have seen him go for more money but if he wants out now and that is the interest, will there be offers in this region in the summer.. if he has a great world cup probably. In that the move is possibly short sighted. Again it depends if he will throw his toys out of the pram again and whether we want another ongoing saga in the summer. Likewise if this is a cheap price where are these other suitors bidding?

I'm not asking anyone to like the situation, I don't like it, we shouldn't like selling our best players but we have been here before with Carroll and come out stronger from it. There is plenty to doom-monger about with what are club is right now but people are adding un-neccesary hysteria to something that we all knew was going to happen.

Alan... is that you? :)  Imposter.

Can't believe people can be happy with this. Selling the best player we have without any realistic replacement. At a time where the league is probably going to be as open as we'll ever see it.

But rather than wanting investment into the side to push on and really challenge we have fans saying we're safe and should just sell on. Fuck that shit, how can you complain about the owner and manager lacking ambition when you display it openly yourselves.

Well one thing this abomination of a regime has done is successfully produced a down-trodden, bitter fan base with seriously low expectations. Much is making the best of a bad situation. PSG have bid big money, albeit probably slightly less than we would want and maybe could get (no other bidders in sight so far though?)..and more importantly the player wants to go. If we are given the choice I doubt there is anyone here that doesn't want to keep him, certainly on current form.

Basically Ashley is not going to dig into his pocket and show the ambition that we as fans crave, nae deserve and what the club needs to push on to a top four/five level. He made that clear several years back. This is our only realistic opportunity to push on by signing two/three quality players with large upside for every one that we sell.

There really shouldn't be any excuse for not having a replacement lined up. This has been on the cards since July/August last year, if not sooner.

There are people here that are going to post looking for hope where it can be found, just as there are the doom mongers that will look for cynicism and negativity from every scenario. Thats what maketh the forum. 

Craig Burley seeming more upset than tmonkey and myself....Yeah I should probably be more ashamed.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/video_audio/277699.html?genre=6;sport=3