Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Cabaye is a class player - with Remy, he is the most effective and talented player we have when it comes to overall team contribution and I make no apologies for repeating this again.

HBA may have more natural talent, but when it  comes to selecting who makes the biggest impact on how the side play, Cabaye would be in my team before him every time.

He IS undoubtedly looking for a move and who can blame him ? He would look even better in a team like Arsenal or Man U(who I think need him more than anyone else), but at least he is giving 100% to our cause while he is at SJP and I don't believe he would want to leave if we had a more ambitious set up which intended to chase the game's honours. He was world class yesterday.

If Cabaye leaving meant Anita would become a crucial player next season i'm all for it. It would be a shame to lose Cabaye but I think Anita's more than good enough to take his place.

Anita is a neat and tidy player but he is no replacement for Cabaye - he doesn't have Cabaye's tackling ability, range of passes or, crucially, power of shot.

You are dreaming if you think Anita is a replacement for Cabaye - we will be lucky to find a player as good for twice the fee Ashley will be prepared to spend.....

France qualifying for the World Cup is one of the best things to happen this season. Sissoko, Debuchy and Cabaye have all blown hot and cold this year and flit in and out of the French team (except MD). The motivation of getting in their squad and team must be massive. Just look at Shola!

Cabaye would be daft to leave in January. Any half decent agent will be telling him to play well this season, have a good World Cup and then get your big move. World cups always inflate fees, salaries etc so there is a lot for them all to gain. And good luck to him if he gets a good transfer - players come and go and if we've got 3 seasons out of him for £5m investment then we can't have many complaints

If Cabaye leaving meant Anita would become a crucial player next season i'm all for it. It would be a shame to lose Cabaye but I think Anita's more than good enough to take his place.

Anita is a neat and tidy player but he is no replacement for Cabaye - he doesn't have Cabaye's tackling ability, range of passes or, crucially, power of shot.

You are dreaming if you think Anita is a replacement for Cabaye - we will be lucky to find a player as good for twice the fee Ashley will be prepared to spend.....

While I agree with the rest of your post, I would say Anita is a far better tackler than Cabaye, as he should be, being a defensive player. Cabaye's qualities are going forward, his tackling is usually pretty bad IMO.

While I agree with the rest of your post, I would say Anita is a far better tackler than Cabaye, as he should be, being a defensive player. Cabaye's qualities are going forward, his tackling is usually pretty bad IMO.

Don't agree tbh Cabaye is a fantastic tackler.... Anita is better at the old intercepting lark but anyway he's no Cabaye if Cabaye were to go and i expect it to happen after the WC we need a more offensive player than Anita.

So long as he keeps up the performances I'm not fussed. We were lucky to even get him here and for such a good price when he was already playing in the champions league. He is good enough to play in the competition for a top club so I'm just going to enjoy his performances for now. He seems to enjoy playing for the toon and gives his all and I can't argue with his ambition to play at the highest level.

France qualifying for the World Cup is one of the best things to happen this season. Sissoko, Debuchy and Cabaye have all blown hot and cold this year and flit in and out of the French team (except MD). The motivation of getting in their squad and team must be massive. Just look at Shola!

Cabaye would be daft to leave in January. Any half decent agent will be telling him to play well this season, have a good World Cup and then get your big move. World cups always inflate fees, salaries etc so there is a lot for them all to gain. And good luck to him if he gets a good transfer - players come and go and if we've got 3 seasons out of him for £5m investment then we can't have many complaints

Nigeria qualifying hasn't done us much harm either :lol:

Cabaye misses a lot of tackles on players who are a bit pacey. The amount of times I've seen opponents striding past him only for him to lunge desperately at them with his little legs and bring them down late I'm surprised he hasn't got a booking record more like Tiote's.

Blanc looking for a CM..Just saying..

I heard that and i don't get that at all.... they have a great midfield 3 with young talent behind them.

In any case i said before i expect him to go in the summer and have prepared for this outcome its not going to hit me as hard as Carroll did for example because i can see it coming.

Just going to enjoy him until then and what happens we'll deal with.

Blanc looking for a CM..Just saying..

I heard that and i don't get that at all.... they have a great midfield 3 with young talent behind them.

In any case i said before i expect him to go in the summer and have prepared for this outcome its not going to hit me as hard as Carroll did for example because i can see it coming.

Just going to enjoy him until then and what happens we'll deal with.

In summer £15m plus Rabiot and we're laughing

Hope Cabaye doesn't get slagged too much when he leaves for a club with ambition

I think that will depend on how it happens, you know MA won't budge on price and we rate Yo very highly. If it gets messy and Cabaye sulks or trues to force a move when the buying club won't pay what we want it could all get a bit nasty.

Hope Cabaye doesn't get slagged too much when he leaves for a club with ambition

I wouldn't do it (slag him off), three seasons without the CL is a lot for someone who's played in it regularly. If we can get a fair price for him next summer then we can look to replace with a player that has the same mindset he had when he arrived.

I wouldn't do it, three seasons without the CL is a lot for someone who's played in it regularly. If we can get a fair price for him next summer then we can look to replace with a player that has the same mindset he had when he arrived.

I think this is the best case scenario personally, given he has no ties to the club I can't expect loyalty.

3 years of service and a healthy profit is the best we can hope for.

Sad really

Guest firetotheworks

If people are going to boo Milner, who worked his arse off, was fucked about by Shepherd, and then sold against his and Keegan's will for a tidy profit, then they're obviously going to boo Cabaye.

People boo by default now. It's pathetic.

I wouldn't do it (slag him off), three seasons without the CL is a lot for someone who's played in it regularly. If we can get a fair price for him next summer then we can look to replace with a player that has the same mindset he had when he arrived.

'Regularly' is a bit too far for someone who played in the CL for only his first 2 seasons at Lille tbh.

'Regularly' is a bit too far for someone who played in the CL for only his first 2 seasons at Lille tbh.

2 seasons is 2 seasons. There's not many players who have played CL will give it up for good to stay at a club which has no intention of playing in it.

2 seasons is 2 seasons. There's not many players who have played CL will give it up for good to stay at a club which has no intention of playing in it.

He's come to a club who has played regular CL football though.

Tbf in his first season he was still in with a shout going into the last game, last season got to a European Quarter Final and is in a team currently a couple of points off 2nd place.

Well if we get a CL spot I'm sure he'll change his mind and stay :lol: