Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I bet Levy couldve got it up to £40m.

Levy is about as good as there is at extracting value, but we got £35 million for Andy Carroll which will probably rank as the all time over-valuation. Yohan was really poor last season and whatever is going on around them great players will show their class - and he didn't. £15 million would be a decent piece of business on the face of it, what happens to that money is for another discussion.....

Paris Saint-Germain are ready to outbid Arsenal for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye and deal another transfer market blow to Arsene Wenger.

The under-fire Arsenal manager, in Istanbul with his team for tonight’s Champions League play-off first leg against Fenerbahce, has had a frustrating summer as he seeks to spend his £80million war chest.

Arsenal bid £12m on Sunday for Cabaye, 27, but PSG may be prepared to offer as much as £20m for the cultured midfielder.

To miss out again would be a bitter blow to Wenger, who is under pressure after hostile supporters protested during and after Saturday’s 3-1 home defeat by Aston Villa in their Premier League opener.

Newcastle chairman Mike Ashley and manager Alan Pardew, angered by the timing of Arsenal’s approach and their valuation, are virtually resigned to losing the France star. Cabaye was left out of Monday night’s 4-0 thrashing at Manchester City, but they are reluctant to do business with the north London club.

Ashley revealed that Cabaye was his favourite Newcastle player and a contingent from Newcastle flew to Paris to meet Cabaye’s representatives on Tuesday. They are also prepared to meet PSG officials.

PSG coach Laurent Blanc also upset Pardew in particular during the summer with his public pursuit of the player who joined Newcastle two years ago and has become an integral part of the side.

Cabaye is one of five players Newcastle fought to keep 12 months ago following their Europa League qualification and Pardew was hoping to pull off the same feat this summer. His departure would be a blow but his sale could help the club, who have again faced criticism from supporters over their lack of transfer acitivity.

Pardew and his director of football Joe Kinnear, who have signed only one senior player this summer in loanee Loic Remy from Queens Park Rangers, will be keen to spend Ashley’s cash but there is no guarantee the owner will make it all available.

Wenger hit back at critics and defended his transfer business over the years at Arsenal.

Wenger arrived in Istanbul for a vital clash against Fenerbahce four days after Arsenal’s 3-1 defeat by Aston Villa.

Their clearly rattled manager, who is under fire for failing to sign players, said: ‘In the last 16 years we have been very successful with transfers. The players who play are top quality players and you should never forget that.’

He did offer some succour to Arsenal fans, adding: ‘We are a bit short now but I don’t worry. Less than two weeks until the transfer window closes is a long time and 75 per cent of things happen in the last 10 days.’

As for Pardew’s complaint that Arsenal’s bid for Cabaye had unsettled the player and was ‘disrespectful’ — coming on the eve of their opening Barclays Premier League game at Manchester City — Wenger said: ‘It’s not down to me to explain everything I do.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2398544/PSG-ready-thwart-Arsene-Wenger-offering-20m-Arsenal-target-Cabaye.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Guest bimpy474

Hope he does go back to France tbh, really hate seeing our (ex) players playing for someone else in our league.

Was going to 'FYP' that with "someone else better in our league".

Then I realised that's currently everyone. So effectively the same thing! :lol:

:okay:

True right now :lol:

We'd need a new first choice CM if Cabaye goes, like. That'll cost a fair bit. Marveux won't stay fit for a season to take on that and Anita and Sissoko aren't the right players. Tiote doesn't get a mention. s***, I just did. If we get 15m for Cabaye, how much is a solid, straight in, hit the ground running replacement going to cost? 10m?

Then we still need a winger and a Striker. A lot of work in 2 weeks for the plebs we have in charge. Unless Carr and Charnley say to Ashley, "aye, we'll fly out with Joe, keep him company, keep him off the lager", then tie him up in the baggage area.

If Sissoko can't play that role then what position has he been brought here to play?

CM. But he isn't a passing/ball playing CM what so ever. Is he? He should be the muscle and drive. Someone else should be the ball winner/interceptor and someone else should be the clever, passing, creator.

If he's not a defensive mid then he could surely play as an attacking one in front of say Anita.  He's not a direct replacement for Cabaye but you could still play him in a 442. Especially in a Parade shoe.

Doesn't really matter what happens to him now. Any respect a fan had for him before should be gone after a stunt like this - assuming he refused to play, of course.

Even if we did get 20 million for him, I don't think it would be fully reinvested anyway. Even if it was, I can't see it being in a proper quality replacement / upgrade. They're likely to be misused / played out of position anyway.

Suppose he stays and this thing blows over this window, he'll either have to be a fully committed pro (which doesn't seem to be the case at the moment) or he'll sulk and twist until January / next summer.

Whatever happens is going to be depressing in any case. It's a shame we couldn't appoint a manager who will dare to be ambitious, or play to his players main strengths. We might actually do quite well in keeping players of this calibre  :sad:

Doesn't really matter what happens to him now. Any respect a fan had for him before should be gone after a stunt like this - assuming he refused to play, of course.

Even if we did get 20 million for him, I don't think it would be fully reinvested anyway. Even if it was, I can't see it being in a proper quality replacement / upgrade. They're likely to be misused / played out of position anyway.

Suppose he stays and this thing blows over this window, he'll either have to be a fully committed pro (which doesn't seem to be the case at the moment) or he'll sulk and twist until January / next summer.

Whatever happens is going to be depressing in any case. It's a shame we couldn't appoint a manager who will dare to be ambitious, or play to his players main strengths. We might actually do quite well in keeping players of this calibre  :sad:

Quite a big assumption.

If that's wrong then, the club pulled him. Which is preferable?

Pardew leaving him out, if Pardew felt Cabaye's mind wasn't on the game and withdrew him becasue of it, that's certainly better than Cabaye refusing to play.

Neither's very good. But at least if the club pulled him because Pardew didn't think his head was right, then there's a better chance his head can improve, or was OK to begin with, and he can come back.

Guest icemanblue

Neither's very good. But at least if the club pulled him because Pardew didn't think his head was right, then there's a better chance his head can improve, or was OK to begin with, and he can come back.

That's not going to happen now, like. Unless we get to the end of the window without agreeing a deal.

That's not going to happen now, like. Unless we get to the end of the window without agreeing a deal.

Nah I know it's unlikely, I was just answering the question about refusing to play versus being withdrawn by the club.

Guest neesy111

Do we know that he even traveled to Manchester?  As the news from North London yesterday was the bid came in on Friday.

He was long gone when that first bid came through the fax machine... I srsly highly doubt he REFUSED to play, more that Pardew thought Cabaye was ready to leave (mind wasn't on the game), but could we have done much worse with him in the team than we did without?

If he wants to leave, he should put a transfer request in.

and lose his 'loyalty' bonus? Why would he want to do that when it's pretty clear the club are willing to sell.

If he wants to leave, he should put a transfer request in.

I got told that he didn't want to go down route of transfer request as he would stay if offers weren't made but he would prefer a move away preferably back to France and Monaco if they came calling, but he wouldn’t be kicking up a fuss to do so. Obviously when situation pans on things could change.