Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest young master

This lad seems to have a very solid scoring and assist record (scoring wasn't quite as high last season) he doesn't sound particularly defensive.

well he may not be a strictly defensive midfielder destroyer type,  he may have similar qualities to the likes of xabi alonso who plays in that deep lying midfield role but can put those balls on a sixpence from ranges and score a few.

Guest young master

Barton may have been versatile once, but he certainly isn't now.

he is versatile in terms of where he can play.  i think he can be used as an emergency def midfielder, he can player wide and centre.  Yes he's not the fastest but he had shown this season he' willing to play there even though thats not his preferred role.

im only guessing what you mean is that the handful of game she had in the centre had not been too impressive?

She?

hahaha

Guest young master

Ironically I think Barton might do ok in a 3 man centre midfield, which is where we seem to be heading.

i agree, i think that is also his best role. 

a triangle of tiote and barton with nolan at top, this may sound rather boring and convincing but i think that would have been our best centre this season with guti and some other player out wide right,  unfortunately we did not have the luxery of anyone out wide right.

Reading the French press it sounds as though this will be tied up this weekend. The other midfielder I would look at is yoann gourcuff. After his move from Bordeaux he has had an appalling season at Lyon so much so that the owner may even be tempted to sell. Cabaye's club Lille is the barcelona of the French league in terms of style and was praised by a lot of people for the way it went about winning the league and cup.

Guest young master

is this the player that pardew said we are close to signing, the international player that is not playing for a bottom of the league team?

Guest Recoba

Djibril Cisse is an odd one.  He is not young unlike Gameiro or Erdinc.  Heard the fans of Panathanaikos were turning on him, Govou and our old pal Boumsong for not putting the effort in.

Guest young master

Wouldn't surprise me if he gets serious injured tomorrow... and the deal is off.

well done.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Ironically I think Barton might do ok in a 3 man centre midfield, which is where we seem to be heading.

He'd do well.

Quite reliable, in general tbh the French press is pretty reliable, the only thing is a few papers seem to be quoting the story based on the English rumour. As the story gathers pace though, as it will do in France, then it should come up on infosport and lequipe, the most reliable